Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you favor privatizing Medicare?
Yes 16 13.45%
No 103 86.55%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 11:31 PM

977 posts, read 1,105,519 times

Advertisements

No. The possibility of privatization of it and of Social Security because of political power concentrated in the hands of the Republican party frightens me, as those are the 2 programs that are just about my only safety net, other than the small amount of savings I was able to accumulate after a late in life divorce and long term illness. So many in our country currently depend on those programs and many more are counting on them to be there for them soon. It seems rather heartless to me that the powerful, such as Paul Ryan (who, by the way, benefited greatly from the social security program) seem to care very little about the people it will affect. Power and money seem to be the driving factor in the race to privatize.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 11:33 PM

31,841 posts, read 14,828,433 times
Unless you are knowledgeable about health care plans.....most people who have to choose their own plan have no idea what they are doing. Why are we putting this on seniors to shop around. How do we know they won't get scammed. I think it's a horrible idea.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:16 AM

23,653 posts, read 17,416,322 times
I favor privatizing everything. If there is competition there will be better standards for taking care of the elderly, don't do a good job you go out of business.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:18 AM

23,653 posts, read 17,416,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Unless you are knowledgeable about health care plans.....most people who have to choose their own plan have no idea what they are doing. Why are we putting this on seniors to shop around. How do we know they won't get scammed. I think it's a horrible idea.
That's because you think the elderly are stupid. Like my FIL said, "we're old, not stupid."

Old 12-01-2016, 08:26 AM

5,768 posts, read 3,195,772 times
Default Good catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiDog View Post
Very possible if Medicare/Medicaid for seniors is privatized that states will begin enforcing filial support laws. The average senior’s social security check wouldn’t come close to paying for private insurance to cover hospitalizations or nursing home care, so if you have kids you might want to prepare them.

Northwestern MutualVoice: Who Will Pay For Mom's Or Dad's Nursing Home Bill? Filial Support Laws And Long-Term Care
Boy was that article interesting for us boomers.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:48 AM

18,737 posts, read 8,348,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I favor privatizing everything. If there is competition there will be better standards for taking care of the elderly, don't do a good job you go out of business.
Again, most on the delivery side is in the private sector. And there is competition in many if not most cases.

That being said, we don't want the private HC insurance carriers to dictate our medical standards of care. That needs to rest with the docs.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:49 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,609,873 times
I often use Medicare as an example of republican BS, i.e. how it contributes to the national debt, but they won't cut it because old people vote.

But in reality I don't support Medicare cuts, I just find Medicare to be an illustrative example of republican hypocrisy.

"But we paid for it!" .... No... No you did not.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
That's because you think the elderly are stupid. Like my FIL said, "we're old, not stupid."

As a primary care doc of 40 years, I would have to say that too many of my patients had little clue on what sort of coverage they need. Of course many do. But the problem at times has been complexity and actually too many choices. As in Medicare Part D when it came out. If there are too many choices with plans it gets too confusing for most. I helps to have someone reliable in the insurance business as an advisor. As I need and do, and I'm a doc.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
"In the business" is the problematic part.

For something as valued as medicine is I would prefer my doctor to only know medicine.

I'm the customer (patient if I can be so bold). That's how the rest of us (I think) look at it.
I've never had customers, only patients. And I always place my patients best interests first. But if you're a doc without any business knowledge, you will be doomed as a servant/slave. I've seen it time and again.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:58 AM

6,129 posts, read 7,941,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Nope. Do away Affordable Care Act and Medicaid. Allow States to control and set up an open insurance market. With multiple insurance companies and a State funded insurance. Set up term limits on those on Welfare, 36 month's. Also those on State Insurance should be required to work 15 hours or more. State Insurance cost is dictated by income and dependents. Create universal Healthcare for individuals 70 or older. As well create a Universal Mental Health Care. Deregulate Pharmaceuticals, do away with red tape, and busy Pharmaceutical monopolies.
And what do the disabled do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies