Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 12:46 PM

937 posts, read 927,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Yup and it's called negotiations. Both parties have to give up something. The other option was to lose those jobs. BTW, the incentives will be made up by the income taxes from those jobs in a few years so it's actually a very smart investment. You do that every time and twice on Sunday.
Care to back up that claim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 01:02 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaider08 View Post
Care to back up that claim?
Easy enough.

Carrier got $7000/employee spread over 10 years.

How much income tax to you think each employee will pay over that same period.

How much income tax to you think employees & businesses that depend on that plant will pay over the same period.

I can't imagine why anyone would need to challenge it unless their only objective was to some how criticize Trump for saving those jobs.

Old 12-04-2016, 02:48 PM

937 posts, read 927,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Easy enough.

Carrier got $7000/employee spread over 10 years.

How much income tax to you think each employee will pay over that same period.

How much income tax to you think employees & businesses that depend on that plant will pay over the same period.

I can't imagine why anyone would need to challenge it unless their only objective was to some how criticize Trump for saving those jobs.

That's $7 million for jobs paying sub-40k/year for short-term labor
I doubt even with taxes/trickle down that that offer breaks even.

That seems far more "feel good" than pragmatic. Especially if, 10 years from now, Carrier comes back asking for a re-up.

I'll challenge it because it's ****ing foolish and arguable that $7 million spent on government labor goes further to accomplish goals than $7 million to rural Indiana.

Old 12-04-2016, 02:53 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times
Quote:
Constant bleating excuses like this is why the Middle Class abandoned the Democrats and Hillary Clinton.

Obama tells America why manufacturing jobs, including those provided by Carrier, can't be saved.

i.e. He is a failed President. This is why Hillary lost the election.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-UGVfv-4Kc

Trump didn't not save those jobs. He merely delayed the inevitable. They will keep them in Indiana a few years, reap some tax benefits, and then quietly move them anyway. We have seen this play out a thousand times in the rust belt.

Old 12-04-2016, 03:28 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Trump didn't not save those jobs.....
Are they going to Mexico?

Nope.

Case closed.

And remember this was done while Obama is still President.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:40 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:

Nope.

Case closed.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:59 PM

42,846 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
The decision by the company to move to Mexico was already a done deal. That Trump was able to save 1/2 of them was a real achievement. Its not like you are trying to tell the whole story. Wanting to be pessimistic and hang on to the massive failure of no nuts Obama is resistance to change. What Obama says is inevitable is made so by his policy to put Americans last and globalization first. Obama failed to recognize he was elected to be president of the US not president of the world.
Trump is the voice of the people who elected him and he is ours. The people made a good deal rejecting failures of the past.
An achievement with a price tag of 7 million dollars, which signals to every other company in the US that Trump can be held hostage in order to get companies to keep a few employees in the US. 7 million for 800 jobs doesn't sound like such a grand deal to me...

Old 12-04-2016, 08:14 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
An achievement with a price tag of 7 million dollars, which signals to every other company in the US that Trump can be held hostage in order to get companies to keep a few employees in the US. 7 million for 800 jobs doesn't sound like such a grand deal to me...

7 mill is cheap. Usually corps get 150-200k per job, so 800 would usually merit $120-$160 million in incentives.

Ct paid $300 mill for 300 jobs in one case. $1 mill a job.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:48 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Constant bleating excuses like this is why the Middle Class abandoned the Democrats and Hillary Clinton.

Obama tells America why manufacturing jobs, including those provided by Carrier, can't be saved.

i.e. He is a failed President. This is why Hillary lost the election.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-UGVfv-4Kc
Again, I'll be the first to admit that Obama should've done what Trump just did, but...

You guys are extremely dishonest here. You've all been saying that it's a corporation's duty to make a profit for the shareholders. Conservatives have reiterated time and time again that the free market is no place for government interference. Conservatives have said that moving to cheaper labor nations is consistent with good business principles.

Conservatives have also beaten us libs over the head with their rhetoric that unions are killing American corporations...and that unions are evil, corrupt, and past their time by decades.

Well Carrier workers are highly paid union workers. Where is the antipathy you showed against the UAW back in 2008? Why are you all so adamant that these highly paid union jobs need to be saved all of a sudden when in 2008, there was little to no sympathy for union jobs being on the precipice of being lost.

Maybe some of you should pull up the CD thread about Hostess shutting down because of their so called union troubles. Not a single conservative in that thread stood up for those union employees. They were excoriated as bring greedy.

But now, you're saying that Obama should've stepped in, when you know damn well that conservatives would've went nuts. They would've complained about Obama putting his foot on the neck of a private company...and interfering in Indiana's state business.

The dishonest nonsense you folks spew is simply laughable.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:49 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times
Quote:

Nope.

Case closed.

Had Obama done this, Republicans would have been screeching about how now every company will threaten to move jobs so they can get the same tax break.

And like I said, those jobs will move quietly in a few years anyway. I come from upstate New York and have seen the state government do this over and over, and always the same result. Companies enjoy a few years of tax breaks and then move jobs anyway.

And btw, Carrier is still laying people off. Worst part is that this deal is completely opaque and we don't even know what the government gave up. More corporate welfare, I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies