Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 01:15 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,893,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Well, he lost the popular vote & polling has him more unfavorable than favorable. One piece of evidence could be an outlier. Two pieces of evidence strengthens the picture. Historically, Presidents-Elect have had considerably positive approval ratings--usually much higher than they end up after governing. Trump needs this not to be his high water mark.
/shrug

Don't care about such pontificating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 03:38 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,859,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Quite a few "liberals" didn't want Hillary.

Bernie Sanders was the anti-establishment candidate on the "liberal" side.

Either way, the plutocracy won this election. The rest of us lost.

Just like every election, regardless of which candidate wins.

Given the choice between Hillary and Bernie, I would take Hillary any day. She only pretends to be a Left-Wing nutter to get votes. He actually believes every nutty thing he says, which is even scarier.

Old 11-29-2016, 03:49 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,652,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
It is painful to watch the president they love hated by the other half of the country. It is easier to attack than defend. When one is on the side that dislikes the man in office, they can just sit by and insult.

Trump supporters are rejoicing now but trust me, they will grow tired of how much the president they like is disliked by over half of the country. Over half. They will grow weary of defending him. And if he privatizes Medicare and Social Security, a lot of unpleasantness will likely follow; only time will tell. For those that think they will get rich with Social Security privatization and will then have no problem affording private insurance policies at 70, Enron employees thought they would be rich too.

The electoral college may elect the president, but it doesn't negate that a much larger portion of the country did not want Trump. They are reminded daily that a small number of rural voters had more power than entire metropolitan areas. Both areas may work and pay taxes but saying those large areas have less say is not going to wear well when Trump makes those inevitable mistakes.
I enjoy the dose of sanity you've brought to the forum in this thread.

I generally agree with the premise. Trump is disliked by not just the majority of Americans, but also around the world. His supporters are relatively small in number, and based mostly in the midwest. Even his own party doesn't like him.

Old 11-29-2016, 03:52 PM

860 posts, read 1,352,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Given the choice between Hillary and Bernie, I would take Hillary any day. She only pretends to be a Left-Wing nutter to get votes. He actually believes every nutty thing he says, which is even scarier.
Big money out of politics, affordable education and healthcare, plus investment in green tech/infrastructure = Nutty. Got it. Americans are brainwashed. You're especially brainwashed if you think Universal healthcare is by any means, progressive.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:11 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,408,883 times
Quote:
-16.5 in the last month. RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Trump: Favorable/Unfavorable

Post-election (as is typical) is better, but still historically bad between -2 & -10.

Compare Obama post-election 2008: +58 RealClearPolitics - Election Other - 2012 Obama: Favorable/Unfavorable

Obama is more popular than Trump today. Obama after his first election was stratospherically more popular.
You didn't answer my question.

Last I heard, 57% had a favorable view of Trump as president-elect.

That number will go up, just as it did for Clinton -- who, in 1992, got a SMALLER percentage of votes than Trump.

Obama the Failure's popularity doesn't mean anything.

If it did, Hillary would have won HUGE in both an electoral college AND a popular vote landslide.

Hillary ran as "Obama-Term 3".

Old 11-30-2016, 06:11 AM

9,471 posts, read 9,336,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

Clinton lost because she is a proven liar
Candidate Hillary..."I'm for women".........................the real hillary........." the rapist was lured by the 15 yr old".... "all these tramps seduced my husband"

candidate Hillary..."I'm for minorities and blacks".......the real Hillary......"he's a n-word"

candidate Hillary...."I'm against the TTP"..........the real Hillary " I helped negotiate TTP, and Nafta was/is great"

candidate Hillary "woman should be paid the same".......the real Hillary 'everyone of my female staff is paid far less than my male staff'

Hillary "what difference does it make" . "lets move on from the past"........ I am sure ambassador Stevens and the others appreciate that hillary says what difference does it make

she proved that she is the MOST TWO-FACED POLITICAL CANDIDATE IN THE LAST 50 years

You are going to find over the next few years that it is TRUMP WHO IS THE MOST TWO-FACED POLITICAL CANDIDATE IN THE LAST 50 YEARS. He is already renigging on many of the promises he made during the campaign. MANY of the promises he made will never come true.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:30 AM

3,570 posts, read 2,508,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
You didn't answer my question.

Last I heard, 57% had a favorable view of Trump as president-elect.

That number will go up, just as it did for Clinton -- who, in 1992, got a SMALLER percentage of votes than Trump.

Obama the Failure's popularity doesn't mean anything.

If it did, Hillary would have won HUGE in both an electoral college AND a popular vote landslide.

Hillary ran as "Obama-Term 3".
You are mistaken. 57% is the favorable rating for Obama today; 57% is very close to Trump's unfavorable rating over the last month. Trump has more unfavorable ratings than favorable ratings.

Clinton in 1992 got a smaller percentage of votes because Perot got so much higher than Johnson + Stein. Bill's popular vote win exceeded even Hillary's, but was far short of Obama's popular vote win.

I linked directly to Trump's favorable/unfavorable polling, so I don't understand why you think I didn't answer your question. Here it is again: RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Trump: Favorable/Unfavorable

Obama is very popular for a modern President at the end of his term, moreso than Reagan or Clinton. If Obama's 3rd term were on the ballot, it would have won.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:46 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,436,229 times
Quote:
You are mistaken. 57% is the favorable rating for Obama today; 57% is very close to Trump's unfavorable rating over the last month. Trump has more unfavorable ratings than favorable ratings.

Clinton in 1992 got a smaller percentage of votes because Perot got so much higher than Johnson + Stein. Bill's popular vote win exceeded even Hillary's, but was far short of Obama's popular vote win.

I linked directly to Trump's favorable/unfavorable polling, so I don't understand why you think I didn't answer your question. Here it is again: RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Trump: Favorable/Unfavorable

Obama is very popular for a modern President at the end of his term, moreso than Reagan or Clinton. If Obama's 3rd term were on the ballot, it would have won.
Obama had very low approval ratings not long ago...what happened now?
The numbers are changing by the minute - its all dust in the wind. I am still shocked by how quickly voters switched their opinion. Look at the statistics in the months leading to the elections and see if it makes any sense. I wouldn't be surprised if in elections held today, Bernie would stand as the winner. If people weren't decided between (such extremes as) Bernie and Trump, America (and the democracy) have a big problem.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:02 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,408,883 times
Trump won.

Next.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:25 AM

33,837 posts, read 16,862,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Over half the country? I don't like Trump, but you people are inept if you think half the country dislikes him. Hell, only a 1/4 of the country voted against him.

Seriously, if you people want to gain support, you have got to stop the stupid lies.

Correct. 65 mill voted HRC, in a nation of over 318 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies