Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2016, 07:24 PM

1,400 posts, read 863,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
You're paying far more than you have to because the big insurance and big pharma companies are the biggest lobbyists in DC together with Wall Street. The current for-profit HC system is a rip-off system intended to stiff the 99% and leave people desperate and insecure. The sooner we get a Medicare-for-all system, the better.
I don't disagree with that at all. We just disagree on the solution. With respect to the ACA, there is no incentive for insurers to lower their rates when we are all mandated to purchase insurance regardless of the rates. I'd rather have a free market system with more competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 07:26 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,195,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperOscar View Post
Trying to get health insurance only when you need it is a receipt for disaster.
Nothing wrong with young, healthy people having a catastrophic plan but forcing them into a regular plan which they never use is ridiculous.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:26 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,107 times
Everyone should be covered, thats the only way everyone can get treatment for pre-existing conditions.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:31 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,984,909 times
Older folks who are discriminated against by companies when it comes to the hiring process I feel for . The younger morons who are able to work but continue popping out kids they can't afford and expect lifelong entitlements I don't feel for.

I hope this lady is taken care of

Old 11-23-2016, 07:38 PM

1,438 posts, read 778,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
I don't disagree with that at all. We just disagree on the solution. With respect to the ACA, there is no incentive for insurers to lower their rates when we are all mandated to purchase insurance regardless of the rates. I'd rather have a free market system with more competition.
Free market doesn't worth with healthcare. People don't choose to get sick.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:52 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
The free market system is what we had before the ACA. And it's how people like me, with no employer group behind us, were priced out of the market. Insurance was expensive pre-ACA as well, but many for whom it was an employee benefit didn't really see just how expensive.

As a self-employed worker, I struggled to maintain health insurance, but finally had to drop it when it soared to $800 a month. And I was healthy, didn't smoke, and never once used my insurance in the five or so years I was able to hang onto it after my divorce, and still it went up like clockwork every six months until it was beyond my ability to afford. As it was for the millions upon millions who have been eligible for expanded Medicaid. They, too, had no other access.

Healthcare should not be a commodity. It should be a basic human right. Capitalism, which exists solely to make money, should have no part in our healthcare.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:59 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,195,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The free market system is what we had before the ACA. And it's how people like me, with no employer group behind us, were priced out of the market. Insurance was expensive pre-ACA as well, but many for whom it was an employee benefit didn't really see just how expensive.

As a self-employed worker, I struggled to maintain health insurance, but finally had to drop it when it soared to $800 a month. And I was healthy, didn't smoke, and never once used my insurance in the five or so years I was able to hang onto it after my divorce, and still it went up like clockwork every six months until it was beyond my ability to afford. As it was for the millions upon millions who have been eligible for expanded Medicaid. They, too, had no other access.

Healthcare should not be a commodity. It should be a basic human right. Capitalism, which exists solely to make money, should have no part in our healthcare.
Insurance is expensive now ... self-employed ... my monthly premium for the same plan just went from $1040 to over $1700.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:59 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,485,389 times
KY is already having people lose Medicaid because of Bevin. Trump isn't in office yet.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:01 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Insurance is expensive now ... self-employed ... my monthly premium for the same plan just went from $1040 to over $1700.
As I said, healthcare should not be a commodity.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:47 PM

649 posts, read 316,457 times
Has anyone considered the possibility that medical costs are outrageous ? There should be some regulation as to how much can be charged for medical care . Also the same pill we pay $5.00 each for is sold in other countries for pennies .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies