Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 01:07 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
We're past due for recession.

The interest rates are still near 0, so when recession hits, we won't be able to drop rates much.
Agreed. I predicted before the election that the winner of the election was winning a poisoned prize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 01:15 PM

7,495 posts, read 5,745,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I'm trying to figure out exactly who this Economy that we are currently in, is bad for ?

Oh , I forgot it's the Obama haters !
If I was a lazy ass and accepted free housing, food stamps, medical etc etc I'd think the economy was wonderful too. Unfortunately I hate the idea of taking something for nothing. I have to work for what I provide my family. It has always shocked me how people can accept a life that their neighbor pays for. They should go out and get one of those great jobs your talking about.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:32 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Congress controls the purse strings. Congress and Obama doubled the federal debt."

I find this type of statement amusing.

Whenever we talk about Iraq and Afghanistan the left ALWAYS says "It is ALL W. Bush's fault"

When I bring up the top dems in the Congress not only SUPPORTED the bill giving W the authority but, the SML , a dem CO-SPNSORED the bill, we know how a SML aka harry reid, can KILL ANY BILL HE WANTS TO, as well as the House Minority Leader, a dem also co-sponsored the bill the left scream BUT, W made the final decision, he was responsible ALONE.

NOW, of course it is NOT Obama's alone but Congress as well.

You can't have it both ways.
No one is trying to have it both ways.

Someone can be simultaneously an amazing president and also do things with which I deeply disagree.

President Obama's installation of Janet Yellen in the Fed through the single most obstructionist Congress in history is one such example. That was a master class in politics, power, and management.

I also happen to staunchly disagree with his policy on whistleblowers, the use of drones, and the massive expansion of the security state. Although, in retrospect, I think the latter was inevitable.

No one thinks the war in Iraq was anything other than a godawful nightmare and a terrible decision.

Would I vote again for Obama? Absolutely, unless the Republicans do the impossible and trot out a candidate that doesn't sound like a madman spouting insanity.

By the by, the real problem with approving the war in Iraq was that we were already involved in Iraq. Setting aside the ridiculous lies by Cheney and Rumsfeld, our military was already being used there.

But to the point of the national debt, the blame is of course on the Bush administration for demanding tax cuts while we waged two wars abroad.

I don't want to hear anyone like you complain about the national debt, ever, unless you also admit that corporations should actually pay taxes. Until then, middle America is going to be stuck with the bill while the wealthiest citizens and major corporations pay nothing.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:00 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I agree with this. I'm in NYC and I'm attest to what is going on in insdie the city and outside. Liberal cities are the places to be right now for the moment. Cities like NYC, Boston, DC, San Francsico and LA are doing well especially if one is educated and graduated from a reputable college. The only negative thing about these liberal cities are increased amount of homelessness, sky high rents due to plenty of college educated persons moving in, as well as those looking for welfare benefits, lack of available jobs for uneducated or undereducated. Bubble ciites such NYC, San Francisco, and DC only represent a small portion of America populace, but on the flip side represent a big portion of the nations GDP. It looks like a small portion of people in America are reaping the rewards of wealth, while everyone else has stagnated or has left behind. Big cities like NYC, DC and SF should be lucky Bernie Sanders did not get elected. Every populist knows that big money is in big cities and needs to be redistributed equally.
I completely agree with this.

Right now, large liberal cities are the places to be as well as media darlings like Austin and Portland. Small metro areas are also humming along alright, but aren't experiencing near the prosperity that major cities and the media boomtowns are. Rural America has mostly been left out of the current economy and has seen little if any improvement since the recession.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:06 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
How bad is the economy that Trump is inheriting?
He is inheriting a economy which is doing well, so I hope he does not fumble the ball.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He is inheriting a economy which is doing well, so I hope he does not fumble the ball.
The last GOP President that did not have a recession on his watch was probably Eisenhower. The last one that had an economy that did moderately well over the course of their two terms was Reagan and that came crashing down shortly after he left office. I don't really have my hopes up.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:21 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
If I was a lazy ass and accepted free housing, food stamps, medical etc etc I'd think the economy was wonderful too. Unfortunately I hate the idea of taking something for nothing. I have to work for what I provide my family. It has always shocked me how people can accept a life that their neighbor pays for. They should go out and get one of those great jobs your talking about.
I work, I have a decent job. For me, this is the best I've seen it.

And there are many people who are on food stamps/free housing who work. It isn't just the lazy who are on them. Many use welfare because their own jobs don't pay enough.

Old 12-06-2016, 03:01 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The last GOP President that did not have a recession on his watch was probably Eisenhower.
Wow, you couldn't be more wrong, since there were three recessions during Eisenhower's 8 years as president.

Old 12-06-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Wow, you couldn't be more wrong, since there were three recessions during Eisenhower's 8 years as president.
You are right. I guess you may have to go back to Coolidge then.

Old 12-06-2016, 03:15 PM

1,529 posts, read 915,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Has the dollar been devalued recently? I must have missed that.
You have not missed anything. There are two types of devaluations. When prices and the cost of goods and services rise in the US it is an internal devaluation. The same Dollar buys less of whatever.

When the US Dollar drops in value versus other currencies, it is an external devaluation. One Dollar will buy less Euros, Swiss Francs, Pounds or Yen.

The former should be obvious when you go shopping, the latter when you travel to a foreign country or buy imported merchandise.

Now you should be able to determine whether or not there was a devaluation. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies