Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 09:42 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Do you see the two as the same? I do not. I do see holding political prisoners the same as holding political prisoners.
So, you wouldn't criticize any US politician that praised Hitler?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 09:43 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
oh, there is no question about my partisanship. Im solid conservative with a hint of libertarian. and im am utterly and unashamedly anti-progressive.
A hint of libertarianism is generally a hint of progressiveness.

Quote:
however, where these arguments are concerned, where some pop up and want to talk about how America hates certain dicators but loves others, it isn't partisanship. its having a very good understanding of history and context and scholarship on the subject.
It's not necessarily partisanship as long as you admit to the obvious.

Quote:
However, this thread is about the idiocy of people on the PROG LEFT saying GOOD things about Castro. Not some on the left trying to make a case against America supporting some bad guys while being outraged about others.
So? I wanted to point out the hypocrisy.

Quote:
Castro was a devil. He killed more than 100k people. He built concentration camps. He persecuted gays. he stole the property of millions and he enslaved an entire nation for 50 years.
He did.

Quote:
He may fall short of the hall of fame of evil that includes Hitler and Pol Pot, but he is certainly in the conversation.
I believe that Bush and Obama belong in that conversation (among others). Sure, I will place them below those you listed but that may be because they had far less time and we being a pretty damn good country had a court system to control them.

Quote:
There is no comparing him to anyone when we are talking about PROG LEFT leaders praising the guy.... PRAISING HIM> Not speaking about American hypocrisy.
You can condemn them. I'm just saying it goes nowhere unless you are better.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
We weren't criticizing Castro either until some airhead politician praised him posthumously. You now want to imply that lack of threads criticizing dictators = our support for them. Wrong.
Is "airhead praise" worse than dropping bombs on innocent women and children?

Quote:
You also keep confusing 'we' with the government. 'We' didn't side with Saddam, the government did. Most of us look at what our politicians are doing and shake our damn heads in disbelief.
While true "we" keep on voting for those same politicians.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:47 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

How can you even ask that when you know he would jump in and state America is just as bad because of blah blah blah?

4,491 posts, read 2,225,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
"Fidel Castro was a symbol of the struggle for justice in the shadow of empire. Presente!"

Jill, you need to fix your teeth.

Or at least have them cleaned.

Then we'll talk about your mental illness.

And to think -- people actually voted for her!
Pitiful that you didn't actually choose to analyze the Tweet and instead when with barely surface level, meaningless aesthetic criticisms.

While it's undeniably unwise to ignore the many flaws and cruelties of Fidel Castro, it is equally unwise to understand what he fought against. The government he overthrew was merely a different flavor of tyrannical and ultimately, much of America's distaste for Castro is marred by propaganda reminding us that he overthrew a corrupt president who was pro-America and that Castro opposed US imperialism. He was a tyrant, who if nothing else, stood up to tyrants. Give credit where it's due and provide criticism where it's needed. To fail to do one while doing the other makes you thoughtless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
What do you think the election was all about?
The same thing as it's been about in the past. Only the future will tell if it's any different this time.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
He's a pacifist, except for liking cop killers. I remember him defending that.
I never did. I do not believe anyone has the right to take the life of another outside of direct self defense.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:48 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Is "airhead praise" worse than dropping bombs on innocent women and children?

While true "we" keep on voting for those same politicians.

Start another thread for that discussion instead of consistently hijacking others threads.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:50 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Pitiful that you didn't actually choose to analyze the Tweet and instead when with barely surface level, meaningless aesthetic criticisms.

While it's undeniably unwise to ignore the many flaws and cruelties of Fidel Castro, it is equally unwise to understand what he fought against. The government he overthrew was merely a different flavor of tyrannical and ultimately, much of America's distaste for Castro is marred by propaganda reminding us that he overthrew a corrupt president who was pro-America and that Castro opposed US imperialism. He was a tyrant, who if nothing else, stood up to tyrants. Give credit where it's due and provide criticism where it's needed. To fail to do one while doing the other makes you thoughtless.
The Czars of Russia were horrible, but that is still not a good reason to praise Stalin.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What praise are we speaking about? That he built a pretty good interstate system? No, I wouldn't bother.

What we are talking about is important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies