Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 05:59 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,963,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Believe it or not though a lot of people will not frequent a place where it does not have human beings taking their order. People don't need fast food and if they find they are not getting good service aka a computer screen they will go elsewhere that has employees to take their order. Millennials mostly like kiosks and anything related to computers, phones etc.. so they don't care. The 10s of millions of baby boomers and gen x-ers like me care more about human interaction when dining out over using a computer.
I'm a gen x-er and I would be perfectly happy with a kiosk. Probably would get my order right - for once. The only fast food place I've been where they consistently get my order right is Chick-Fil-A. Something like Taco Bell? Total grab bag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 06:02 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,890,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
We have a new dine in/take out restaurant by me that is really nice and offers a pretty healthy selection of food. The first thing I noticed when I walked in was that they had about 5-6 touch screen computers facing the customer where you would traditionally place your order, and about 4 people in the back working to actually make the food. Nice big 24" monitors where you just tap a few images and navigate a menu, then swipe your credit card and you are done. The declining expense of technology, increasing aptitude of people to use touch screens and apps, plus the clamoring for high paying but low value jobs is a perfect storm for this type of labor being easily replaced.

For those that say forcing a $15 min wage is a good thing, I'll take you out for lunch to this place one day and you can literally see the error of your ways in front of your eyes while you enjoy a nice tasty, healthy lunch.
There are computer kiosks in Panera Bread. I always go to those now if theres any sort of line for the cashier and I'm in and out very quick.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:02 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,552,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I'm a gen x-er and I would be perfectly happy with a kiosk. Probably would get my order right - for once. The only fast food place I've been where they consistently get my order right is Chick-Fil-A. Something like Taco Bell? Total grab bag.
Not me. If a business just wants to throw a kiosk in my face it shows they are just money hungry they don't care about customer satisfaction. Also if they eliminate the employees with these kiosks they better pass on the savings to the consumer but they won't. Just like the food company scams with smaller packages and portions but the same price and a lot of times even higher then before that.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:03 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,439,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Not me. If a business just wants to throw a kiosk in my face it shows they are just money hungry they don't care about customer satisfaction. Also if they eliminate the employees with these kiosks they better pass on the savings to the consumer but they won't. Just like the food company scams with smaller packages and portions but the same price and a lot of times even higher then before that.
Do you go inside to pay for gas and have someone pump it?

Old 12-01-2016, 06:05 PM

18,533 posts, read 10,469,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
If no-one mentioned this: MD's is rolling out self-ordering machines.

Another thought: if business owners are forced to pay $15 an hour, you can imagine that hours will be cut to reduce the hit to store owners.
So no employees ...that means cost will go down so I will either get cheaper food or a discount for using the kiosks,right?

Old 12-01-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
So no employees ...that means cost will go down so I will either get cheaper food or a discount for using the kiosks,right?
Just won't go up as quick.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
There are computer kiosks in Panera Bread. I always go to those now if theres any sort of line for the cashier and I'm in and out very quick.
Do you get a discount? I mean you are saving them money and you don't even get a discount???The reason I go out for food is becuase I don't want to deal with it,now becuase republicans are crying and killing the middle class I have to go to a restaurant and still get my own food .No.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Do you get a discount? I mean you are saving them money and you don't even get a discount???The reason I go out for food is becuase I don't want to deal with it,now becuase republicans are crying and killing the middle class I have to go to a restaurant and still get my own food .No.
No discount as far as I can remember. If there is, it's negligible. I save them money and they save me time. Mutually beneficial.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
No discount as far as I can remember. If there is, it's negligible. I save them money and they save me time. Mutually beneficial.

Nope on the time it still must be prepared by a person.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Nope on the time it still must be prepared by a person.
I skip a whole bunch of people who wait for the cashier. They do my order before the others who are still in line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies