Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2016, 09:11 AM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I went from merely disliking rightists to seeing they are the cancer of humanity.

In answer to the Q:
How did this election change you?

From suspecting that US is on the road to ruin, to the absolute knowledge that it is. When gutter-level politics and nonstop lies, and celebration of ignorance and the "uneducated" result in the triumph of a disgusting, lying, know-nothing snake oil salesman lacking any moral compass whatsover, there is no hope.

None at all.

Including the "uneducated" is not celebrating them. Then again, no one group needs to be celebrated, but all Americans should be included. Something the dems should have considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 10:05 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
It made made realize that anti-intellectualism is still alive and well in America. I too am worried about the rejection of free trade. Free trade has been one of the greatest achievements of modern time. It has vastly reduced poverty rates and helped to overthrow dictators all over the world. I am more convinced than ever that we need to convince people living in the Rust Belt and Appalachia to move to economically prosperous major metropolitan areas. We are giving them false hope that industries will return to their areas. More and more jobs are being concentrated in major metropolitan areas and these people should move there. Politicians need to be honest and tell these people that there are plenty of jobs for them in Silicon Valley, Houston, New York, Boston, Dallas, Los Angeles, Miami, etc. They could perform jobs currently being done by illegal immigrants and this would help solve unemployment problems and immigration issues in one swoop. This could be complementing by a surge of apartment building to lower the high cost of housing in these prosperous areas.
"It made made realize that anti-intellectualism is still alive and well in America."

Explain, please.

The small businesses employ MORE people then big business and are located EVERYWHERE in in the U.S.

You do NOT need to go to big cities in order to get jobs.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I've become more cynical. People who I respected turned out in droves to vote for a man who lied to them day after day, used dangerous campaign rhetoric and whose words hurt so many others, scared them too. As another poster said, this election highlighted just how rampant anti-intellectualism is in this country. Its infuriating to me that we have so much access to information and people refuse to educate themselves. "You can lead a horse to water..."

I've lost a few friends and family members over this election. I can't stand by and do nothing when someone shows themselves to be racist fools. That is how bad things happen to good people - silence.
"I've become more cynical. People who I respected turned out in droves to vote for a man who lied to them day after day, used dangerous campaign rhetoric and whose words hurt so many others, scared them too, etc."

We are talking about the Trump victory NOT the Obama admin.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Enjoy your Thanksgiving. I'm tired of arguing.
" I'm tired of arguing"

This is a DISCUSSION forum NOT a pace to just "argue"!

You need to find another outlet for your depression.

To answer the question.

The dems CAUSED about 900 political seats across the country since they took control back in '07 to change from dem to repub.

For this, I am ECSTATIC!

Old 11-28-2016, 10:11 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" I'm tired of arguing"

This is a DISCUSSION forum NOT a pace to just "argue"!

You need to find another outlet for your depression.
Don't like what I post? Place me on ignore.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:14 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,739,460 times
It made me reach across the aisle, embrace my brothers/sisters (well I didn't embrace my sisters as that's misogynistic...) to bring an end to this divisiveness, end the hatred, remember we are not red states, we are not blue states, we are:
Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Indigo
Violet

States and we will move towards an ecumenical place where unicorns and water sprites dance merry and gay... the sun shines bright on my old 'American home, Tis winter the... oops can't sing the next part.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:20 AM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"It made made realize that anti-intellectualism is still alive and well in America."

Explain, please.

The small businesses employ MORE people then big business and are located EVERYWHERE in in the U.S.

You do NOT need to go to big cities in order to get jobs.

Bubble-ites only see the bubble(s).

Old 11-28-2016, 10:37 AM

451 posts, read 236,083 times
MAde me proud. Finally someone who will put America and Americans first! And finally get rid of the illegal vermin!

Old 11-28-2016, 11:33 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
For me, the biggest shock was unfair media bias. I was expecting a fair commentary on candidates & their party, criticizing them as well as giving credit where it is due.
Have to agree with you there. Trump played the "MSM" like a fiddle. He completely owes this election to CNN, who continued to grant his campaign legitimacy, who repeated ad nauseum every tweet he made, who continuously rehashed every ridiculous statement, meanwhile ignoring most of the legitimate debate and discussion that was underway with other candidates. At the end of the day, CNN's sensationalistic reporting did FAR more to get Trump elected than Fox ever could - he loved every minute of it.

Last edited by GearHeadDave; 11-28-2016 at 12:10 PM..

Old 11-28-2016, 11:36 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I went from merely disliking rightists to seeing they are the cancer of humanity.

In answer to the Q:
How did this election change you?

From suspecting that US is on the road to ruin, to the absolute knowledge that it is. When gutter-level politics and nonstop lies, and celebration of ignorance and the "uneducated" result in the triumph of a disgusting, lying, know-nothing snake oil salesman lacking any moral compass whatsover, there is no hope.

None at all.
We've been going here for decades, the Radical Right hasn't changed a bit - it's just that Internet technology has allowed them to band together and bond in a way that they couldn't have dreamed of back in the 80's when Rush Limbaugh began his talk radio campaign. When you look back at the history of how fascist/authoritarian regimes gradually take over political systems - they all have the same pattern.

So I can say the election didn't change me at all. Anyone with a brain saw where this was going way back with Limbaugh and Savage and the other populists of that era, the only question was how long it would take to come to fruition. The combination of Trump and Internet communication technologies was a perfect opportunity for the fascist disease to spread throughout the American body politic.

Last edited by GearHeadDave; 11-28-2016 at 12:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies