Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you favor privatizing Medicare?
Yes 16 13.45%
No 103 86.55%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 07:58 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Simple question.
Simple answer
No
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 08:01 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Well, no, but nice try anyway.

Well yes. In it's simplest form insurance works by spreading the risk across the largest participating population possible. If every car has insurance, the premiums paid by those not in collisions will sufficiently cover the losses caused by those who do. Same with healthcare. If everyone contributes, the premiums paid by the healthy cover the costs of the sick so the system doesn't bankrupt itself.

The entire actuarial industry exists around this premise.

If the goal of the market is to turn a profit, the premium increases need to be enough to cover costs plus profit, plus likely a "rainy day" portion in case of catastrophic loss when it comes to things like home insurance.

If profit is removed, overall premiums go down.

How did you think insurance works?

Old 12-01-2016, 08:04 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Same with healthcare. If everyone contributes, the premiums paid by the healthy cover the costs of the sick so the system doesn't bankrupt itself.
There is no natural basis for this. Risk sharing helps, but with seniors and/or those with pre-existing disease there may be a perpetual imbalance that only central supports can fill.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:09 AM

4,958 posts, read 2,236,377 times
Quote:
Simple question.
Not in the modern day of corporations and crony capitalism. They system is not perfect now... plenty of room for improvement. But when corporations become involved it is all about maximizing shareholder profits. It should be about the services provided to the client.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:24 AM

1,302 posts, read 683,457 times
WTF? I see unthinkable to put my health to be a matter of Bursatilization.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:52 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times
Quote:
Simple question.
There is nothing "simple" about Medicare. I personally don't like it and would prefer to go back to my high deductible employer provided insurance with a Health Saving Account -- I would save a LOT of money as my "health costs" increased by a factor of +10 times with my being forced into Medicare.

I have no idea what a "private plan" would look like and neither does anyone else - impossible to make a choice when you have zero idea what the choice would look like.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
There is no natural basis for this. Risk sharing helps, but with seniors and/or those with pre-existing disease there may be a perpetual imbalance that only central supports can fill.
Of course there is. A single payer system. Either that or direct contribution, but a single payer system would be much better.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
There is nothing "simple" about Medicare. I personally don't like it and would prefer to go back to my high deductible employer provided insurance with a Health Saving Account -- I would save a LOT of money as my "health costs" increased by a factor of +10 times with my being forced into Medicare.

I have no idea what a "private plan" would look like and neither does anyone else - impossible to make a choice when you have zero idea what the choice would look like.
Why are you not still on your employers plan then?

Old 12-01-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Of course there is. A single payer system. Either that or direct contribution, but a single payer system would be much better.
OK if that is your goal. But total HC costs will have to go up. Which is OK by me.
And more central moneys will have to be created to meet all our HC needs. Also OK by me.
My point is that there is no natural dollar balance as say some other more typical supply/demand business.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
OK if that is your goal. But total HC costs will have to go up. Which is OK by me.
And more central moneys will have to be created to meet all our HC needs. Also OK by me.
My point is that there is no natural dollar balance as say some other more typical supply/demand business.
100% agree. Which is all the more reason that it shouldn't be in the hands of a for profit enterprise. Healthcare is a money loser unless extortionate, and has been pointed out, one of the few industries where you eventually have a 100% failure rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies