Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 09:49 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
A brand new 747 is $350 million. Let's say you double it for mods needed for POTUS stuff and then add $500 million for the super secret electronics. That takes you to $1.2 billion.

Please break down the costs for us on how a $350 million plane jumps to $4 billion Mr Wizard.

Hmmm....a brand spankin' new aircraft carrier with all the bells and whistles is $13bn.

Three planes or one new aircraft carrier?

Yeah, cancelling the 747 is the wise thing to do.

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/meet-t...ft-carrier/11/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 09:55 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
For the reasons you stated, once inaugurated he won't be able to fly his own jet.
Then, with the numbers of people who hate him, he should make presidential security a top priority.

I wonder who over at Boeing pissed him off? You know this is all about his personal vendettas, right?

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
It might be for more than 1 plane. Usually there is an exact twin available at all times, I am pretty sure.

How the heck to do you think I am supposed to know the specs of Air Force One? this stuff requires clearances and nobody can discuss outside of their secure protocols.
It may also require its own secure assembly line and entail the cost of vetting every worker involved with that plane.

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Those $50,000 staplers and $1,000,000 pencils must have become victims of inflation. It's a croc of OT and OB when it comes to government contracts. Sorry our 1 year $300,000 project is now 3 years and $3,000,000. If that happened in business someone would be fired and possibly a business or two would fail.

What I really love is how those who are against Trump are calling foul at him for his tweet instead of putting scrutiny on Boeing for the exorbitant costs that are what I would consider very far "out of scope".
...and in the same breath they whine nonstop about the $7 million in tax breaks for carrier

Old 12-06-2016, 09:56 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
The way these things work, the government purchasing office, releases a set of specifications, requirements and capabilities to private industry that the new aircraft must meet and then also requires the company to build the plane according to the highest MilSpec possible, which is the gold standard, MilSpec 9868A. this is the highest standard of construction and individual parts, Quality Assurance testing possible. It was implemented after the USS Scorpion was sunk. All submarines, and additionally, any aircraft or vehicular items carrying the top leaders of the nation are built or retrofitted to these standards.
The cost of design and build are, at a minimum, 10 times the cost of normal standards.

Trump is just grandstanding with a cheap, parlour trick, announcement and you guy's are sucking it up as usual.
Yup.

And, I really do think that he's got a bone to pick with someone over at Boeing. I'd love to know who.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:57 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Boeing stock took a $1.5 billion dollar hit because of Trumps comments.

I know he likes to Tweet, but darn it man. If you don't like the price, negotiate it, but what's the point of hurting them?

Feckless!

Old 12-06-2016, 09:59 AM

45,580 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
What's he going to do, outsource it to another country that has cheaper labor(and give them top secret specs for how the US president is protected and give secrets to foreign companies on how the US president communicates technically from the air)?

Or change the specs of the plane to where it's not technically advanced enough to protect the president?

Don't they build 2 planes Air Force One planes at a time? I think they always have a spare, right? Is the price for 2 planes, a main plane and spare that is built to same specs?
Sort of like the black Obama jobs tour bus that was made in Canada...

Old 12-06-2016, 10:01 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
As one who has his own plane, he should know what the reasonable cost should be.
People don't understand how this things work. It's not a bid for the lowest price airplane. The problem is with the aircraft definitions and requirements. That is years of work by a team of experts. To reduce cost, the definitions should be revised and that cannot be done shooting from the hip.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:02 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,975,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
The way these things work, the government purchasing office, releases a set of specifications, requirements and capabilities to private industry that the new aircraft must meet and then also requires the company to build the plane according to the highest MilSpec possible, which is the gold standard, MilSpec 9868A. this is the highest standard of construction and individual parts, Quality Assurance testing possible. It was implemented after the USS Scorpion was sunk. All submarines, and additionally, any aircraft or vehicular items carrying the top leaders of the nation are built or retrofitted to these standards.
The cost of design and build are, at a minimum, 10 times the cost of normal standards.

Trump is just grandstanding with a cheap, parlour trick, announcement and you guy's are sucking it up as usual.
So when Obama wanted to put off upgrades to Marine 1 and 2 in 2009, that was just a"cheap parlour trick" too, right?

Old 12-06-2016, 10:02 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Boeing stock took a $1.5 billion dollar hit because of Trumps comments.

I know he likes to Tweet, but darn it man. If you don't like the price, negotiate it, but what's the point of hurting them?

Feckless!
Hey, why dont we tell Boeing we will pay $50 billion for the plane so the stock jumps up?

I think you're on to something. Quick pay all government contractors five times what things should cost so we can see a stock market rally.

Exactly who is the party of big corporations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies