Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 05:27 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
I'm sure if the mines reopen or new mines are dug, folks would be lining up in droves to work there despite the health risks. Gotta feed the family ... there are inherent risks in a lot of occupations.
The mines are not going to reopen, and what mining remains is done mostly mechanically, by blowing off the tops of the oldest mountains in the world. There is very little deep coal mining being done in Appalachia, and the belief that it's coming back is founded in deliberate falsehoods fed to people with limited education and a lot of false hope.

Please find and read those two books. Also, look out the window on the next clear day that you fly over this area. What you will see is appalling. If you can't manage that, take a look at Google Earth.

And no, you can't put it back, and you can't restore it. It is gone, forever...the oldest mountains in the world, which once bore the richest and most diverse forests in the world. And what is left is endangered.

Appalachian Tragedy...right outside your flyover plane's window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 05:28 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,195,672 times
If I were you libs, I'd build myself an underground shelter as soon as possible.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:29 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
I really don't like to bring race into things, but that's why a lot of people in red states vote the way they do. These people will be fine with having white "elites" put their boot on their neck as long as those same "elites" are stringing up black and brown people by theirs.

Those same poor folks have been voting for laws and bills that screw over minority groups. The irony is that they have been screwing over themselves by proxy.

He promises he'll make white lives better at the expense of everyone else's life and it totes won't negatively affect poor whites nope, not at all just all the other racial groups! And he does so without the dog whistles (tellin it like it is!).

Same ol argument, ad nauseam. Poor whites feel like "someone is out there representing my interests" whilst Republicans crush any legislation that allows for a living wage and fast track the off shoring of jobs to other countries...among other things.
Lets not assume that voting against their own interests is strictly a phenomenon among whites though. If black people had voted the same way the rest of the Democratic primary electorate voted, Sanders would have been the nominee, and not Wall Street Hillary.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:31 PM

Just what the folks of rural Kentucky wanted to hear ...

Clinton: 'We're Going to Put a Lot of Coal Miners and Coal Companies Out of Business' | The Weekly Standard

Old 11-23-2016, 05:34 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
Quote:
If I were you libs, I'd build myself an underground shelter as soon as possible.
You realize that this thread is not about liberals, it's about red, red, red Kentucky, where more than 440,000 poor rednecks--the majority Trump supporters--could be losing access to healthcare. Will you tell all of them to build an underground shelter, too?

Old 11-23-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
You realize that this thread is not about liberals, it's about red, red, red Kentucky, where more than 440,000 poor rednecks--the majority Trump supporters--could be losing access to healthcare. Will you tell all of them to build an underground shelter, too?
No of course not ... but they are not the libs replying on this board and saying "you get what you pay for".

Old 11-23-2016, 05:36 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyinflorida View Post
Providing healthcare in the USA is complicated, and trump is a simpleton. Most of the GOP doesn't care about anything but their own money.

Yes, it's hard to care about the electorate that mostly thinks "I don't want government to mess with my social security or healthcare", but other countries have figured it out.

I'm guessing Paul Ryan will write the GOP plan, and send those folks a voucher that won't pay diddly in an unregulated healthcare market.

Hey, we're gonna put them back in the coal mines to further destroy our planet. They be dyin' anyway....
Boy, you sure are an expert and know a lot about everything that's going to happen from what the electorate thinks to Paul Ryan's thoughts and what he's going to do, to knowing what's going to happen with the coal industry in the future.
Do you play powerball? Oh wait, didn't you say Clinton was going to win the election?

Old 11-23-2016, 05:37 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
Quote:
If I were you, I would learn to watch your tone.

I might decide to buy your land, and I may or may not allow you to work it for crops.

You have made a grave miscalculation in your understanding of class and power.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyinflorida View Post
Providing healthcare in the USA is complicated, and trump is a simpleton. Most of the GOP doesn't care about anything but their own money.

Yes, it's hard to care about the electorate that mostly thinks "I don't want government to mess with my social security or healthcare", but other countries have figured it out.

I'm guessing Paul Ryan will write the GOP plan, and send those folks a voucher that won't pay diddly in an unregulated healthcare market.

Hey, we're gonna put them back in the coal mines to further destroy our planet. They be dyin' anyway....
Are you so shortsighted you think Trump actually works by himself ?

Old 11-23-2016, 05:38 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
I have a term for this phenomenon: Political Stockholm Syndrome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies