U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 06:54 AM

12,764 posts, read 7,827,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
If the minimum wage had kept pace with inflation since it's inception (25 cents in 1938) it would now be $4.29. So I don't think that's the problem.
It's not so much the 'worth'; it's the buying power.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...MezsH_PIb4VbbQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 06:13 PM

7,185 posts, read 2,756,317 times
Back to the actual thing trump said about wages. Rather than get all waylaid about minimum wage, which is pretty pointless as we are not trying to grow more McDonald's type jobs, what wages are we actually not competitive in? Seems like it would be factory, IT, other skilled work.

If these wages hold as significantly higher than they are in the rest of the world, how can US companies be competitive globally? The rest of the world isn't going to pack up their tents and steal out in the night and leave the US all alone to do what it wants. Like it or not, we must compete globally for money. So... do the companies come back and build robotic factories or not? Where will all those jobs come from? And, what will they pay?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-25-2019 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 06-25-2019, 11:22 AM

79,193 posts, read 33,616,016 times
Default "Our wages are too high" Donald Trump.

I would hope that this stays here as it is a far bigger picture argument than just immigration, even though immigration plays a role this goes to Trump's mindset overall.

If people are educated, wages go up. If we get rid of the illegals wages go up. etc. Trump isn't interested in that. Remember, it was Trump who said he was all about "greed, greed, greed". It's taken awhile but his mouth has really exposed his true self.

Donald Trump doubles down: 'Our wages are too high'

https://www.businessinsider.com/dona...-hNKj75L35-Quw

This isn't about immigration though it plays a role. This is about Trump's greed, greed, greed.

My whole life Iíve been greedy, greedy, greedy. Iíve grabbed all the money I could get. Iím so greedy.

Donald Trump.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:25 AM

9,013 posts, read 2,738,961 times
And people accuse the democrats of wanting to turn the US into a 3rd World country!

Old 06-25-2019, 11:29 AM

8,897 posts, read 2,765,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I would hope that this stays here as it is a far bigger picture argument than just immigration, even though immigration plays a role this goes to Trump's mindset overall.

If people are educated, wages go up. If we get rid of the illegals wages go up. etc. Trump isn't interested in that. Remember, it was Trump who said he was all about "greed, greed, greed". It's taken awhile but his mouth has really exposed his true self.

Donald Trump doubles down: 'Our wages are too high'

https://www.businessinsider.com/dona...-hNKj75L35-Quw

This isn't about immigration though it plays a role. This is about Trump's greed, greed, greed.

My whole life I’ve been greedy, greedy, greedy. I’ve grabbed all the money I could get. I’m so greedy.

Donald Trump.
Spoken by someone (Trump) who is truly clueless about money since he had his daddy's millions to start out with.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:32 AM

3,743 posts, read 1,807,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Spoken by someone (Trump) who is truly clueless about money since he had his daddy's millions to start out with.
I see logic isn't one of your strong points.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:33 AM

79,193 posts, read 33,616,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
He made a blunder. Article is almost four years old.

Then you spun it around your finger and made a dishonest post.
No, it goes to show what his true goal really is. It's why e-verify is NOT being enforced.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:42 AM

15,000 posts, read 13,343,183 times
So is or was Trump right? Are wages too high?

Old 06-25-2019, 11:55 AM

21,920 posts, read 21,734,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So is or was Trump right? Are wages too high?
In the context of the debate and in response to a question about whether he had sympathy for protesters who wanted to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour, probably along with Ben Carson and other candidates.

Quote:
"We have to become competitive with the world. Our taxes are too high, our wages are too high. Everything is too high. We have to compete with other countries."

Trump said. "Our country is not competitive anymore. That's why we're losing all of the manufacturers.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:14 PM

2,791 posts, read 1,915,889 times
Are our wages too high? There is no cut and dried answer. If a company has to compete in a global market where others pay much less, it would necessitate said company to be much more productive and cost efficient in other areas. If they can do that successfully, then no, wages are not too high. If they can no longer compete because no amount of improvement in productivity will allow them to do so, then yes, wages are too high. When I sold my engineering/manufacturing company several years ago I could see the handwriting on the wall. How could I compete when I was paying engineers 80k and my competition in India was paying 15k? You can be better, but that only takes you so far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or