Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should CA secede?
Yes 103 53.93%
No 88 46.07%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 09:01 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
No, California shouldn't be expelled.

All the foreign interlopers and illegal aliens should be expelled, along with the commies and criminals in the state government, and restore civil rights and get rid of the crazy laws, and then the rightful residents of CA could return to their lands.
We need some old fashioned McCarthyism in California. Find the Communists and enemies of the United States and either jail them or expel them. And return California to the beautiful place my parents used to talk about from when they were young in the 40's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 09:02 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
We need some old fashioned McCarthyism in California. Find the Communists and enemies of the United States and either jail them or expel them. And return California to the beautiful place my parents used to talk about from when they were young in the 40's.
agreed!

Old 11-25-2016, 09:08 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Yup.... CA is also one of 14 states that contribute more to federal funding than it receives in federal support. Along with (as you pointed out) it being a major center for business, industry, technology, and entertainment.

Funny how a lot of the people that wanna push CA out are from states that receive funding provided by the likes of NY, NJ, and CA.

Crazy people talking without thinking.

Lots of strong Republican states receiving A LOT of federal funding; so much for fiscal responsibility.
Which is why I posted this so flippantly. It needs to be drilled into their thick, indoctrinated heads:

Just so we're clear:

1. You dont bail us out-EVER. EVER You wish. As if.

2. We bail out a bunch of red states-ALWAYS.

3. 90% of California's water comes from in-state sources.

4. California(and the Northeast) is what makes the US economically and culturally relevant in the world. Get over it.

5. We like helping poor, sick, elderly, young, disabled people-and we pay for it all with our money. Dont like it? Too bad.

6. Undocumented Residents that are non-felons are OFF LIMITS-Dont test us.

7. Our strict environmental laws are OFF LIMITS-Dont test us.

etc

Old 11-25-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Sorry, we're too busy keeping this country economically and culturally relevent on the world stage to play paint ball war games with a bunch of flyover people.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Which is why I posted this so flippantly. It needs to be drilled into their thick, indoctrinated heads:

Just so we're clear:

4. California(and the Northeast) is what makes the US economically and culturally relevant in the world. Get over it.

5. We like helping poor, sick, elderly, young, disabled people-and we pay for it all with our money. Dont like it? Too bad.

etc
NONE of the above gives you the right to be independent.

leaving the Union is illegal as demonstrated by the Civil War. We can debate as to whether it should be illegal and if that reality is justified, tyranny, etc. But as it stands, a state cannot leave the Union except (presumably) with the blessing of law as passed by Congress (or even, possibly a full Constitutional Amendment). Since the Constitution prescribes no method for leaving the Union, it could be that:
A state leaves the US by the same way it came in, Congressional blessing (majority vote).

In any event that a state tried to leave (which, none would in the current climate and the foreseeable future), the President would call up the Army and the state's National Guard, those that followed the President's orders would immediately be deployed to put down the revolt (a power specifically granted to the POTUS in the Constitution).

No offense, like I said, we can debate as to whether it should be illegal and if that reality is justified, tyranny, etc.

But you are basically asking for a war in today's America is you are asking to be independent.

What do you think "domestic enemies" mean?

Old 11-25-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
NONE of the above gives you the right to be independent.
There is one perfectly legal path to independence. A constitutional amendment. Both houses of congress would approve our exit with a two-thirds vote.

THEN, 38+ states would need to approve our exit with majority votes in their legislatures.

Why wouldnt they approve it? You dont like us, you hate our values and loathe our success, and we could care less.

So why not? A clean break. What's wrong with that?

You people always act like it has to be war or contention. Why? That's really stupid but characteristic of the warmongering nature that infests too many minds in this country.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
There is one perfectly legal path to independence. A constitutional amendment. Both houses of congress would approve our exit with a two-thirds vote.

THEN, 38+ states would need to approve our exit with majority votes in their legislatures.

Why wouldnt they approve it? You dont like us, you hate our values and loathe our success, and we could care less.

So why not? A clean break. What's wrong with that?

You people always act like it has to be war or contention. Why? That's really stupid but characteristic of the warmongering nature that infests too many minds in this country.
I've explained why. No reasons to repeat myself.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:26 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,634,329 times
Sure let them recede.

We'll see how good they can defend their little bubble with a glass of wine in their hand talking politics.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:27 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Quote:
Considering the GDP of CA is several times higher than the majority of the states, I would say they are doing just fine..... whoever is running it. So if the Communists are running the show (which I do not believe they are), maybe we should stop demonizing them and pay attention.

No.... I don't think CA should leave. However, it deserves the recognition that it earned.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:30 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:

Just so we're clear:

etc
Your zeal and loyalty to the State of California is ... interesting I suppose. It's also pretty pointless. Wait a year for emotions to settle from Trump getting elected, then show me any non-biased poll showing even 10% of Californians in favor of Calexit and I'll be absolutely stunned. Hell, if you do better than 1% that'll be really surprising.

Back in 1860, the North and South were increasingly different in culture, attitudes towards government, and the massively divisive issue of slavery ripped the country in half. The South at that time was a very different place from the rest of the nation they were leaving. This cannot be said of California. Sure there's your ultra-liberal hotbeds like Berkeley and Hollywood, but even there the voice of sanity and pride in America is very powerful. Most of California is almost exactly the same as the rest of the country. And unlike the Confederate South, the vast majority of Californians see themselves as Americans first and Californians a distant second. It's a very transient state, so tons of residents are first or second generation living there, which only serves to reinforce the overwhelming America first California a distant second culture there. The very idea of "California first, USA a distant second" is just ridiculous to just about everybody in that state. Your movement ain't gonna work because the people of California aren't going for it.

Now if the day comes when California does manage to secede, then expect all of the less populated portions of the state to secede from Cali and rejoin the USA (like West Virginia) did. The more populated parts of California would be crushed from within and without. Those loyal to the USA would fight from within. The US military would invade from without. If you're very lucky, your little civil war would last a month. I'm betting on less than a week -- if it ever actually happens.

I've lived in Cali and it's an awesome state. There's plenty to be proud of there. If it wasn't so blasted expensive, I wouldn't mind living in the Bay Area again. But you're passionately advocating for a cause that the people of your state don't even really want. I'd just give it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies