Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 01:40 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,445,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
If not for some drama queens, slavery would still be legal, women would not be able to own property, women would not be able to vote and black people would not be allowed to live, eat, attend school or worship with white folk.
Do you sometimes feel that some people wish that those social justice warriors had all been silenced and/or locked up?

Maybe that's what MAGA is code for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 01:42 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
Do you sometimes feel that some people wish that those social justice warriors had all been silenced and/or locked up?

Maybe that's what MAGA is code for.
I always thought social justice warriors fight for the little guys like this teacher's assistance who doesn't hurt anybody. who knew?

You need to stop the b.s. already. The only person who is silenced is this teacher's a.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:11 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

the Freedom From Religion Foundation, complained to the school's board of directors about it.

for what? For a little guy teacher's assistance displaying a little bible verse.

They (the Freedom From Religion Foundation) are now MLK? give me a break

You are funny!
For what?

For the little children who aren't Christian who attend that school. So that they know they'll be treated fairly in the classroom by the teachers. So that they know that their religion, their beliefs are considered just as valid as anyone else's religion and beliefs by the school system.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:14 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
For what?

For the little children who aren't Christian who attend that school. So that they know they'll be treated fairly in the classroom by the teachers. So that they know that their religion, their beliefs are considered just as valid as anyone else's religion and beliefs by the school system.
Whatever you say, pal,

my response is to the poster who acted like the Freedom From Religion Foundation, is the same as MLK

Removing that little bible verse is not the same as defeating Adolf Hitler LOL

what a joke!

Old 12-01-2016, 02:15 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,799,413 times
Default Who will fetch the golden sickle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am with you. I know there is a lot of good about life today compared to 20 or more years ago, but we were a much more moral country many years ago. We loved our country but we also respected people's religion and remember how and why our country was formed. My interpretation of separation of church and state simply means no religion should be required or pushed down people's throat, not religion should not be a part of our lives. When I heard yesterday there is at least one school district in Or that has even band Santa Claus from any school displays I had to wonder where is our country headed?
Yah, interesting interpretation there.

& of course, Santa Claus is mostly a US commercial invention - there's an underlying base of an actual Christian person - but he's been prettified & made trite over the years, in the interest of flogging sales down to the department stores & big box stores. & naturally, there's no Biblical mention of the person @ all - that (St. Nick) all happened afterwards. Nor, interestingly, did the Puritans & very Bible-centered early religious groupings celebrate Christmas - again, as not being Biblical - & besides, there was all that pagan tree worship & mistletoe & Yule logs & drinking & feasting & cavorting & dancing.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:18 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's okay for any employee to exercise their First Amendment rights. It's okay for employers to determine what the appropriate response is.

I'm sure if the 49'ers or the NFL had fired a certain quarterback nobody on the Left would have cared, right?

Old 12-01-2016, 02:20 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I'm sure if the 49'ers or the NFL had fired a certain quarterback nobody on the Left would have cared, right?
Was he teaching public school students at the time? If he was, I'd support that firing.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:22 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Was he teaching public school students at the time? If he was, I'd support that firing.

The constitution isn't job specific. If a teacher is protected, so is a baker or a football player.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:29 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,799,413 times
Default History & definitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Please show me where in the Constitution it says that my freedom of religion ends the moment I set foot in a tax payer environment.
The Judiciary has held that government must be neutral in questions of religion in the public schools.

Public schools are cases of special government - they have taxing districts, can issue bonds, have boards of education, etc. They are established by their respective state, by statute. They report up to their state DOE, as well reporting some information to the federal DOE.

Therefore, as teachers are hired by the local Independent School District, in accordance with HR regs & licensing standards, professional credentials from accredited schools & on & on - teachers are government employees.

See my first sentence above.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:41 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
NFL is a private organization and can do whatever they wish. Schools, being public do not have that option.

I'm not getting what is so difficult to understand about this concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies