Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 11:58 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by At-Chilles View Post
This is one of the reasons I moved to WV. The state offers very little in the way of "services" and doesn't handout exorbitant wage and compensation packages to public employees. And many cities don't even have restricted zoning.
I mean, if that isn't just the definition of hell.

Well-paid public employees?

Getting services in exchange for taxes?

Paved roads? Internet access?

What a godawful place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 12:19 PM

1,229 posts, read 859,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post

What a godawful place.
It's the best state out of the four I've lived in.

I have a 4400 sqft home and pay about 700.00 A year in property taxes with a homestead exemption.

I get an additional 20 percent state income tax credit because my house is on the state historical preservation list.

Cheap utilities

Drivers license renewal was 18 bucks

Tags 35 -40 bucks

No emissions BS

Gas 1.99 gallon

Better roads than California, Oregon and Nevada - compliments of being right next to DC

Internet cable access 19.95 a month

Cheap labor for carpenters, lawn care etc.

And on and on and on......

Old 11-28-2016, 12:19 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:

What a godawful place.

My "servants" should not be earning more than me. That is what a public employee is.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:26 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
My Netflix already went up to $23/month, I get 2 dvds at a time & streaming. Big deal. It's still a deal compared to the scam that is cable. Considering how much I use Netflix, its basically a steal.

As is any tax a locality levies on a service or good.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:30 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,904,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
You shouldn`t assume that everyone hates the govt. but could you explain how the government seeks to keep people divided? The govt. is not my boogieman.
Americans know the government is not their savior. Everyone else are invaders, leeches and usurpers.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:42 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
[/b]
As is any tax a locality levies on a service or good.
Sorry, but I'm not going to complain about a service I use incessantly for basically free. I get that cost back in probably a week if even. First world problems.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:00 PM

1,850 posts, read 820,628 times
Quote:

What a godawful place.
It's odd how you claim that taxes lead to excellence. Let's examine what you say they give us. Well-paid public employees? That's actually a great point, since that's pretty much all taxes give us is well-paid public employees. As to whether that improves a place ...sure, if you're one of those employees. Getting services in exchange for taxes? Not sure what that means, since the service you get is usually terrible, as anyone who has had to interact with a government agency can attest to. Paved roads? Oddly, the politicians who advocate high taxes are also the ones who justify them by telling us that the high taxes have not alleviated our crumbling infrastructure and so we need to pay more so they can finally focus on it. Internet access? That's not provided by the government, so it's an incorrect point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
My "servants" should not be earning more than me. That is what a public employee is.
Exactly. That's why liberals love the government. They get to parade around saying that they "serve" the public and meanwhile they make more than the people who they serve, work in palatial buildings that are constantly being renovated, have large staffs who wait on them, and are able to retire with pensions that are supported by people who have to continue to go to work.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:13 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
Did they try aligning costs with reduced revenue, first? Probably not. Object lesson in why government is out of control. Zero understanding of what the citizenry live like, deal with and have to constantly do; adjust.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:16 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
Non-responsive. Address government, local government in this particular case and its unceasing appetite for revenue.

Quote:
My Netflix already went up to $23/month, I get 2 dvds at a time & streaming. Big deal. It's still a deal compared to the scam that is cable. Considering how much I use Netflix, its basically a steal.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:18 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Sorry, but I'm not going to complain about a service I use incessantly for basically free. I get that cost back in probably a week if even. First world problems.
At what point do you care how much the robber takes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies