Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 12:30 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
All of this talk about Trump's cabinet members being the richest in history is misleading and/or dishonest.

If you take into account inflation you can look up JFK's cabinet and FDR's to discover that they may be the richest.

For instance ... You keep hearing how Trump is the richest President Elect in history which is also untrue.

When George Washington took office in 1789, his worth was around 525 million dollars.
($1.00 in 1789 is equal to over $25.00 today!)

In today's dollars that equates to just over Thirteen Billion Dollars!
No, he was worth about 580 million in today's dollars. Still big, but not 13 billion dollars worth
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_net_worth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 12:32 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Rewrite the history to fit your agenda. You might want to add that that 1995 tax return showed a 885 million tax write off good for the next 20 years. That meant effectively that Trump paid no federal taxes from 1995 until 2015. trumps response was, "It makes me smart". My response is "It makes me sick."

Pathetic whiney winners.
Anybody who pays more taxes than they're legally required to are stupid....and it wasn't the winner who was whining.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:33 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
darn I have been fishing in the wrong swamp- prize hauls in there

Old 12-02-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
No. Trickle down starts one level above, at the top percenters needing tax breaks so that they would be free to spend that new money and kick start the economy. The businesses benefit from this spending, which in turn benefits the rest of society. But the start is the wealthy having more disposable income to spend.
During the downturn, I remember private jet and yacht companies laying people off because rich folks were tightening up their spending. People forget that blue collar folks are the ones making things people rich people are buying. How many people to poor people employ?

Old 12-02-2016, 12:41 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Trump assembles America's 'richest cabinet' - BBC News

With them being the richest cabinet in history, it just means their wealth will trickle down. They're making huuuuge sacrifices for our country.

They won't even need to take salaries. Think of the savings! Patriots!

Something something swamps something something...

Jealous?

Old 12-02-2016, 12:52 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
During the downturn, I remember private jet and yacht companies laying people off because rich folks were tightening up their spending. People forget that blue collar folks are the ones making things people rich people are buying. How many people to poor people employ?
Yeah right. "so the answer to our economic problems is to give rich people more money so maybe they'll spend it on things middle class people make?
How many 50 million dollar yachts do you think there's a market for, anyway.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:59 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Give trickle-down tax cuts to the rich and you support one yacht company, that's servicing 10 clients a year and employs 10 people making $40k.

Give middle-class tax cuts and you support dozens of auto dealerships, employing hundreds of people earning $40k.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Yeah right. "so the answer to our economic problems is to give rich people more money so maybe they'll spend it on things middle class people make?
Depends on how many rich folks there are.
You can buy a yacht for less than $200K btw.

Its not the 100% answer to economic problems, but its not a problem in running government either.
I'd much rather a billionaire run a public office over a crackhead.
At least you have to step up your game to get a billionaire in your pocket, while a crackhead can be paid off for $5.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:00 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Actually things like planes and boats have fairly large crews of people that either tend to them on a daily basis, or are required for regularly scheduled maintenance and repairs. They are far from "once and done" purchases as you are trying to paint them.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:01 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Today I learned that non-millionaires are losers and failures.
You mean, this election year didn't teach you that already?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies