Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 02:58 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,707,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The line is a protected versus an unprotected class. Neither people of particular political parties nor voters of particular candidates are a protected class and thus cannot claim they are being discriminated against.
Thanks, that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 02:58 PM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Ummm... my statement was not subjective. I was informing .... a marketing agency does not sell to the general public in its representation of companies.
Yes, it does. Same as a bakery, photographer, florist, and caterer when they do contract work. Their professional reputations are at stake in whom they choose to contract to same as a marketing agency to their clients.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:00 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,579,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I do and if you're asking about wedding cakes, if I were gay and searching for a wedding cake, I would not want to buy from a conservative. I would expect they would try to do harm and as it is, I wouldn't want them to profit from my business. The state addressed the bakers because they saw it as discrimination. As a person with the ability to choose where I spend my money, I will continue to spend my money with businesses and people I agree with as is my right.
There's a difference between SELLING to the "general public" and BUYING or SHOPPING at stores you want.

When you SELL to the "general public," the commerce laws come into play. That states simply that you cannot discriminate who among the general public you deem to be good enough to sell to. You can understand why, if you think about it. It's common sense. (Although the business has the right to dictate certain policies that apply to all, like wearing shoes or shirts.)

When you shop, you are free to shop anywhere you want. The commerce laws do not cover shopping habits of the citizens.

A marketing agency doesn't sell to the general public. It selects who it will represent, like a modeling or talent agency will. It is in essence choosing who it will work FOR (as opposed to selling TO). The agency gets hired BY a company or person to represent it.

Just like you can choose who to work FOR.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:01 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I don't agree with him and think he should give Trump a chance... but I think he handled himself pretty well.

I didn't think it was legal to discriminate when doing business. He said it was legal. What am I missing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X77K_zeZUu4
Political ideology is not a protected class. Cannot imagine this coming up in a polite business convo.

Sounds to me like the guy got his 15 minutes of fame and was adapt at not allowing the interviewer put words in his mouth.

Shrug.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Do you also avoid black neighborhoods for fear of being robbed?

I'm EXTREMELY conservative, and I'd bake a cake for a gay couple. I see no difference between a gay wedding and a straight wedding with the exception of no wedding gown. However, you dont know what might be worn at a lesbian wedding - tuxes, gowns, softball uniforms.....
I'm sure you would support anyone's right to do business with those they choose to. During this election we learned more about businesses to frequent or avoid. This man is going public and Carlson gave him the platform to do it. From my perspective, I don't want to see my money profit a business I don't agree with vs. one I do. It's a little like buying local, in that I'm happy to see certain businesses prosper. People probably already do this without admitting it so not a big deal.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:03 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
All non-essential companies should have the right to decide with whom they do business.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Political ideology is not a protected class. Cannot imagine this coming up in a polite business convo.

Sounds to me like the guy got his 15 minutes of fame and was adapt at not allowing the interviewer put words in his mouth.

Shrug.
Perfectly stated. Carlson tried and the guy handled it well.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:06 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
A lot of owners don't support Trump because a lot of their workers are Mexicans or immigrants that are threatening to leaving if the business supports Trump.

We'll see many of these cases coming out from all kinds of businesses that will refuse hire or business.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:08 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
Quote:
I'm sure you would support anyone's right to do business with those they choose to. During this election we learned more about businesses to frequent or avoid. This man is going public and Carlson gave him the platform to do it. From my perspective, I don't want to see my money profit a business I don't agree with vs. one I do. It's a little like buying local, in that I'm happy to see certain businesses prosper. People probably already do this without admitting it so not a big deal.
Agreed.

I'd like to see signs telling me which business owners hate blacks, Mexicans, Asians, gays, Jews, whites, Hindus, etc. It would give me the ability to know those are not people I want to give my money.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:08 PM

45,573 posts, read 27,164,944 times
Quote:
Perfectly stated. Carlson tried and the guy handled it well.
Carlson usually shuts down guests with differing viewpoints, but this guy was up to the challenge.

I assume the more Carlson has these types of interviews, the more prepared the opposition will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies