Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 08:01 PM

575 posts, read 298,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
What was your point here? If it was warning, it's a little late, and if it's a prediction, I hope you are wrong.
Invest accordingly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 08:05 PM

1,362 posts, read 873,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
More fear mongering by Dems

Face it, you lost the election

Time to get over it
This is an exceptionally tiresome response. I've read it about a hundred times today. The election wasn't a single sports event. The cabinet is still taking shape and the policies of this administration are only just beginning to be revealed. If you don't want to talk about it, exit the forum.

Face it. This is a forum where ideas are discussed. Time to get over it.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:27 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I know that it took a Democratic president (FDR) to end the depression that developed under the watch of the GOP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Actually it took WWII to end it.
Everyone seems to forget that part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
More fear mongering by Dems
Nothing but. That's all they've got. Sad isn't it?

Old 12-10-2016, 08:36 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Actually it was 2006. When the Dems won the House & Senate, they took us into a depression.
OP fell for some fake history.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-11-2016 at 02:02 PM..

Old 12-11-2016, 06:36 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
I know that it took a Democratic president (FDR) to end the depression that developed under the watch of the GOP.

Wrong again!

You are nothing if not consistent.

FDR's economic reforms NEVER worked.

The New Deal big government make-work Keynesian theoretical garbage economics made a bad recession into a depression that caused double-digit unemployment to last until after the draft was reinstated in 1940 and we entered WWII.

The draft, and the war that followed, removed enough healthy young men from the workforce to finally lower the unemployment rate to pre-depression levels in 1942.

By the time the war was over, enough healthy young men in Europe, Asia and elsewhere had been permanently removed from the workforce along with the factories where they may have worked that US exports remained the envy of the world for several decades after the war ended.

In fact, I would say WWII was FDR's only truly successful job program.

“We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. And I have just one interest, and if I am wrong…somebody else can have my job. I want to see this country prosperous. I want to see people get a job. I want to see people get enough to eat. We have never made good on our promises…I say after eight years of this administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started…And an enormous debt to boot!â€

~ Henry Morgenthau

As for Republicans being in control, when Republicans control both houses of Congress, running deficits decline significantly or the annual federal budget is in balance.

The job market also improves during these periods of Republican control as unemployment decreases or the nation is at full employment.

On the four occasions since 1946 when Republicans controlled both houses, their record is consistent and the party of the president, at least as these two areas of economic performance are concerned, appears to be irrelevant.

108th-109th Congress......Bush Jr.(R) Unemployment 6.0% to 4.6%, Deficit $377 Bn 2003, Deficit $248 Bn 2006

104th-106th Congress......Clinton (D) Unemployment 5.6% to 4.0%, Deficit $164 Bn 1995, Surplus $236 Bn 2000

80th Congress.................Truman (D) Unemployment 3.9% to 3.8%, Deficit $15.9 Bn 1946, Surplus $4 Bn 1947

So far, since Republicans gained control of both houses in the 2010 midterm, deficits, $1299 Bn in 2011, have decreased to $439 Bn in 2015.

Unemployment has declined from 9.2% in January 2011 to 4.6% in November of 2016.

Seems Republicans are as consistently right as you are consistently wrong.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:59 AM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
What color is the sky in your world?
Republican....reality.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:02 AM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
So Bush had absolutely nothing to do with it?

And by the way, Dems controlled the senate by only 1 vote.
The Congress passes the bills and the President can either sing or not sign the bills. If George Bush signed the budget passed by Harry & Nancy in 2007-2008, he would be due for some criticism. By the way, I'm no fan of the job George Bush did...he should have gridlocked the government.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:56 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
This is an exceptionally tiresome response. I've read it about a hundred times today. The election wasn't a single sports event. The cabinet is still taking shape and the policies of this administration are only just beginning to be revealed. If you don't want to talk about it, exit the forum.

Face it. This is a forum where ideas are discussed. Time to get over it.

And you'll continue to hear it again and again and again.

You lost the election
You lost the election
You lost the election

Why? Because you lost the election!

need to hear it again?

Yeah, YOU LOST THE ELECTION.

I'll say it until it sticks in your head.

As long as you continue to masquerade these ridiculous anecdotes of what Hillary "won" (she won nothing btw), conspiratorial false equivalencies curried with fear mongering and off the rail hypotheticals all in an effort to deligitmaize Trump's presidency (and cover up the fact that you were WRONG), some of us are going to call it for what it is and not entertain these sort of charades. We've been entertaining this crap for the past 2 weeks on this forum, and I've begun to respond to each and everyone of them in the same manner by reminding everyone that she lost the election.

If you want a serious discussion, get specific about his appointments, and what policies you think will be implemented and what effect you think they will have in this country.

If you want to talk policy, then talk policy, but enough with the "Hillary ate more hot dogs" threads.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:59 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
many of FDRs policies actually extended the depression.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:08 AM

37,952 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
lol You don't know much about history then. The worst economic times in our history was prolonged by FDRs policies. You don't discuss policy when it's always about policy. Very telling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies