Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2016, 01:10 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Maybe we should judge people on their character or accomplishments rather than how many zeros they have in their net worth?

The argument that someone is bad or good based on them being rich or middle class or poor is absurd.

I do think that billionaires have insight and experience in many cases that could be beneficial.
Them not having to worry about bills or a paycheck allows them to focus more. Those needs have already been met.

They don't have to worry about paying their kids college education or their mortgage.
Hmmm... you think rich folks don't worry about staying rich?

They very much do.

Also... I do agree with you in that there's nothing wrong with hiring wealthy people. At all. To ignore a qualified cabinet appointee because s/he is wealthy would be very wrong.

But...

To run on a platform that says you're all about "the people" and you want to bring back jobs to the folks who are struggling, then appoint nothing but elitists who are multi-millionaires and billionaires seems to be to be lacking in something. That "something" is a feel for what those people really need.

Trump doesn't actually know what their lives are like. How in the world could he? He's been extremely wealthy all his life.

Not sure how many people you know who are extremely wealthy, but I know a goodly number of them and the ones who have been that way all their lives have next to no idea how "everyday" folks live or how they think.

Trump makes Bush Jr. look like an every man.

And Junior wasn't at all brought up poor.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:13 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Actually things like planes and boats have fairly large crews of people that either tend to them on a daily basis, or are required for regularly scheduled maintenance and repairs. They are far from "once and done" purchases as you are trying to paint them.
so. There's Trump's new economy in a nutshell. We'll give the rich all the money and they'll hire us all to tend to their needs. Historically we used to call it servitude. Now it's trickle down economics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
LOL! Prog left up in arms. all hot and bothered about "rich people"

The same group ran Bernie Sanders off for their beloved Hillary Clinton... the woman who made hundreds of millions of dollars giving speeches to the Banksters. Selling influence to Saudi Princes.

This is the same group that didn't think twice about Obama nominating John Kerry SecState. Kerry being on of the wealthiest men in the country.

This from the same PROG LEFT people that take George Soros' money to corrupt every corner of American politics.

NOW. at this point. now that it is NOT a PROG that is super rich and in power... NOW wealth is back to being evil.

and you people wonder why blue collar workers have turned their backs on you.
Would it kill you to type out "progressive?"

That minor point aside, you know that Clinton didn't run on Trump's "drain the swamp" platform, right?

And, Kerry married wealth. He's not a Trump by any stretch.

It's not that anyone really cares if politicians or their appointees are wealthy.

It's that Trump made all these promises that seemed to center on the poor and disenfranchised and he's managed to appoint the wealthiest cabinet in US history.

You know that just doesn't jibe with his campaign promises.

Admit it and hold him accountable. I assume you voted for him, so make sure he does what he said he'd do.

I didn't vote for him. I'm an Independent who leans left. I think Trump is a really awful choice for President, but he's the guy who got the most electoral college votes, so I'm all about making sure he doesn't screw the country up.

As we should ALL BE.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:15 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Hmmm... you think rich folks don't worry about staying rich?

They very much do.

Also... I do agree with you in that there's nothing wrong with hiring wealthy people. At all. To ignore a qualified cabinet appointee because s/he is wealthy would be very wrong.

But...

To run on a platform that says you're all about "the people" and you want to bring back jobs to the folks who are struggling, then appoint nothing but elitists who are multi-millionaires and billionaires seems to be to be lacking in something. That "something" is a feel for what those people really need.

Trump doesn't actually know what their lives are like. How in the world could he? He's been extremely wealthy all his life.

Not sure how many people you know who are extremely wealthy, but I know a goodly number of them and the ones who have been that way all their lives have next to no idea how "everyday" folks live or how they think.

Trump makes Bush Jr. look like an every man.

And Junior wasn't at all brought up poor.
You know what they say. "Beginnings lay the foundation for the future"
Based on Trump's beginnings I see a very troubled future for the poor and middle class in this nation.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
so. There's Trump's new economy in a nutshell. We'll give the rich all the money and they'll hire us all to tend to their needs. Historically we used to call it servitude. Now it's trickle down economics.
I've always wanted a job peeling grapes and fanning the wealthy.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:16 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Your reply has zero to do with what I said, but feel free to continue venting. No slaves in this country last time I checked either.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
You know what they say. "Beginnings lay the foundation for the future"
Based on Trump's beginnings I see a very troubled future for the poor and middle class in this nation.
I am worried about those demographic populations, too. *sigh*

I wish they were more worried.

I wish they'd all rise up and hold Trump accountable, not meet him at rallies and cheer him. That just feeds his ego.

Start asking him tough questions. Demand accountability. Question his choices.

This is what every person in America, whether they voted for him or not, should be doing.

But, if a person voted for him? They should be working even harder at keeping him on the task they felt he was qualified to perform.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:19 PM

57,232 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Just to summarize this thread, very successful people = bad?

Why? They clearly have been very successful, unless they broke laws I'm interested in seeing how they can apply their success to a government role that hopefully improves our country.
Success in business is quite different than government, you need to compromise. Anyway we are about to see how this works out in January.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:21 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,456,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
come on. he could have picked YOU and you would complain.

we are talking about the Secretary of the Treasury. you want him to go out and get someone who has no finance experience?

I mean good grief.

no, but when someone runs on an anti-globalist, anti-corporate elitist platform making a point about how his opponent made $$$ off of speeches to GS and was part of the so called "Wall Street criminal cabal" it seems slightly phony/hypocritical to then turn around and pick a GS partner who is a son of another GS partner to be your treasury secretary...i mean he could have picked a populist person, or heck even someone from JPM...

The only reason he was anti-Wall St was because they wouldn't lend him $$ anymore...

Old 12-02-2016, 01:22 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,456,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I've always wanted a job peeling grapes and fanning the wealthy.
don't forget cleaning the Scrooge McDuck vault/pile of money swimming pool....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies