U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2016, 07:12 PM

12,677 posts, read 4,573,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
Nothing is free, someone like me is paying for it. Like Gruber said, ObamaCare relies on the stupidity of the American voter.
You're paying far more than you have to because the big insurance and big pharma companies are the biggest lobbyists in DC together with Wall Street. The current for-profit HC system is a rip-off system intended to stiff the 99% and leave people desperate and insecure. The sooner we get a Medicare-for-all system, the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 07:14 PM

10,366 posts, read 8,343,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Surely, banning abortion, homosexual rights and Muslims are more important issues to the them than their own health.
Nope, it's about coal. Many of the doctors in this area are Muslim, btw. Gay rights and abortion are secondary considerations - not much support for either, but coal is what drove Trump voters in this area. See my previous posts in this thread.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:14 PM

4,672 posts, read 2,285,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Sometimes you have to learn the hard way. How many times must we coddle folks who slit their own throats?

I voted for Barack Obama twice because I wanted poor people to have health care. That wish extended to poor whites who may hold very few of my values. They're still Americans, they deserve health care.

Rural Kentucky voted AGAINST Obama twice because they thought his health care reform would be a "government takeover" and another "handout to lazy minorities".

They showed zero compassion for people who needed health care and shot themselves in the own foot to deny that privilege to people who they claim are lazy and undeserving.

Now I'm supposed to feel bad for these people after they took advantage of the system they fought against, and STILL voted to destroy out of ignorance? I'm supposed to think their economic anxiety is important? HA!

I thought that way every time I voted for a president who promised to improve their lives. Their resentment was so great that they were blinded to the VERY PROMISES their candidate made.

Sorry, rural America. Find your bootstraps and start pulling. I'm done helping you.
^Exactly!

Old 11-23-2016, 07:15 PM

1,003 posts, read 370,445 times
If the Republicans get rid of Medicare, Medicaid, and the ACA for a voucher system, it will be the red states that will suffer the most....so it is kind of hard to feel sorry for them....

Old 11-23-2016, 07:15 PM

10,366 posts, read 8,343,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Why do these people shoot themselves in the foot? The only thing I can think of us ignorance.
Please read my previous posts in this thread for an explanation and information about many Trump supporters from this area. It's all about coal, and Trump's perceived support for the coal industry.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:17 PM

4,716 posts, read 3,321,873 times
With the rampant use of meth in Kentucky the folks probably won't even realize they're sick.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:19 PM

26,554 posts, read 11,103,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
No, but I am another person who has gone without insurance, while working, and not by choice. I have generally heard that question asked in tones of deep disapproval, with the implication that I was simply being irresponsible.

If that was not your intention, I assure you, you have my sincerest apologies.
Why is it irresponsible for a young healthy person to forego insurance? Many younger people did so and they did it by choice.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:21 PM

4,597 posts, read 3,377,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyinflorida View Post
If you did a websearch, you would have learned that setting up a network of providers in another state is pretty hard (and probably expensive).

This is just GOP BS. Rich people can pay for golden health insurance/healthcare. They want the rest of us to just go away.

As for the catastrophic plan, it's all about reducing the price of medical care. I have a 10,000 deductible, that also includes generic medicine. When I blow out a spinal disc, I can get an MRI for 200 vs 1500. I have generic monthly medicine that I pay 10 dollars but retails for 300 dollars.

The AMA gave me a "free" colonoscopy (that's 2k and I sure wouldn't have paid to have that, but if I had rectal cancer, you all would have paid for my care). I get free yearly screenings and flu shots. If we keep the flu in check it's better for society.

Do you really thing the trumpster understands the complexity of healthcare, or most anything else? Yes, he knows how procure mail order brides, and how to put his name on everything, and how to play grabass with his daughter (ewwww). I'll say it again. Did we really elect the donald?
I was actually going to respond to your post, but the last paragraph turned me off. Good luck to ya ...

Old 11-23-2016, 07:22 PM

26,554 posts, read 11,103,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Please read my previous posts in this thread for an explanation and information about many Trump supporters from this area. It's all about coal, and Trump's perceived support for the coal industry.
And you hit the nail right on the head. If that region was doing well because of coal, or any reason, this wouldn't be a topic. That the majority in that region have a need for medicaid is a just symptom. In order to solve any problem, treat the cause.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:22 PM

1,003 posts, read 370,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Why is it irresponsible for a young healthy person to forego insurance? Many younger people did so and they did it by choice.
Trying to get health insurance only when you need it is a receipt for disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or