Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 04:48 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,177,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Compared to Carrier's 1,000 jobs, Obama's auto bailout saved around 250,000 jobs at GM and Chrysler, and 1 to 2 million total jobs throughout the entire automotive supply chain.

Yet posters here keep talking about Obama as if he accomplished nothing. Trump is smart by using PR to tell blue collar workers "I really care about you." Only time will tell. However, from what I'm reading, perception isn't always the same as reality.
Who started the auto bailout process ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 04:49 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,526,716 times
Default Carrier Co. not leaving Indiana (state tax incentives)

Good news. Carrier Co. is now not leaving Indiana for foreign shores, as it had planned. Sweet! 1,000 Jobs saved.

I think Trump is, to put it nicely, a big bloviator. But I will say this...this is a GOOD thing! I'm willing to recognize a success (unlike some on the right who wouldn't admit ANY successes of Obama, of which there were many).

I saw on the news that Carrier gives the reason that it's getting state tax incentives to stay. Guess who is Governor of Indiana? PENCE.

So my question is....why didn't PENCE arrange tax incentives before? Was this a done deal before, and this was just arranged to make it public now, for show? Or Pence didn't want to give tax incentives before?

So glad for those workers, though, however this happened. It means a lot not to lose your job.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:51 PM

19,097 posts, read 16,933,621 times
Just saw this new story on NBC news, regardless of what strong arm tactics may have been applied I am glad to see the government pushing to retain the jobs rather than helping them pack. Of course one of the employees interviewed needed to express concern on how this affect the union maybe he should look at how the union may have contributed to his job being potentially outsourced.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:52 PM

809 posts, read 742,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
I guess we'll see.

I have a suspicion that if Obama had done what some claim Trump has done (threaten a major business with economic sanctions unless they helped him to keep a campaign promise), some conservatives would be calling him a dictator, a thug, and a tyrant.

But don't let that stop you.
All that, and a "thug" from Kenya. The donald still wants to see POTUS's truly long form birth certificate, along with his college grades.

I still think our president elect "joe the plumber with a rich daddy" has some orange orangutan in his genetics. Just my personal opinion.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:55 PM

31,950 posts, read 34,502,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Not See View Post
Who started the auto bailout process ?
No question Bush got the ball rolling. I already gave him credit for that. But the logic on this board is a bit strange. Clinton gets blamed for NAFTA when he technically had little involvement in its negotiation and passage through Congress. The Republicans are essentially off the hook on that one. Yet Obama played a much greater role in the auto-bailout than Clinton played in NAFTA and it seems you want to give him less credit for its outcome. Not saying you're necessarily doing this, but I don't see how it's possible to largely blame Clinton for NAFTA while not giving Obama the lion's share of the credit for the auto-bailout.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:58 PM

3,570 posts, read 2,507,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
No question Bush got the ball rolling. I already gave him credit for that. But the logic on this board is a bit strange. Clinton gets blamed for NAFTA when he technically had little involvement in its negotiation and passage through Congress. The Republicans are essentially off the hook on that one. Yet Obama played a much greater role in the auto-bailout than Clinton played in NAFTA and it seems you want to give him less credit for its outcome. Not saying you're necessarily doing this, but I don't see how it's possible to largely blame Clinton for NAFTA while not giving Obama the lion's share of the credit for the auto-bailout.
And it's funny how the politics on the auto bailout kicked into overdrive when Obama was working on it.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:01 PM

Nothing to see here: Indiana official: Carrier deal is about federal contracts - POLITICO

Old 11-30-2016, 05:13 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,963,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think there was a mix of reasons and I'm not going to opine as to what all of them might be. I think you've omitted a good dose of racial resentment, which is reflected not only in anecdotal evidence, but in studies as well.

I don't think Clinton shifted from class/economics to identity politics. I think Clinton shifted from class/economics to going completely off the campaign trail. Her strategy seemed to be focused on proving that Trump wasn't qualified to be President (which he isn't), and then doing her best to let him implode while staying out of the limelight. She never made an affirmative pitch to the American people as to why she should have been President.

What options? You cannot keep 100,000 jobs from migrating overseas by doling out tax credits.

And start trade wars. It's not like other countries are powerless and simply have to "take" what America dishes out.

There are also few tax incentives you could provide to make up for a $65 million per year differential in labor costs. UTC (Carrier's parent company) paid an effective corporate tax rate of 9.4% in 2014. I mean, you have to admit these are two ridiculously contradictory statements.

"Corporations and special interests run America."

"Our tax code is too burdensome on corporations."

Think about the cognitive dissonance there. How is it that these all-mighty corporations that control Congress are simultaneously subject to unfair constraints imposed on them by Congress? That's so f-ing illogical. Aww, the poor corporations! If only Congress just got out of the way and slashed corporate tax rates, all of those jobs and all of that offshore money would come flying back into America. Again, this is all so easy. It's amazing no one has thought of this aside from Sarah Palin and Joe The Plumber.

The new manufacturing jobs require more skilled labor and often involve more sophisticated equipment. So they're not as easy to offshore. And companies often want to be closer to their supply chains, so that's also a factor.
Clinton herself focused on Trump letting him eat himself but without realizing the movement Trump started was bigger than him. I mean the guy could've easily said anything, the point was that the Dems were tied to the media and the Wikileaks were exposing that. Of course the media saw it as business as usual but the Trump campaign painted it as evidence of collusion. There was really nothing Clinton could've said that wouldn't have made her look like the prototypical politicians tied to the media and corporate interests that she was. Meanwhile, the Dems and the liberals were focused a lot on the racial and social issues going on over economic issues after Bernie was ousted. No more class war, no more talks of stagnant wages, no more calls for unionization, single payer, free education. The last year or so of the campaign all that was known or heard from liberals and leftists was identity politics. They were even cannibalizing their own insisting that to talk about class/economics over identity issues was seen as condoning this notion of white supremacy. I've heard it myself that some people were being called "class first" leftists because they would say stuff such as race follows class. So now under this new progressive platform the old talks of class or economics being primary in any systemic analysis is seen as racist.

Next, I would say that while the mantra by the right has always been to attract more business or keep it here by lowering taxes and whatnot, this time around Trump decided to include protectionist measures and tariffs on imports from any company that decides to do business overseas and bring those goods back. I don't know how much this right wing populism will go and I agree a trade war will commence but what is the real option that you're proposing? To unionize the current workforce? I mean are you going by the theory of under-consumption? That all that is needed to raise living standards is to raise stagnant wages? What exactly are you proposing here?

Old 11-30-2016, 05:20 PM

17,299 posts, read 11,156,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I have no problem with this at all. It's about time an administration called the companies out for going overseas or to Mexico and uses whatever leverage they have to keep them here. Too bad it wasn't done during the last 8 years or even before Obama.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I have no problem with this at all. It's about time an administration called the companies out for going overseas or to Mexico and uses whatever leverage they have to keep them here. Too bad it wasn't done during the last 8 years or even before Obama.
Presidents need to count jobs by the millions, not the hundreds. Every month in the Obama economy, we gain over 15000% of the 1000 jobs saved in this "deal." We should be a market economy, not one dependent on corporate welfare from the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies