Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2016, 08:56 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,444,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
"He wants, he wants, he wants"........I'm not interested in this stuff until "he does".

So the things a politician says they want to do don't matter to you at all?

How do you select which one you'll vote for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 09:01 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
"He wants, he wants, he wants"........I'm not interested in this stuff until "he does".
You may not care what he said he plans to do, but his supporters cast their votes based on what he said he was going to do.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:08 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Win what? Picking one company and cutting a special deal with them might sound nice, but it's symbolic, and certainly not policy since it benefits only one division of one company.
And 1,300 jobs are still leaving. Carrier is apparently keeping 800 union jobs in place, and according to the Washington Post, it's not clear whether 400 of those jobs were jobs that the company had already agreed to keep in Indiana in March.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.96436f8ffed1

But my larger point is that if Trump is giving his full attention to a very high profile case that he staked his campaign on, and yet can't prevent the loss of 1,300 jobs to Mexico, then there's no possible way he can prevent the outsourcing of more jobs. There are companies in the same town the Carrier plant is in that are also moving jobs to Mexico, but those companies are fortunate in that they did not have a YouTube video that subjected them to Trump's showmanship.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:09 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
So the things a politician says they want to do don't matter to you at all?

How do you select which one you'll vote for?

It's not about me. I'm not going to determine who is president. My pick hasn't won in a very long time. Often times I will discuss what is happening. It doesn't matter whether or not I agree, it is happening. Sometimes I even disagree but I understand why it is happening.

People have been complaining about the jobs leaving for years now. Politicians have ignored their complaints. It bit them in the arse this time.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You may not care what he said he plans to do, but his supporters cast their votes based on what he said he was going to do.
Obama was elected because he said he would end the wars. He even set dates for it to end. We are now in 5 wars.

Yes, people will vote for candidates based upon what they say they will do. That is perfectly understandable. What is not understandable is re-electing them when they do not do what they say they will do.

I'm not going to condemn people for electing someone that says they will help create and bring back jobs. I will if he doesn't and they re-elect him.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I wasn't there, you weren't there. I do not know the guy, you do not know the guy. I posted what I read in many sources.
That's a lame response. First, you said he was a Carrier employee. Then I posted an article (which contains the video) in which the man identifies himself as a steel workers union official. Then you said he was an ex Carrier employee and linked to an article that just quoted Obama and in no way substantiated your claim that he was an ex-Carrier employee. Now you're saying we don't know the guy and that you're just going off what you "read in many sources."

There is a very easy solution to this problem. Don't make assertions that can't be supported by credible evidence.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And 1,300 jobs are still leaving.
It's went from 400 still leaving, to 1000 still leaving to 1300 still leaving. Soon more will be leaving than is employed.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's a lame response. First, you said he was a Carrier employee.
Because that is what *many* articles claim. If they are wrong, they are. In the end it really doesn't matter as when the manufacturing jobs leave so do the construction and expansion of manufacturing jobs.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:15 AM

575 posts, read 298,729 times
Trump is a deal maker without a moral compass. Expect more of the same.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
People have been complaining about the jobs leaving for years now. Politicians have ignored their complaints. It bit them in the arse this time.
This is sort of like saying "Patients have been complaining about cancer for years now. Doctors and researchers have ignored their complaints."

There is nothing more a politician would love to do than to pass a "Rust Belt Enrichment Act" that created 5,000,000, low-skill, $50 per hour jobs that come along with a wealth of dental, health, and vision benefits and a generous pension and 401(k) match to boot. If this were a possibility, then someone would have done it by now. Who wouldn't want that glory?

I also wonder how many of you actually take the time to research what economic development initiatives are actually underway in the Rust Belt regardless of their efficacy. The assumption here is that nobody's really trying rather than policy makers being confronted with a problem that has no quick and simple solution. It would be like seeing homeless people and saying "Nobody cares about homelessness" when there are in fact scores of people dedicating their lives to battling homelessness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies