Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 10:02 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Frankly, I have nothing against Castro. He never did squat to me.

All that mess is between him and the people of that island. Americans need to mind their own business.
I'm very surprised at you. I suppose as a white woman I should adopt the same attitude about issues facing black Americans, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 10:03 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
This. Same with Mexico and other S American nations. Same with middle east countries in ruins now. and with refugees overtaking the entire continent of Europe. They would rather invade and impose themselves on other nations, than stand and fight for their OWN nations.

Castro was a disgusting piece of work but it was none of our business. Care for our own country, our own safety and our own interests.
Careful what you wish for. It might come back to bite you in the ass.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:30 AM

1,504 posts, read 850,649 times
Lets get down to earth- if you were doing well under Castro...you would morn. If you were quietly trading with Castro from afar you would say he was a fine fellow....If you had grandparents that took a bullet while up against the wall...Castro would have not have one redeeming quality. As for his form of communism...again...a net worth of over 900 million does not sound very communal/

Old 11-28-2016, 10:31 AM

1,504 posts, read 850,649 times
Also if you are one of the nut bar immature utopian dreamy students that morn him now....then you are in a state of arrested development.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:38 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Perfectly good sarcasm is wasted in this thread. Good try OP, some don't seem to get it.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:41 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Frankly, I have nothing against Castro. He never did squat to me.

All that mess is between him and the people of that island. Americans need to mind their own business.
The same can be said of Hitler, Stalin and the KKK. As long as they don't affect you personally it's all good, right?

Old 11-28-2016, 10:43 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
As for his form of communism...again...a net worth of over 900 million does not sound very communal/
Wow, so Fidel Castro has a net worth of 900 million. I wonder what the people's net worth is? Oh yes, the people live in poverty. This is yet another example of power in the hands of a few will surely be abused.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:58 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,902,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Take away the facts that the Castro gov't owns all media, arrests, imprisons, tortures and kills political dissidents, has locals spying and reporting on their neighbors, kills those who try to flee his paradise, doesn't allow worker's unions and has the lions share of the wealth and higher material living standards concentrated in the gov't and I'm sure he's a great guy.

Forget how Amnesty International labels him. I'ts all a misunderstanding.
/smiles and calmly shakes finger at you

You... you.... I see you there... I see what you did there!! You!

/wink

Old 11-28-2016, 01:15 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
What, you think the people of Cuba don't know that Fidel Castro and their current leader, Raoul Castro, didn't have firing squads and political prisoners? Maybe they want someone who recognizes that and attempts to get political prisoners released instead of giving away the store. What did we require of the Castros in the deal? They got to open up their market to new customers, but they didn't have to give up anything in return. Obama thinks just having American tourists will lead to more freedom when that hasn't happened with all the tourism from other western countries. Maybe we could require a little more in return, like guaranteed freedom, release of political prisoners, etc.
Apparently Breitbart, or whatever sources you read, didn't report that President Obama was very critical of Cuba when he visited there earlier this year. In fact, Fidel Castro strongly criticized Obama for going to Cuba. Also, what makes you think Obama hasn't been working on improving conditions in Cuba?

[URL="https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/on-first-full-day-in-cuba-obama-to-meet-with-castro-and-address-the-public/2016/03/20/931e4ff6-eef5-11e5-89c3-a647fcce95e0_story.html"]Raúl Castro, Obama spar on human rights, Guantanamo, views of U.S. and Cuba[/URL]

[URL="https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=obama%20critical%20castro%20during%20trip"]Fidel Castro Lashes Out at Obama After Cuba Visit - WSJ[/URL]

[URL="http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/28/politics/cuba-fidel-castro-blasts-obama-trip/"]Fidel Castro blasts Obama's trip: Cuba doesn't need 'empire' for anything[/URL]

[URL="http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/fidel-castro-obama-221279"]Fidel Castro lectures Obama after Cuba trip[/URL]

President Obama knew that Fidel Castro's days were numbered. His health had been failing for years and he made few public appearances. Obama's trip earlier this year was to renew relationships with Cuba and bury hostilities. That doesn't happen overnight. Do you realize Cuba is only 90 miles from Florida? When I was growing up during the Cold War, we had drills in school because of threats from the Soviet Union. I was only 10 when Cuba requested nuclear missiles from Khrushchev.

Lately Vladimir Putin has become very aggressive militarily and reports indicate he is considering reopening military bases in Cuba. No matter what Trump said on the campaign trail, Putin is not our friend. Why does anyone think being hostile to Cuba makes us safe? Obama knows that diplomacy, not hostile tweets in the middle of the night, is what works, and the only reason the Republicans criticized his trip in the first place is because he's Obama. I mean, what haven't they condemned since he took office?

Old 11-28-2016, 01:39 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Animal Farm best sums up what happened in Cuba.

Several of the "revolutionaries" wound up fleeing Cuba or being imprisoned for many years....or worse....when they balked at what Castro was up to once he came to power.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_Urrutia_Lle%C3%B3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies