U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 03:43 PM

7,703 posts, read 4,564,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverra View Post
Making $25/hr working for yourself and making $25/hr working as an employee for somebody else are two different things.
This is where you are wrong. In this case I am the employer. I could find someone who charges a cheaper hourly rate, as a matter fact I could pay my current house cleaner and babysitter lower wages, but I do not believe it appropriate to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 04:13 PM

7,185 posts, read 2,754,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
No he didn't.

It's a nonsense article from the fake news New York Times.

Clearly he says he is against raising the minimum wage and the NY Times turns into that hit piece. i.e. Trump says wages are too high in the USA.

Honestly, I can't believe that anyone pays the NY Times any mind these days.
Here we go again... the article quotes trump, so... yes, he did. So, the question is - are you disagreeing that trump actually said what he is quoted as saying? Or, are you just bashing the source?

"“We are a country that’s being beaten on every front, economically, militarily. There is nothing we do now to win,” said Mr. Trump, adding at another point that “our wages are too high.”
In an interview Wednesday morning on “Morning Joe” on MSNBC, the co-host Mika Brzezinski raised the topic again, which gave Mr. Trump the chance to clarify his remarks from the debate. She pointed out the current minimum wage, saying, “Donald, nobody can live on that.”
Mr. Trump responded: “Our taxes are too high. Our wages are too high. We have to compete with other countries.”"

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/firs...too-high/?_r=0

Old 11-30-2016, 04:22 PM

45,119 posts, read 17,925,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Here we go again... the article quotes trump, s
You don't prove the NY Times is right by linking another NY Times article.

You have been quoting such sources here for the last 1.5 years in vain attempt to tell us why Trump won't be elected. You got it wrong 100%.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:40 PM

769 posts, read 596,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
This is where you are wrong. In this case I am the employer. I could find someone who charges a cheaper hourly rate, as a matter fact I could pay my current house cleaner and babysitter lower wages, but I do not believe it appropriate to do so.
Making $25/hr self employed is way different than making $25/hr working for somebody else. The first difference is that you pay self employment estimated taxes quarterly. If you work for somebody else they do that for you along with paying half the SS portion.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:54 PM

19,185 posts, read 15,021,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Because he did:

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/firs...-are-too-high/

How does this jibe with his promises to help the US working-class?
The issue is that they want to pay someone working at fast food $15.00 an hour, a job that really doesn't command $15.00 an hour. These are the kind of jobs generally done by high school kids or college students for "extra money".

What we need are the jobs that command a living wage and more and this is what Trump is talking about doing. It is fine to make a living wage, BUT you need to be doing a job that commands that kind of wage.

Also, there are many that are overpaid, not the lower end of the working class, but others.

Also, cost of living plays into the whole equation.

Don't they teach economics in school anymore?

Old 11-30-2016, 05:16 PM

19,185 posts, read 15,021,691 times
Wages in general have not kept up with inflation which is one reason why if you raise that minimum wage up to $15.00, many of those "Would you like fried with that?" will be making more than factory workers here working their butts off and often having skills/experience.

If we start e-verifying, I can tell people where there will be jobs opening up. If you look at the people aging workforce, I think you'll see that once we start making America first, employers will be competing for employees just like they did years ago before the government sold us out and sent our jobs out of the country.

Keeping in mind that now, it isn't unusual for someone to retire as early as 50, 14.5% of Americans were over 65 in 2014 and by 2060, that number will double: Aging Statistics

Also, we need to get people off welfare and working! It is becoming a very "generational" thing again.

This may also help you understand why raising the minimum wage isn't a great idea: 9 Reasons Why Raising the Minimum Wage Is a Terrible Idea - Reason.com
Forbes Welcome

I have realized for quite some time now, that economics is something that many people do not understand.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-25-2019 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 11-30-2016, 05:23 PM

10,573 posts, read 4,413,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Wages in general have not kept up with inflation which is one reason why if you raise that minimum wage up to $15.00, many of those "Would you like fried with that?" will be making more than factory workers here working their butts off and often having skills/experience.

If we start e-verifying, I can tell people where there will be jobs opening up. If you look at the people aging workforce, I think you'll see that once we start making America first, employers will be competing for employees just like they did years ago before the government sold us out and sent our jobs out of the country.

Keeping in mind that now, it isn't unusual for someone to retire as early as 50, 14.5% of Americans were over 65 in 2014 and by 2060, that number will double: Aging Statistics

This may also help you understand why raising the minimum wage isn't a great idea: 9 Reasons Why Raising the Minimum Wage Is a Terrible Idea - Reason.com
Forbes Welcome

I have realized for quite some time now, that economics is something that many people do not understand.
Over the years there have been times where the only time wages went up was due to minimum wage growth. The conservative dream of no minimum wage is so they can keep wages low and there own pockets full.

When you quote Forbes I am reminded of Steve Forbes flat tax and the false narrative the GOP pushes on people. It is not to the benefit of those in the Middle to low incomes. I have seen it here in NC and it is not good.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:54 PM

13,732 posts, read 9,845,111 times
Technically, American wages are TOO HIGH, when compared to 1901 wages.
Too bad, we can't get CONGRESS to stop debauching the money supply. It's THEIR FAULT.
They stopped following the Constitution in 1933.
But keep blaming the president.
Nothing to see here. Move along.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:22 PM

19,904 posts, read 14,232,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
The full quote is “Our taxes are too high. Our wages are too high. We have to compete with other countries.” Sounds like he's giving reasons why we can't compete in the global marketplace rather than commenting solely on what workers are paid in relation to their value.
He's right...wages are too high to compete with 4/5th of the world.

As I've said dozens of times, your wages will stagnate or be largely flat from here on out, until the rest of the world catches up to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
You agree, then, that $7.25/hr is too high?
Depends on the location. The Supply & Demand of each job-skill in a specific Labor Market determines wages. $7.25/hour is way too high for many southern States, where the wage should actually be closer to $4.00/hour.

You seem to be totally oblivious to the factual reality that the federal poverty level is the weighted average of the poverty levels for the 48 contiguous States, and that the poverty level by State ranges from as low as $6,000 annually to as much as $26,000 annually.

For a State like Mississippi, where the true poverty level is only $6,000 annually, then yes $7.25/hour is way too high.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:21 AM

7,981 posts, read 3,464,079 times
Trump has said a lot of things.Thiis man has a lot of work to do to keep half of the promises he has made. He can't do some things he has said without approval. He has no excuses for failure. He is surrounded by Republicans. Let's see if we can get this country rolling along without all of the obstruction Obama had to deal with....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or