Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 03:39 AM

42 posts, read 32,403 times

Advertisements

I was reading some comments on another forum and many on the left are upset at those in western countries wanting to forge good relations with Russia and many were saying Russia's actions in Syria were "horrible" "despicable" "evil" etc. etc.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Russia basically just destroying ISIS and friends? Or is there something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 03:44 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,375 times
It is indeed really weird and funny, Russia is being portrayed as the bad guy by main stream media, and the same lemmings who thought Trump couldn't win(because CNN kept repeating it) believe we have to go to war with Russia. When Russia was invited by a sovereign nation that is asking for help because USA is arming the rebels trying to kill the President of Syria.

Yes Russia does not like ISIS, I am sure there is some ethical and philosophical reasons, but Russia just wants to keep the current Syrian government alive, a very strategic ally.

It is ridiculous that ISIS is still alive and prosperous, when every modern nation supposedly wants it destroyed.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:07 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Isn't Russia helping Assad to quash any resistance from the Syrian people, not just ISIS? Also, how is Russia helping Syria by killing innocent men, women and children?

Old 11-28-2016, 04:17 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Isn't Russia helping Assad to quash any resistance from the Syrian people, not just ISIS? Also, how is Russia helping Syria by killing thousands of innocent men, women and children?
And Iraq is perfect since we removed Hussein? Is Libya better off without Gaddafi? It takes a strong despot to control a radical population. Give me a list of all of the Muslims countries that we have turned into shinning examples of democracy. When we get involved more people die - including our own.

The only thing we ever accomplished was to temporarily keep the oil flowing. Now we have found new reserves and alternatives so there is not the same attention on that area of the world.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:23 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
And Iraq is perfect since we removed Hussein? Is Libya better off without Gaddafi? It takes a strong despot to control a radical population. Give me a list of all of the Muslims countries that we have turned into shinning examples of democracy. When we get involved more people die - including our own.

The only thing we ever accomplished was to temporarily keep the oil flowing. Now we have found new reserves and alternatives so there is not the same attention on that area of the world.
I agree with you but I also think we need to concentrate on helping people who are stuck in these countries, don't you? And no, I don't think bombing the crap out of them is helpful.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:34 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
I agree with you but I also think we need to concentrate on helping people who are stuck in these countries, don't you? And no, I don't think bombing the crap out of them is helpful.
You realize that Russia has more nuclear weapons than the US and they have almost three times the land mass as the US.

When we get involved people die. If we manage to start WWIII the Northern Hemisphere dies and most of the world's population. To negotiate with Russia is the smartest move and only good move we can make. Possibly we could negotiate 'safe' zones for refugees and send humanitarian aid - as long as it is 'aid' and not guns for rebels.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:39 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,952 times
Quote:
No, it's none of our d..n business.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:41 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
russia is supporting assad, where as the western powers want assad gone. just like obama wanted mubarak gone and gaddafi gone as well

Old 11-28-2016, 04:50 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
I'm on the left and I don't give a damn what Russia does in Syria, nor would I care if Russian troops got wiped out in Syria. Syrian or Russian lives have about as much worth to me as a bottle of mustard. Maybe less.

That's an intra Asian issue as far as I'm concerned, and I'm an American.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:26 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Everywhere we have stuck our nose in since Iraq in 2003 is worse than it was before. Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, and now Syria. Assad is Russia's boy, and we need to let Russia get on with it.

All the do gooders say, "Assad has got to go." Why? So Syria will become another mess like Libya? Once this war is over, and Assad gets back in charge of his country, he will set about cleaning house.

Like it or not, it's in our interests for a despot to be in charge. A tight lid has to be kept on people in that part of the world. If not, then they set about killing each other. Why do we never learn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies