Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 09:20 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
Right, you don't understand statistics. Because the U3 can, for example, be "reset" by people returning to work (e.g., part time) and then losing the job, which starts the clock back up on whether they are counted as "not looking for work." I explained that very clearly, which was why I was laughing at liberals who are forced to make silly statements about how people returning to work increases the unemployment rate (which it does, if you follow only the U3).
The U6 rate has also fallen from 13.7% in Oct 2013 to 9.3% in Nov 2016 while the LFPR has declined by 0.1%. The only way you are included in the LFPR is if you are unemployed and not looking for work. The percentage of people in that category has barely moved over the last 3 years. While the number of unemployment who recently looked for work (U3) has declined significantly; as has the broader measure U6 which would include people who work part time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 09:27 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Obviously, the unemployment rate on CD is pretty darn high.

Regardless, those that have pooh-pooh the economic numbers since 2009 (based on their vast experience and education, no doubt), will suddenly maintain that the economy is growing by leaps and bounds next March, and everything will be rosy.

I will, I admit, miss (during the Trump administration) the old 'labor participation rate' argument that is raised like clockwork every time good economy news comes out.

I keep telling my 88 year old mother that she, and her lazy aged friends (at least, those still alive), contribute to this poor rate, and she must get some type of job to fix it. I also can't imagine why all these 16 year olds don't simply quit school and get a job, and so help with the LPR. I also see all of these people reaching age 65 or 66 and 'retiring', not knowing that they are simply providing CD posters with fodder for the mill.

It is scandalous.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:31 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Considering where the rest of the world is economically, we are doing better than just 'well', we are doing very well. I don't know what to tell people who always see the negative and insist US is destroyed, and the American dream is dead. You can't help people like that. Their views are so tied to politics, and political figures that they will never see anything positive unless they can tie it to their favorite political figures. Such people are "minions".

Old 12-02-2016, 09:40 AM

7,498 posts, read 5,745,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Plus a record 74 months of continuous job growth. Let it be remembered this is a strong economy that Donald Trump is inheriting. Thanks Obama!
They changed how the numbers are calculated and these jobs are part time, low wage or seasonal. Damnit people he's been blowing smoke up your butts for 8 freaking years.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:45 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
They changed how the numbers are calculated and these jobs are part time, low wage or seasonal. Damnit people he's been blowing smoke up your butts for 8 freaking years.
Again.. take a look of the numbers broken by sector.

Unless the methodology changed between 11/15 and 11/16, the numbers are declining.. ignoring the actual numbers but whether or not the number is heading down or up year over year.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:51 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
Plus a record 74 months of continuous job growth. Let it be remembered this is a strong economy that Donald Trump is inheriting. Thanks Obama!
Knew it was a matter of time before someone would claim any Trump success is because of obama.

Problem is no one can explain cause and effect.

Tell us what obama did to raise the UE rate.

The UE rate is one of many indicators and taken by itself as meaningless as knowing the value of your sgpt without any other analyte values to putit in perspective.

Job growth in the service industry and temporary jobs, not careers. Obama also owns the record for most people out of work and not counted in the UE rate.

Obama owns the record for people on food stamps.

The economy has been in hibernation, covered with the snows of regulations, waiting for the, 'US spring' to emerge from their dens and deep sleep with the promise of Trump.

The days of creative accounting by a bystander president who caused more harm than good are finally over.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:53 AM

575 posts, read 298,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Obviously, the unemployment rate on CD is pretty darn high.
I was thinking the same. A lot of posters seem to have been left behind.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:55 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post

It's the celebrity thing.
You honestly think Trump was elected because it was a "celebrity thing"?

Not even the most dishonest political pundits and MSM Lefty news anchors have made such a claim. Trump made economic promises during the campaign that appealed to more voters, Dems, Repubs, and Indies, than the other candidate. That is why he won.

Now will Trump keep those promises and will the economy improve under those policies? I don't know. I sure won't be a fawning fanboy if Trump doesn't succeed, unlike the Obama worshippers who ignored Obama's enormous failures. Count on that.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:02 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Default Quit lying!

Quote:
This administration has been fudging the numbers for years. There is no "record 74 months of continuous job growth!" If that was true, we wouldn't have half the workforce unemployed!
If it were true, the housing market would be booming with new home buyers, but instead, we have the lowest home ownership since WWII. That's a fact, Jack! Look it up!

You believe everything this administration tells you.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:04 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Question: How does the nearly full employment rate of 4.6% jive with the push for a $15 minimum wage? From a pure supply/demand perspective, this doesn't seem logical. Maybe I'm missing something or just not being logical, but I'd think that nearly full employment would also mean that at current wages, its easy to replace someone not willing to accept the wage being offered, hence no need to raise wages?

I realize that this only applies to one sector of the labor market but just curious how these two things fit together? And yes I've posted before saying that I think a $15 minimum wage demand isn't reasonable, but I'm open to listening if something like the scenario I'm asking about above changes my perspecitve. I don't want to take this thread off topic to a minimum wage discussion at all, just want to understand how it ties in here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies