Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 10:30 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times

Advertisements

Fidel Castro

Florence Henderson.

Who is next to go with an F?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 03:58 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times
Perhaps I am overcomplicating it. Maybe he finally wanted to say something that Politifact could rate as "True".

Old 11-26-2016, 04:39 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
That's funny since 140 character meaningless sound bites are more the style of ignorant ADD afflicted millennials and tech addicted liberals who mainly voted for Hillary.
Such wit, a humorous yet thought provoking post.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:12 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,623,585 times
Trump is likely just excited that Havana just might be the Caribbean Atlantic City again and he can get some hotels open there. Seriously, I won't defend Castro, but there's a reason he came to power. Cuba had a brutal dictator before Castro who let the much of the island be run by the Mafia at the expense of the Cuban people. Yes, Castro became (or maybe always planned to be) a brutal dictator, but pretending things were perfect in Cuba is a myth perpetuated by people that benefited from Batista's awful regime and before.

My conservative grandfather served in Cuba in the 1930's and remembered seeing immense poverty and authoritarianism. He called those original exiles that fled to Miami the "5 percenters" long before I ever heard the term "one percent". Those 5 percenters in Miami were just as authoritarian and up until the Elian saga, squashed anyone in Florida who wanted the embargo lifted. The embargo, kept in place by presidents not wanting to tick off the Miami exiles, only helped Castro maintain power. Cuba would likely be thriving today - and long rid of Castro - if Florida didn't have the electoral votes it did. That's not a slam on the electoral college btw.

Last edited by AMSS; 11-26-2016 at 06:22 PM..

Old 11-26-2016, 06:16 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
That's funny since 140 character meaningless sound bites are more the style of ignorant ADD afflicted millennials and tech addicted liberals who mainly voted for Hillary.
I cannot, cannot believe you just went there. LOL.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:18 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
100 of the MSM was wrong about the election? Who are you referring to as "the MSM?"

For the sake of argument, can you explain how being wrong about one thing makes the media wrong about all things?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Trump does't have an extensive vocabulary. Plus he's at a disadvantage tapping out his messages with those little fingers. Still...it was disappointing to see our future Tweeter in Chief couldn't come up with something more profound...like..."Low energy Fidel Castro is Dead. Weak. Loser. I'd date his daughter if I could."
You win the CD forum today!

Old 11-27-2016, 08:59 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Trump is likely just excited that Havana just might be the Caribbean Atlantic City again and he can get some hotels open there. Seriously, I won't defend Castro, but there's a reason he came to power. Cuba had a brutal dictator before Castro who let the much of the island be run by the Mafia at the expense of the Cuban people. Yes, Castro became (or maybe always planned to be) a brutal dictator, but pretending things were perfect in Cuba is a myth perpetuated by people that benefited from Batista's awful regime and before.

My conservative grandfather served in Cuba in the 1930's and remembered seeing immense poverty and authoritarianism. He called those original exiles that fled to Miami the "5 percenters" long before I ever heard the term "one percent". Those 5 percenters in Miami were just as authoritarian and up until the Elian saga, squashed anyone in Florida who wanted the embargo lifted. The embargo, kept in place by presidents not wanting to tick off the Miami exiles, only helped Castro maintain power. Cuba would likely be thriving today - and long rid of Castro - if Florida didn't have the electoral votes it did. That's not a slam on the electoral college btw.
What's this? History? Something to learn, maybe even consider? In this forum? You must be lost...

Not only does what you explain help to give some context in which to understand how Castro came to power and why, but maybe just maybe it can help these conservatives who can't seem to understand anything beyond dictator bad, America good. Also that liberals do NOT support the likes of dictators and are most certainly happy to see the likes end, hopefully replaced with a better form of government. Comment #30 is so ridiculous, I don't want to repeat it. Glad instead to have a comment like this one to tag from.

Whether this explains why Trump tweeted the news, I don't think so, but Trump (and/or his tweet team) have got better things to do, more presidential things to do. Accordingly, I hope they begin to focus on those things soon rather than waste time tweeting headline news.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:38 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Obama, Castro, Hillary. All gone. 2017 is going to be a great year!!!
As "The Who" stated, 45 years ago.....

"Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss"

Other then a few people patting themselves on the back, very few in the middle class will benefit from the election results. The rich will get richer, and those who are not (rich) will still struggle to get by.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:03 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
As "The Who" stated, 45 years ago.....

"Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss"

Other then a few people patting themselves on the back, very few in the middle class will benefit from the election results. The rich will get richer, and those who are not (rich) will still struggle to get by.
Hard for me to consider Trump the new boss is the same as Obama the old boss, but if that's because the rich are still getting richer while the rest struggle on..., then I guess we'll have the same old boss for a good long while into the future...

Time to sign off and do something productive with my time now, like having some breakfast...

Old 11-27-2016, 10:18 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Why did he tweet this? Is it because his followers won't believe anything in MSM and he feels they need to hear it from the only reliable source?
Why do you care? The man wants to tweet. Leave him alone! Besides, in a few words he said what Obama couldn't say in a paragraph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies