Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 12:38 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
It doesn't have to. They only have to pick up 24 seats. And the average pickup is just under 30. I wouldn't count on that not happening either. Two years is a long time and you never know what its going to be like then.
I think it's safe to say that looking at past elections is probably not a good indicator.

The Democrats drove an over the top liberal agenda back in 09 and 10, for example the energy bill that had even less support than Obamacare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXXZYcaSCeI

Then you have Obamacare itself.... I don't think the Republicans will be making the same mistake and with Trump at the helm there is many policies he supports that get support from Democrats. I expect to see a Conservative lite agenda focusing on the economy and fixing Obamacare, that is all they need to accomplish and I will admit fixing Obamacare is the biggest hurdle.

Meanwhile the Democrats are putting Pelosi in leadership positions.... that ultra liberal policy is just not going to fly with moderates and even if they put a moderate into her position that's not going to fly with the fringe. To many different agendas going in opposite directions and nothing to coalesce around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 12:48 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Meanwhile the Democrats are putting Pelosi in leadership positions.... that ultra liberal policy is just not going to fly with moderates and even if they put a moderate into her position that's not going to fly with the fringe. To many different agendas going in opposite directions and nothing to coalesce around.
And there it is, my biggest problem with this discussion.

if you believe Trump won Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Michigan on an economic message, then he did so by running entirely against the Republican party platform and even to the left of Democrats like Pelosi.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:49 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,904,317 times
Time she was sent packing.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
...Trump at the helm there is many policies he supports that get support from Democrats.
This is what greatly worries me. From day one I always knew he was a progressive (look at his past comments and positions just 30 months before the election, not to mention his various hints of positions since then). It worries me we will end up with a variation of a Bush 2.0 (no I don't mean that in the stupidity of the progressives position).

Old 11-30-2016, 12:56 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
I doubt it matters to anyone outside the political class. Trump has the potential to completely rejuvenate the dem party in two years if he stumbles as badly as many think he will. Or it could go the other way. Pelosi is a secondary consideration.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:07 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I doubt it matters to anyone outside the political class. Trump has the potential to completely rejuvenate the dem party in two years if he stumbles as badly as many think he will. Or it could go the other way. Pelosi is a secondary consideration.
Maybe if she was Speaker, not as minority leader.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
This is what I told people who were supporting him during the primaries. If they support a guy who does not stand for true constitutionalism, who does not push and support the concepts of hard government reduction and the promotion of state rights, individualism, and the basic foundation of this countries founding... well...

We will end up with a democrat rule for the next several decades because people will see the conservatives/right/republicans/Constitutionalists as no different than the left, so why bother?

When others were spelling doom of Trumps reign based on some stupid radical claim, I was seeing it being the "same" as the progressives or similar (aka a Bush sr/Bush jr/Clinton/Obama/Carter) and that would cause people to give up on constitutional based focus.

I don't care what anyone says, we failed when we didn't select constitutionally focused candidates like Rand Paul and Cruz this election. What Trump provides is not "conservative", is not "constitutionally focused", it is merely yet another elite in office.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:14 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
I was hoping Ryan would have won instead of Pelosi. Time for fresh ideas and a fresh leader. Darn.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:19 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Democrats had to vote for Pelosi to find out what they will get from her continued leadership.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:21 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I think this is going to hurt Democrats.

What do you think?
The recent election showed that the DNC is just as ****ed as the RNC.

Both parties need complete overhauls, and that includes the clowns in them. They need new people with new ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies