Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 01:58 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,430,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Well, you've got some good advice here, I admit. However how our pres-elect behaved on the campaign trail has carried over into the Oval Office, and you have to think about that too. His adolescent behavior may possibly be dismissed by those curious as to how he will perform as president, but it may not be dismissed by smart and calculating heads of state in other parts of the world. It didn't take much to get us into WWI, remember? Do you know what started that?
Well..I don't remember, Not quite that old!

But, briefly...I think you may be asking two different questions...what started WWI..is bit too complex to really address here--rising German hegemony prompting a British Empire push-back--coupled with Long-term European Cultural animosities--just a few of the elements. When Franz Ferdinand was assassinated..that was just the starting gun..everyone knew war was coming..and had been planning for it.

What got US in it...well....The sinking of the Lusitania and the Zimmerman telegram are usually cited--but it probably had more to do with our seeing the world being carved up..and wanting a piece of the action, than anything--The Ottoman Empire was cracking up..and all that oil... BTW, its been pretty well established that the Lusitania was carrying munitions for Britain..thus she was a legit target.

Anywho..off topic..my bad.

Trust in the system...no matter the results of a Trump Presidency..sheer inertia will keep damage to a minimum.

..And hey..he just might be a good President--morals and ethics are not prerequisites--in fact, they may get in the way.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:04 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,571,451 times
Not a fan of the Cheeto but the alternative was worse I held my nose and am hopinf for the best

Old 12-10-2016, 05:52 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,677,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
Over the years I keep reading the term "registered democrat" or "registered republican"...what even does that mean ?

I've voted all my life, and I've never had to "register" as anything. I show up, they give me a ballot, and I vote. If it's primary and you need to vote for only one party, they tell you to only vote on one side of the ballot or the other and not to cross over party lines...but no one has ever asked me to "register" for anything or declare which side of the ballot I intend to use.

Where in the voting process do you need to "register" and declare allegiance to a freaking political party ? I hate the entire concept to it's very core. I have voted across the political spectrum for most of my adult life, and the thought of pledging allegiance (I gather that must be why you would register for one or the other) sounds crazy stupid to me.....and quite honestly, it probably most of our problem in politics. We refuse to see things from any other vantage point or angle other than from our "registered" point of view.

Can someone explain this "registration" process I keep hearing about ?
Some states require that you select either republican, democrat, or independent/nonaffiliated (or something to that effect) when filling out the voter registration form. We moved from TN in 2015, and in TN I don't remember having to choose, but having to choose which ballot to take if voting in a primary. In other states, like NY and Florida, you have to choose the party when registering or you can't vote for that party during the primary. That is why trump's own adult children couldn't vote in the NY primary for him - they didn't realize that they couldn't be democrats and vote for dad.

Thus, the reason why people say they are 'registered republican' etc., is because they had to make a choice while registering to vote. Viola'!

Old 12-10-2016, 06:46 PM

29,684 posts, read 24,726,272 times
In many respects, Trump is a Democrat masquerading as a Republican. I found some of his personal traits and characteristics to be kind of annoying. Like his rudeness and arrogance. But, I know many highly productive and hard working people who display the same foul attitude and behavior. I have come to respect these people for their hard work, perseverance, and contribution. I will give Trump the opportunity to earn my respect just the same. I know he has earned respect from some Carrier and US Steel workers who can now feel secure about the prospects of keeping their jobs.

I'm thankful that Trump is shaping up to be a working class hero. A man of the people. And a man who seeks to remove the shackles holding back business in this country. You won't need a communist organizer when the American economy is booming again.

Oh ya, and I am so glad $hillery didn't win. I would have had to leave the country at that point, sorry to say.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:55 PM

4,646 posts, read 4,517,821 times
I was a registered Republican for over 20 years, then switched to Independent after Trump clinched the nomination. Still voted for some local R's in this election after they disavowed any support for Trump.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:18 PM

5,076 posts, read 2,283,787 times
I wasn't happy about voting for Trump but a Republican really needed to win this election. First, for the sake of the Supreme Court. Second, to give the Democrats a much-needed smack upside the head. These people read waaaaay too much into Obama winning two elections and needed to be brought back to reality.

Old 12-05-2022, 05:26 PM

25,365 posts, read 12,486,989 times
I'm a registered Republican, but I'm really a Conservative-Libertarian hybrid..not a Republican at all.

I do not favor Trump in the 24 election, I favor DeSantis.

Trump signed off on Trillions of spending, so he lost me right there.

I'll only vote for Trump if he wins the nomination...I'm not voting for any Lib.

Old 12-05-2022, 05:55 PM

1,911 posts, read 542,769 times
Anyone who condones and supports the chaos of the present administration is not capable of intelligent political discussion. And No, I will not vote for Trump in the primaries.

Old 12-05-2022, 06:22 PM

7,087 posts, read 4,693,732 times
How awful.
The OP RiverBird is an eternal member.
Let her Rest In Peace and shut this thread down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies