Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 06:49 PM

21,481 posts, read 8,669,793 times

Advertisements

"Smoking" pot? How 20th Century! Nowadays, with the wide availability of vape pens and a large variety of edibles and beverages, you can have all the benefits of cannabis without risking lung damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 06:59 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,632,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
How phrasing, as a compromise... the majority of those who oppose legal weed are republican vs the majority of republicans?

Here's why: I smoked daily for 20 something years. Everyone of my friends did 2 (not every friend but my inner circle of 8 to 10 dudes). Every single one of us was republican (half are now independent including myself... McCain).

Fair compromise?
"Sixty-six percent of Democrats favor legalizing marijuana while 30 percent believe it should be illegal.

Among Republicans, 41 percent favor legalization and 55 percent are opposed to it, according to the poll, which drew responses from 1,201 U.S. adults."

Support for marijuana legalization rises among U.S. adults: poll | Reuters

It's a small sample, but I have yet to see any poll where the majority of republicans as a whole favor legalization and the numbers are pretty consistent with other polls.

To be fair, I have seen polls where the majority of millennials who identify as republicans do favor legalization.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:03 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,633,359 times
Marijuana is for weak people.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:04 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,075,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Weak people have just as much right to be left alone as anyone.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:07 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,750,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
More specifically they are against personal freedoms and personal responsibility which makes them asinine hypocrites.
its not being against personal freedoms, its that far too many people dont take personal responsibility for their actions. they would rather rely on others instead. how many people smoked for decades, and either knew or felt cigarettes damaging their bodies, and then turned around and sued the tobacco companies?

how many people erect a step ladder, and climb up said ladder, and realize that the ladder isnt the most stable item, and yet are willing to stand up on the very top of the ladder, even though there is virtually no stability. they then fall off the ladder, and instead of taking responsibility, they sue the ladder manufacturer.

or how about people who take a drug prescribed by their doctor, fail to inform the doctor of other medications or supplements they are taking, and then fail to inform the doctor of any side effects or other problems the drug might be having on the body, and then sue the doctor and the drug company.

or how about when someone runs a stop sign, has a resulting accident, then sues everyone around?

i say when people start taking personal responsibility, then we can make a lot of things legal again. remember that with freedoms comes reponsibilities. you want the freedom to do MJ, the accept the responsibilities that go with that, meaning you wont sue some one because you developed asthma or other breathing issue, or any other health issue that might develop.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:14 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,632,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so we have had a war on tobacco for going on 60(?) years or so, and now when tobacco is nose diving sales wise, and usage wise, there is now a movement to make MJ legal in all fifty states. the claim is that MJ is harmless(hmm seems like a similar claim was made about tobacco). how long before studies start coming out claiming all kind of health problems being related to the use of MJ, and then when do the lawyers start suing people over MJ sales?

i think the reality here is that lawyers have not quite yet wrung everything they could from the tobacco industry, but that money is running out, so they need a new boogie man to attack and make money from.

some of you are going to say i am crazy, but i see a huge scam here being foisted on the american people, and we are all going to get milked for it for a long long time. sure all the money saved from not jailing MJ offenders, and all the new tax revenue from the sales of OTC MJ, are going to be offset by all the medical spending on health issues, and legal issues that will crop up for the next 60 years or so.
I'm sorry, but I'm going to be one of those who say you are crazy.

Nobody is saying MJ is harmless, and the predicted lawsuits and increased health care costs is just speculation.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:18 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,000,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
"Smoking" pot? How 20th Century! Nowadays, with the wide availability of vape pens and a large variety of edibles and beverages, you can have all the benefits of cannabis without risking lung damage.

You actually think you just thought of "hash Brownies"?

Old 11-28-2016, 07:19 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,197,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Hrm, strange, I guess Michael Phelps didn't get the memo.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:25 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,989,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
More specifically they are against personal freedoms and personal responsibility which makes them asinine hypocrites.
You are full of Bull ****!

Old 11-28-2016, 07:31 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,989,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Hrm, strange, I guess Michael Phelps didn't get the memo.
He must of been smoking Olympic Gold winning all those medals...surprised the IOC hasn't taken away his medals for a performance enhancing drug! Bet he is slow boring and dumb too huh?
Bet it was the Tommy Chong bong...yeah that's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies