Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 02:43 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times

Advertisements

It cannot be, in my view, a good business decision to arbitrarily exclude certain customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 02:43 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I don't know why people have such a problem understanding being in the business of selling to the general public.

The man owns a marketing company. He does NOT sell to or service the "general public." He can choose to work for whoever he wants to work for, much like you can work for any company you want.

A marketing agency handles the marketing of a company or individual, getting its name out there to be seen by the public. The agency is free to choose any company or individual it wants to do marketing for. It's not selling TO the public. It's become a contract worker of sorts FOR a company or individual.

I would think an agency could decline to work for a company whose image it doesn't think jives with the agency's reputation or image.

See the difference?
No. There is no difference. His company does indeed sell services to the general public.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:44 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I didn't vote or support Trump, but I believe he has every right to do what he's doing.

Do you think he should have that right?
I do and if you're asking about wedding cakes, if I were gay and searching for a wedding cake, I would not want to buy from a conservative. I would expect they would try to do harm and as it is, I wouldn't want them to profit from my business. The state addressed the bakers because they saw it as discrimination. As a person with the ability to choose where I spend my money, I will continue to spend my money with businesses and people I agree with as is my right.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:48 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I have no problem with it, as well. His business. His choice. So let's adopt the same standards for bakeries, florists, photographers, caterers, etc.
I am wondering where the line is for when you are allowed to discriminate...

Old 12-05-2016, 02:53 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I think it depends on the state you're in and whether the AG wants to pursue it. Perhaps conservatives should live in red states where it might not be pursued. An individual can choose to boycott conservative companies and this man's company appears to be a company that works contractually. I think this is already happening but just not publicly.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:53 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No. There is no difference. His company does indeed sell services to the general public.
Ummm... my statement was not subjective. I was informing .... a marketing agency does not sell to the general public in its representation of companies. It picks and chooses who it wants to represent, based on a lot of factors, including payment, size of company, type of company, location, type of product.

It does handle the marketing of those companies to the general public, or parts of it, on behalf of the companies it represents. But that's not the marketing agency's business that the man is speaking of. It's speaking of the marketing agency's clients. Just like a modeling agency. Or a talent agency. Same thing. They represent certain individuals or companies of their choosing. They are choosing who they work FOR.

Just like you can choose who YOU want to work for.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:54 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Liberals are claiming the imaginary protected class of sexual orientation. However, creed IS an actual protected class.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:56 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
LOL. All I could think when listening to this Matthew Blanchfield blather on was "What a liberal douche".

Old 12-05-2016, 02:56 PM

9,881 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
The line is a protected versus an unprotected class. Neither people of particular political parties nor voters of particular candidates are a protected class and thus cannot claim they are being discriminated against.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:57 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I do and if you're asking about wedding cakes, if I were gay and searching for a wedding cake, I would not want to buy from a conservative. I would expect they would try to do harm and as it is, I wouldn't want them to profit from my business. The state addressed the bakers because they saw it as discrimination. As a person with the ability to choose where I spend my money, I will continue to spend my money with businesses and people I agree with as is my right.
Do you also avoid black neighborhoods for fear of being robbed?

I'm EXTREMELY conservative, and I'd bake a cake for a gay couple. I see no difference between a gay wedding and a straight wedding with the exception of no wedding gown. However, you dont know what might be worn at a lesbian wedding - tuxes, gowns, softball uniforms.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies