Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you favor privatizing Medicare?
Yes 16 13.45%
No 103 86.55%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 06:43 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,545 times

Advertisements

Hell no and the people pushing it, quite frankly, are crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 06:45 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
Not familiar with that word, but since this is the 'net, I looked it up:

Collectivism is the moral stance, political philosophy, ideology, or social outlook that emphasizes the group and its interests.

Do you really think our rising medical costs are due to collectivism? I don't know how many claims I can make for hurting myself laughing in one day.

Go ahead, go without medical insurance and negotiate your individual care when you get sick.
You can't have quasi-capitalism. It's either capitalism or statism.

If I try to negotiate anything outside of third party intervention (the government) I'll be caged.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:47 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Hell no and the people pushing it, quite frankly, are crazy.
Medicare privatization will absolutely happen unless the pushback is so hard and vocal that Paul Ryan and Tom Price back down. They are already giving timelines (the second budget for 2018) but others in Congress sound nervous or are refusing to answer.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:49 PM

809 posts, read 746,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post

If I try to negotiate anything outside of third party intervention (the government) I'll be caged.
OK, we agree on the caged part since you don't believe in the need for government to deal with externalities.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:50 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Good one!
I've been on this forum too long.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:55 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Cut it. Cut it. Cut it. Cut it. Your healthcare's way too high you need to cut it!

Great song!

When they say privatize, is everything so absolute? Can they make it affordable and not so bad for the elderly?

Old 11-30-2016, 07:17 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Which kind of the main reason that private insurance won't work for the elderly.
The essence. i.e. Social programs tend to form where there is societal need and the private sector fears to tread.

http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/82/2/PHCBP.pdf

Old 11-30-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
Not familiar with that word, but since this is the 'net, I looked it up:

Collectivism is the moral stance, political philosophy, ideology, or social outlook that emphasizes the group and its interests.

Do you really think our rising medical costs are due to collectivism? I don't know how many claims I can make for hurting myself laughing in one day.

Go ahead, go without medical insurance and negotiate your individual care when you get sick.
You need to be careful. Collectivism with HC can certainly lead to more overall costs. But that needs to be a societal choice.

If we cover everyone, much more medical encounters will take place, more medical stuff will be done, more disease discovered, and then then more treatments for more patients living longer. I say all good to all of it. But it will cost more.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post

We have both right now.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:33 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
If we cover everyone, much more medical encounters will take place, more medical stuff will be done, more disease discovered, and then then more treatments for more patients living longer. I say all good to all of it. But it will cost more.
The goal here is preventative healthcare. Not "when you get really sick" health care, that's the most expensive kind there is. Medicare in the US is expensive because the people who use it will cost it the most, they're older, they may have had a lifetime of not going to the doctor or surgeon to get things fixed before it becomes serious and they got a lot of stuff that needs fixed. It's a ridiculous system where the entire population pays for the most expensive people, and the payers don't see any benefit.

People are afraid to get medical attention because they can't afford it are the reason the US is failing its people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies