Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 08:22 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
It is an invented holiday and should have no place in society. I don't even know any black people who celebrate it.
In that case, neither should other holidays. What makes Kwanzaa "invented" and most other holidays "not invented"?

Old 12-13-2016, 08:27 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Back in the 80's, I'd hear about Kwanzaa fairly often. It wasn't unusual for it to be referenced on television and to see it in the greeting cards section.

I bet it's been several years since the last time I've heard the word Kwanzaa verbalized or have seen it referenced.

Has it fallen out with black people or has the media lost interest in it?
IMO it is actually much more popular than it was in the 80s.

I am not religious but usually celebrate Christmas out of custom. My spouse is religious but chooses not to celebrate Christmas due to its focus on materialism and instead he celebrates Kwanzaa.

I always go to at least once big Kwanzaa event in the past few years.

But I will note that it is not something that I would celebrate if it were not for my spouse. But through going to events, I have discovered that a large amount of black Americans will attend a Kwanzaa event and especially so in majority black cities. I usually go to Detroit for Kwanzaa events (I live in NW OH and we do have some but they are not as good as the ones in Detroit IMO). I lived in metro Atlanta previously and have gone to a lot of Kwanzaa celebrations there.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:28 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
I honestly don't know a single African or AA, who celebrate Kwanzaa. I am under the guis Ethan the people who started it are black nationalists and pan-Africans and I hate any sort of
racial nationalism and dislike nationalism in general, because I like diverse settings (religiously, ethnically, racially etc.)

Old 12-13-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
It is an invented holiday and should have no place in society. I don't even know any black people who celebrate it.
All holidays are invented.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:30 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
IMO it is actually much more popular than it was in the 80s.

I am not religious but usually celebrate Christmas out of custom. My spouse is religious but chooses not to celebrate Christmas due to its focus on materialism and instead he celebrates Kwanzaa.

I always go to at least once big Kwanzaa event in the past few years.

But I will note that it is not something that I would celebrate if it were not for my spouse. But through going to events, I have discovered that a large amount of black Americans will attend a Kwanzaa event and especially so in majority black cities. I usually go to Detroit for Kwanzaa events (I live in NW OH and we do have some but they are not as good as the ones in Detroit IMO). I lived in metro Atlanta previously and have gone to a lot of Kwanzaa celebrations there.

Did you attend an Afrocentric school K-12? The few ones that adherents I've met tend to be products of Afrocentric education. I attend the occasional Kwanzaa festival, but primarily as a community event, not because I actually observe the holiday.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I honestly don't know a single African or AA, who celebrate Kwanzaa. I am under the guis Ethan the people who started it are black nationalists and pan-Africans and I hate any sort of
racial nationalism and dislike nationalism in general, because I like diverse settings (religiously, ethnically, racially etc.)
This is also very true in regards to the bold. The reason why I believe it is growing is that the ideas of black nationalism are growing in America. My spouse is a pseudo-black nationalist person IMO. I also do not like race nationalism because it can easily turn into racism and xenophobia, but I don't have a problem with cultural celebrations that lack diversity, that is the point really of cultural celebrations.

On Kwanzaa itself, I agree with another poster that it has no bearing on the actual culture of West Africans of which black Americans are descended, but I do like that it has a positive message and doesn't put a negative spin on "African-ness."

The celebrations are always neutral that I have attended and not overly political (FWIW in Atlanta they were usually sponsored by some politician). Most of the celebrations I have attended have been at black history museums or cultural centers and they always have some great drumming and dancing, they are venues for vendors to sell good related to black American history, art, fashion, food, etc. So they do not have any sort of nationalist tone though the holiday itself still garners support IMO from those who are much more black nationalist minded and pan African minded.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:35 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
The guy who invented it was part of the Black Power movement in the 1960s. He was also a professor. Maulana Karenga. I don't think most people know where it originated. I'm not into the racial nationalism either.

I do have a distrust for those who feel it necessary to blindly criticize Kwanzaa. I'm not into Kwanzaa. Not interested in it. I do considered that there are many who will hate on anything having to do with Black Americans. Kwanzaa dying out doesn't bother me. It is the ignorant that I worry about.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:36 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The guy who invented it was part of the Black Power movement in the 1960s. He was also a professor. Maulana Karenga. I don't think most people know where it originated. I'm not into the racial nationalism either.

I do have a distrust for those who feel it necessary to blindly criticize Kwanzaa. I'm not into Kwanzaa. Not interested in it. I do considered that there are many who will hate on anything having to do with Black Americans. Kwanzaa dying out doesn't bother me. It is the ignorant that I worry about.
I would like to have this conversation, but fear this is not the place.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Did you attend an Afrocentric school K-12? The few ones that adherents I've met tend to be products of Afrocentric education. I attend the occasional Kwanzaa festival, but primarily as a community event, not because I actually observe the holiday.
No. I do not "believe" in Afrocentric education. I believe in classical holistic education.

I have attended Kwanzaa celebrations at churches, museums, and major universities before and have done the same as you in regards to the bold. I have noticed that more and more people come to the festivals and many attend every day of Kwanzaa.

My spouse also did not attend an Afrocentric school and he is the one who decided he wanted to celebrate Kwanzaa at home because of his dislike for Christmas. We both went to traditional public schools.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:39 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,302,911 times
Didn't it come around the advent of PC in America?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies