Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 07:18 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

This is good to see that Sanders is speaking out about this . He must realize it's a losing strategy.
He totally slammed Hillary too. I know he probably felt like he sold part of his soul to endorse her.
Sanders speaking a lot of truth here but it seems many in his party likely won't listen

____
Bernie Sanders said Monday that the path to success for Democrats has to be through more than just identity politics, adding that it’s simply not enough for the party to base its appeals on diversity.

“It’s not good enough for someone to say, ‘I’m a woman! Vote for me!’” No, that’s not good enough. What we need is a woman who has the guts to stand up to Wall Street, to the insurance companies, to the drug companies, to the fossil fuel industry,” the Vermont independent senator and former Democratic presidential candidate said in a not-so-subtle rebuke to Hillary Clinton.

"“We need candidates — black, white and Latino and gay and male, we need all of that. But we need all of those candidates and officials to have the guts to stand up to the oligarchy. That is the fight of today.”"

link Sanders slams identity politics as Democrats figure out their future - POLITICO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 07:23 PM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Too little, too late.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:24 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
This is good to see that Sanders is speaking out about this . He must realize it's a losing strategy.
He totally slammed Hillary too. I know he probably felt like he sold part of his soul to endorse her.
Sanders speaking a lot of truth here but it seems many in his party likely won't listen

____
Bernie Sanders said Monday that the path to success for Democrats has to be through more than just identity politics, adding that it’s simply not enough for the party to base its appeals on diversity.

“It’s not good enough for someone to say, ‘I’m a woman! Vote for me!’” No, that’s not good enough. What we need is a woman who has the guts to stand up to Wall Street, to the insurance companies, to the drug companies, to the fossil fuel industry,” the Vermont independent senator and former Democratic presidential candidate said in a not-so-subtle rebuke to Hillary Clinton.

"“We need candidates — black, white and Latino and gay and male, we need all of that. But we need all of those candidates and officials to have the guts to stand up to the oligarchy. That is the fight of today.”"

link Sanders slams identity politics as Democrats figure out their future - POLITICO
It's a little late for this so called revolutionary especially since he sold out to Hillary.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:27 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Here is the speech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi268U37S04&t=20s

Old 11-23-2016, 07:33 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
The Dems pulled a number on Bernie and ousted him in the dirtiest manner. They halted all the class politics and switched to identity politics because they knew Clinton was all about globalization, corporate interests, Wall St, and pro-establishment.

Soon it became all about identity.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:36 PM

610 posts, read 533,286 times
This is a bunch of baloney on his part, don't believe it. I saw him in an interview last week and he was playing identity politics like an expert. He, as much as the Clintons, deserves to be forgotten.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:44 PM

Well at first he was riding the populist wave but then after Hillary got the nod he switched his tune too. I wonder who got to him. He didn't really champion identity politics a whole lot. He still subscribes to it but it was always secondary.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:45 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
This is interesting this book came out 10 years ago , so true.

The Trouble With Diversity: How We Learned to Love Identity and Ignore Inequality, which makes the unpopular argument that liberalism's single-minded obsession with diversity is a tool used by elites to distract from the greater evils of worker exploitation and economic inequality. Michaels argues that social justice is perceived as served if the top classes at Ivy League colleges contain a percentage of women, black people, and Latinos proportionate to the population—ignoring the lack of opportunity for those who don't go to college. Likewise, it's considered a victory if minorities or women become executives at Fortune 500 companies, whether or not workers at those companies are paid a living wage. In other words, liberals are OK with inequality so long as it's diverse inequality.

Walter Benn Michaels on how liberals still love diversity and ignore inequality | Lit Feature | Chicago Reader

Old 11-23-2016, 07:46 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert137 View Post
This is a bunch of baloney on his part, don't believe it. I saw him in an interview last week and he was playing identity politics like an expert. He, as much as the Clintons, deserves to be forgotten.
Thats not true at all. He talks about it here as well. 30 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvC_w-gXOjo

Old 11-23-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
This is interesting this book came out 10 years ago , so true.

The Trouble With Diversity: How We Learned to Love Identity and Ignore Inequality, which makes the unpopular argument that liberalism's single-minded obsession with diversity is a tool used by elites to distract from the greater evils of worker exploitation and economic inequality. Michaels argues that social justice is perceived as served if the top classes at Ivy League colleges contain a percentage of women, black people, and Latinos proportionate to the population—ignoring the lack of opportunity for those who don't go to college. Likewise, it's considered a victory if minorities or women become executives at Fortune 500 companies, whether or not workers at those companies are paid a living wage. In other words, liberals are OK with inequality so long as it's diverse inequality.

Walter Benn Michaels on how liberals still love diversity and ignore inequality | Lit Feature | Chicago Reader

WOW I buy it. I mean whenever I bring this up to my liberal friends they're like a deer in headlights. All they seem to care about is ending what they think is a white supremacist patriarchy. They only care about social issues and identity politics.

With Bernie many got on board with class but as soon as he was booted out Hillary took over and it was all about identity again. I honestly think younger liberals don't know or don't care about the economy. Whenever I bring up how much of a corporate shill Hillary is they just don't care. She was MORE pro-corporate than Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies