Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 11:13 PM

1,850 posts, read 819,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
California as a state is doing incredibly well, around 5% unemployment, growth, etc.
I know, everyone always says what a great state it is as they leave it. LMAO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 11:16 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,701,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
I know, everyone always says what a great state it is as they leave it. LMAO
And others move in the replace those that leave. I'm not selling California but I go there regularly for work trips and the state would be the envy of any red state including Texas. Texas may have a lower cost of living but the trade off is having to live in Texas.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
And others move in the replace those that leave. I'm not selling California but I go there regularly for work trips and the state would be the envy of any red state including Texas. Texas may have a lower cost of living but the trade off is having to live in Texas.
No, they don't. California loses people continuously. And they lose them to Texas, the red state that supposedly envies them according to you. This isn't "make up stories that make you feel good day."

Old 12-09-2016, 11:19 PM

32,053 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The scenario you paint isn't that simple, and everyone beyond the "fresh off the boat" stage knows that. The problem is the millions of Special Snowflakes with their worthless degrees ("participation trophies" for supposed "adults") who've been led to expect $20/hr, and to go on SSI disability when the plan fails to materialize.

That is what the millions of people of ordinary means in the "flyover America" you spit upon understand -- and turned out to defend on November 8.

And the world has required a global policeman since the end of feudalism; that role was abdicated by Great Britain in favor of her American and Canadian legatees after World War II. The Nazis and Marxists have been consigned to history's trashcan, and ISIS is next in line. It's the productivity of the handful of mature, tested pluralistic societies that makes it possible to project defensive strength, usually in American hands, that allows Europe to enjoy relative security (though their desire for cheap Middle Eastern labor is undercutting that).

The system is far removed from the anarcho-capitalist idyll of small tradesmen in small villages that the dreamers envision; but judging from the 100 million early graves dug in Europe in the first half of the Twentieth Century -- it's better than anything that came before.

If you can propose anything that doesn't lead to the over-centralization of state power that produced both Hitler and Stalin, I'll be waiting for your answer; and I expect to be waiting for a long time.
No the problem is you getting old and millennials having to take care of you. Are you going to have health insurance or do they have to pay for you. Sorry, if you called me a snowflake I would flip you off and tell you to fend for yourself.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No the problem is you getting old and millennials having to take care of you. Are you going to have health insurance or do they have to pay for you. Sorry, if you called me a snowflake I would flip you off and tell you to fend for yourself.
Sort of odd, since liberals were the ones who enacted the policy that the young had to pay for the old and then rode it into the ground for votes for about 60 years. And then now the young liberals are all angry because they demand that the old have to pay for the young and are planning to ride that into the ground for votes.

That's liberalism.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:30 PM

32,053 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
Sort of odd, since liberals were the ones who enacted the policy that the young had to pay for the old and then rode it into the ground for votes for about 60 years. And then now the young liberals are all angry because they demand that the old have to pay for the young and are planning to ride that into the ground for votes.

That's liberalism.
No, each genetratiojn

Who is angry?

Old 12-10-2016, 12:18 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,324,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
Naw, I think Wisconsin retook them as the dairy state, and the milk from their cows suck so Wisconsin I think is selling more milk again across the country.

Brazil actually exports the most poultry and beef across the world I think. The USA I believe is second.
California became more of a "dairy" state because of a growing local demand for dairy products as the population expanded; Wisconsin, OTOH, diverts more of its output to what is called "manufacturing milk" (I. E: cheese), and a greater portion of that output still originates on smaller. family-centered farms.

California farms are usually larger and depend more upon hired labor. Interestingly, a growing portion of dairy labor everywhere in the U. S. is Latino; the closer connection to the land is apparently viewed as a positive by a lot of Latino immigrants.

And low fat content is now recognized as a positive in the present-day dairy industry; hence the replacement of "golden Guernsey" cattle by Holsteins, which produce somewhat "leaner" milk.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 12-10-2016 at 12:27 AM..

Old 12-10-2016, 12:20 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,619,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Not everyone there is making 7.25 but 7.25 goes a lot further there then even $15 would in manhattan or LA or San Francisco .
Yes, I'll admit two people, who work at a pizza restaurant in Oklahoma, can afford to live in a two bedroom house in a decent part of town with rent being $700 a month.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:42 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,327,898 times
Quote:
Have you ever been to Texas?

My company sets up a booth every year at south by southwest in austin and that whole area is amazing. Amazing tech scene, great music, food and nightlife with tons of women in austin and Austin is very walkable, one of the coolest cities I have visited in the states. We always take a few days of after sxsw in austin to do stuff like tour the wine country and camp in the hill country or a national park. Incredibly beautiful state, big open spaces and lots of open land, nice dark skies without light pollution for my telescope, gorgeous state .

There is a reason so many people and professionals are moving to texas. I would love to have a place with horses, place to garden, nice warm winters and alot of space and a pool would be perfect. We have better beaches in florida but much better stem and tech wages in texas.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:03 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,327,898 times
Quote:
I would be very fine with that. Very fine indeed. And if we could determine a calculation where each state gave the exact same percentage and we didn't have blue states funding red states, that would be even better.

DO IT. Let blue states keep their money within blue states and we'll let them know if there's anything they have that we want to buy. But they'll be competing with the rest of the world so they should bid carefully.
Blue states funding red states? Which states provide most of the national resources and energy? Most of the military?

Most "blue" states arent even blue when you really look at geography , and alot of the worst poverty in red states are in blue counties? Would the "blue" states adopt their fellow blue areas in the black belt south and hispanic southwest? "Blue" america is a picture of economic and racial hypocrisy

Most so called "blue" states are just a few cities and areas surrounded by red counties, like Washington state, Oregon, Northern california? One of the most viable separatist movements in America is in northern California and Oregon with the Jefferson separatist movement

Last edited by floridanative10; 12-10-2016 at 01:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies