Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 07:31 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,509,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
This is going to fail, not because people wont use it, but because the second wifi goes down, people will either walk out with their stuff "freely" or leave it and never come back because of the inconvenience.
LOL! If they have an oz of technical sense, which I don't doubt they do, the only way to shut down their WiFi is sending in a shock wave of EMP. Their WiFi may still function just fine even if you blow their store.

That's called redundancy and high availability. 101 in the IT world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 07:34 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,509,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
We have seen them start too move into grocery delivery, but now it looks like they are going to rollout some very advanced grocery outlets to compete directly.
https://youtu.be/rTnDDOgk2rI
Time to jack up the minimum wage to $150/hour!!!

Old 12-06-2016, 08:23 AM

15,590 posts, read 10,327,145 times
I don't understand how the grocery business could be profitable for Amazon. Grocery stores have very thin profit margins, 1-2%.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:38 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,578,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
This is going to fail, not because people wont use it, but because the second wifi goes down, people will either walk out with their stuff "freely" or leave it and never come back because of the inconvenience.
Back when, there was almost universal predictions that an online bookstore would not survive.

Back when, no shortage of people who predicted one- click shopping would never be successful.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:40 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,480,308 times
Good for Amazon.

Competition is always good.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:13 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,257,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Back when, there was almost universal predictions that an online bookstore would not survive.
Yep, I worked for Follett (college bookstores) in the 90s, and confidence was high that this whole individuals ordering books thing was going to fizzle out.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:26 AM

3,163 posts, read 2,087,729 times
Am I in the minority of people who likes to actually select produce and meat with my own hands and eyes. Is this the reason why so many people are obese these days. Do people actually care what goes into their mouth. I'm all for getting paper towels and toothpaste online. But something about things such as food, and even clothing where I would actually like to see the cut, finish , and weight of fabric. Call me old fashioned.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:33 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,257,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Am I in the minority of people who likes to actually select produce and meat with my own hands and eyes...
Did you listen to the video? Amazon wants to let you do all that but then leave the store without taking a detour at a long checkout line.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:34 AM

Imagine the possibilities.

Amazon will have a historical database of your purchases. It predicts when you will likely run out of TP and prompt you to stock up, given Charmin is on sale. Too tired to cook? Here's a list of fully- cooked fresh dinner options curated to your taste that are available, today. How about a nice salad with organic veggies to accompany your meal? Here's the nutritional value of your meal. Need a floured less chocolate cake to end your meal. May we recommend a wine or two?

Here are recipes for that ground beef you just purchased. Do you need chile powder or buns?
Kiddo's 5th birthday is next week. Let's plan a memorable family event together, right now.

The possibilities for up selling are endless.

There is no shortage of urban/ urban- suburban demographic markets where this concept will take off. Despite the hyperbole and doom and gloom projected in this forum by some posters, there is no shortage of well educated, gainfully employed people with ample disposable income in the US who desperately seek convenience and are not particularily sensitive to price.

As a kid, grocers used to employ small armies of unionized workers who would a fix price stickers on every single item sold. Someone weighed and your fruit and vegetables in the fresh produce department. Check out ladies would know prices, by site. These workers had full benefits and pensions.

Over the years, technology substitution eliminated tens of thousands of these jobs. Beyond the tenured workers, everyone else is part time, near Minimum Wage. If unionized, the net wage, after Union Dues, is often less than Minimum Wage. Big box grocers seek to hire developmentally challenged workers for tax benefits.

Then there's the always cool Costco. Many shop there just to see what's new, seasonal, on promo and sample stuff they might never otherwise consider. Costco is the largest wine retailer in the US and has the most powerful buyer position in the US. Most stores have in house experts with thousands of private clients who buy by the case, based on recommendations.

The face of retail grocer has and continues to evolve.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Am I in the minority of people who likes to actually select produce and meat with my own hands and eyes. Is this the reason why so many people are obese these days. Do people actually care what goes into their mouth. I'm all for getting paper towels and toothpaste online. But something about things such as food, and even clothing where I would actually like to see the cut, finish , and weight of fabric. Call me old fashioned.
The Amazon Go strategy enables the consumer to pick and choose in a brick and mortar store and pay for it without waiting in the check out line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies