Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 12:59 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,018,746 times

Advertisements

I've always been curious as to how many brawls the average man has been in during his life. So I thought I'd pose the question here. Also, when was your last fight, and did you feel you won any of these fights?

Since I asked, I should go first. Throughout most of my adult life, I haven't found myself in any situations/confrontations that would have led to anything physical. Highschool, I had a couple altercations. But I was very small and weak then, my punches were ineffective against these bigger guys.

My last "fight" if you want to call it that, was at a Pantera concert about 20 years ago. A couple guys attacked me in the bathroom, they got a few face shots in and stole my floor pass. I was just left stunned and bloody.

OK that's my turn! Let's hear your stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 01:04 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
What did you say? Respect, walk. Are you talking to me? Are you talking to me?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:10 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,650,865 times
Beat up at a Pantera concert? You fared better than Dimebag.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:29 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,173 times
I'm like most men I guess. Lots of fights as a kid, and a young man. Then a gap after I got married of many years. There was the one in 1979 with a neighbour. I was 26 at the time. He liked playing music late at night. In the end, his stereo system ended up in his front garden..........

The last time was two and a half years ago, when I was 60 years old. I was walking to the supermarket. I saw an alteration going on about 50 yards in front of me. It was a young guy, and two women. One older, I assume the other's mother. I crossed the road to avoid any problems.

As I came level with them, the man hit the young woman in the face, and down she went. The other woman was hysterical. I just couldn't ignore it. So, I crossed the road, saying something like, "hey, that's enough of that. Come on now."

The young man started shouting at me in a foreign language. He came up, and pushed me. His eyes were wide, and he was angry. Well, I may be getting along in years, but if you come right in my face, youthful advantage is lost.

I punched him hard on his nose, and down he went. I stood over him, ready to deliver another if he tried to get up. I'm not stupid....... if he managed to get me on the floor, my bum left knee would keep me there.........

He sat on the kerb crying, and touching his obviously broken nose. I waved at the women to go, and they did. When they were out of sight, I backed away from the man, and hurried away. By the time I got to the supermarket, my hands were shaking badly. I was really shook up. I felt that way for a couple of days.

It could have turned out very differently, and I could have been hurt badly. I will try and avoid anything like that again. I guess I'm just too old for fighting anymore.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:18 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
I've always been curious as to how many brawls the average man has been in during his life. So I thought I'd pose the question here. Also, when was your last fight, and did you feel you won any of these fights?

Since I asked, I should go first. Throughout most of my adult life, I haven't found myself in any situations/confrontations that would have led to anything physical. Highschool, I had a couple altercations. But I was very small and weak then, my punches were ineffective against these bigger guys.

My last "fight" if you want to call it that, was at a Pantera concert about 20 years ago. A couple guys attacked me in the bathroom, they got a few face shots in and stole my floor pass. I was just left stunned and bloody.

OK that's my turn! Let's hear your stories.
LOL, can I include the ones with family or just with the general public? I have 5 brothers (I'm the youngest) and we laugh at the family pictures because at least one of us has a black eye or scraped up face in every picture. Of course this is when we were all young, under 18.

To be honest, I've not been in many real fights. I've been punched and I've punched but it's usually over after that. But I'm 6'2/220 and usually pretty quiet in public. I will never be the guy drinking too much and smarting off to random people and I forgive A LOT unless it's directed at one of my kids or my wife.

I told a drunk guy at Miller Park in Milwaukee that was using terrible language in front of my kids that I was going to see if he could fly if he didn't shut his mouth (we were on one of the walking bridges) and he shut up and walked fast away so I must have had fire in my eyes. Thank god he wasn't crazy and packing a gun.

When you are young and you are a man you are getting in fights at times. I was lucky, but if I ever punched someone I would worry about them and feel guilty. Definitely not the heart of a fighter here.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:20 AM

599 posts, read 401,265 times
I've never been in a fight and I'm only twenty though I hope I never have to get involved in one.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:20 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times
I have 5 sons and had all of them play football and hockey and that seemed a good formula for keeping them out of trouble and getting their aggression out in a controlled way. I highly advise organized sports for kids.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:21 AM

15,625 posts, read 10,378,651 times
I haven't been in a fist fight since grade school. Adults should have more sense than to hit another person to settle a disagreement.

Here in Texas, a person is likely to get shot for hitting another person. Many people conceal carry.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:23 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,105 times
Fighting as an adult is dumb unless it's necessary to protect oneself or others. Too many unexpected things can happen to ruin one's life.

My wife went to high school with a guy who got in a drunken bar brawl. He punched the other guy, who went down and hit his head on something and died. Puncher is a felon now for something stupid.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:43 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,001 times
I'm 41 and I never been in a street fight during my adulthood. I guess that having CCW and being armed all the time forcing you to avoid confrontations.
I'v been in firefights but it was in the military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies