U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2016, 09:04 PM

4,597 posts, read 3,380,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan Savage View Post
Has anyone considered the possibility that medical costs are outrageous ? There should be some regulation as to how much can be charged for medical care . Also the same pill we pay $5.00 each for is sold in other countries for pennies .
Get rid of the D.C. lobbyists and your costs will go down ... in other words, drain the swamp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 09:14 PM

1,400 posts, read 582,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The free market system is what we had before the ACA. And it's how people like me, with no employer group behind us, were priced out of the market. Insurance was expensive pre-ACA as well, but many for whom it was an employee benefit didn't really see just how expensive.

As a self-employed worker, I struggled to maintain health insurance, but finally had to drop it when it soared to $800 a month. And I was healthy, didn't smoke, and never once used my insurance in the five or so years I was able to hang onto it after my divorce, and still it went up like clockwork every six months until it was beyond my ability to afford. As it was for the millions upon millions who have been eligible for expanded Medicaid. They, too, had no other access.

Healthcare should not be a commodity. It should be a basic human right. Capitalism, which exists solely to make money, should have no part in our healthcare.
And who's responsibility is it to pay for your basic human right? It is my fundamental right to defend myself, but the government has never bought me a gun.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:20 PM

869 posts, read 438,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan Savage View Post
Has anyone considered the possibility that medical costs are outrageous ? There should be some regulation as to how much can be charged for medical care . Also the same pill we pay $5.00 each for is sold in other countries for pennies .
That's because those countries have universal health care.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:26 PM

6,175 posts, read 3,495,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I'm waiting for the narrative the GOP hands out that teaches these people to blame themselves.

Or maybe it will still be "immigrants".

Either way, I did not want this for these people. I sincerely hope they are taken care of.
The GOP will never do that to those people. They're white. They have been taken care of since LBJ.

LBJ actually set up "the Great Society" for the poor folks of Appalachia. And no matter how much it infuriates certain people, yes they are dirt poor. They're on welfare, food stamps and every single government program there is.

And yet, Ronald Reagan's black, city-dwelling, welfare queen gets blamed for living off of the government.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:29 PM

14,110 posts, read 7,630,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
As I said, healthcare should not be a commodity.
Labor is and should always be a commodity if the person working wants it to be.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:33 PM

20,586 posts, read 8,763,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
I hope the urban liberal cupcakes & buttercups get a royal screwing for their stupidity.
What stupidity?

Old 11-23-2016, 09:37 PM

6,175 posts, read 3,495,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Actually, the decline of the coal industry is a more likely explanation for eastern Kentucky voters' support of Trump. Coal has had a long history of booms and busts in Eastern Kentucky and neighboring states, and despite most of its present decline being due to lowered prices of oil and gas due to fracking and recent discoveries of new domestic oil and gas resources, Republican claiming that it's all the fault of EPA regulations pricing coal out of the market is the official line, and it's been swallowed.

King Coal is not coming back to the throne, even if the present environmental regulations (which if anything, are too lax), are completely dropped.

There's a lot more to it - inadequate education, poor health and lots of addiction of various kinds, out-migration of much of the population of 75 years ago (those with "get up and go, got up and went"), outside ownership of natural resources and resulting neo-colonial practices affecting both the land and the people (see "Night Comes to the Cumberlands", by Harry Caudill, plus "Hillbilly Elegy", by J.D. Vance), corrupt local government, cultural heritage which includes now outdated and dysfunctional world-views and practices which once were quite functional, poor infrastructure in naturally inaccessible mountainous terrain, disregard for the natural environment with mountaintop removal and resulting destruction of land, water, and people... and more.

Many of the people remaining in this part of the world cannot pull themselves up by their bootstraps. They have no bootstraps - shoot, some of them have no boots.
I read Vance's book too. My take away was a bit different from yours.

They were dirt poor when coal was still King.

Stop making excuses: they're lazy, racists and bigots. I guess that passes for "cultural heritage".

They vote their color.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:38 PM

20,586 posts, read 8,763,396 times
Quote:
My point is simply that not everyone with pre-existing conditions went without health insurance before the ACA. I don't Trump has any intention of removing coverage for those people. He speaks of interstate competition to drive prices down and I'm all for it. Getting rid of lobbyists will help as well as pharmaceutical prices are through the roof. I am self-employed as well and pay a small fortune for a high-deductible plan. Something has to be done ...
That's because of Obama when they talked after Trump won the election.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:04 AM

11,917 posts, read 3,597,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Why is it irresponsible for a young healthy person to forego insurance? Many younger people did so and they did it by choice.
I didn't say that it is. However, I do bellieve everyone should have insurance, after all, healthy people, young or otherwise, get in car wrecks, too. Most people are healthy...until they're not.

My argument is that health care is a right, not a privilege.

Old 11-24-2016, 01:32 AM

1,003 posts, read 371,766 times
Quote:
Nothing wrong with young, healthy people having a catastrophic plan but forcing them into a regular plan which they never use is ridiculous.
I remember those back in the day, using the catastrophic plan would have crippled me financially if I ever had to use it, provided the insurance company didn't just drop me when I did need to use it. Those plans were such a joke, you would have been better off putting that money under your mattress just in case and calling your mattress "health insurance."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or