Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2016, 12:28 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
Really? I failed to read that in The Constitution or any federal legislation. The latest Pew research found that 70.6% of Americans identified as Christian. That's certainly a majority, but the 30% of people who aren't Christian in this country aren't exactly a small group of people.

Regardless, it wouldn't matter if 99% of Americans identified as Christian, or if 99% identified as Muslim. Religion has no place in the governance of this nation.
Not true.

Congress opens with a prayer. The Supreme Court has religious symbols. So does our currency.

The Constitution only says that there cannot be an official national church, such as what they have in Denmark or Sweden.

America has always been a Christian nation, and that's the way it should stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 05:18 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Hey, as long as everyone will allow other religious references to be posted in the school! Oh, but, how do you account for people who don't believe in a god? Which biblical reference was it?
Majority rules.

Freedom of speech.

I could list more.

Old 12-16-2016, 05:47 AM

Quote:
“The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.”

– John Adams

"Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between church and State."

-Thomas Jefferson

"Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law."

-Thomas Jefferson

"The civil Government, though bereft of everything like an associated hierarchy, possesses the requisite stability, and performs its functions with complete success, whilst the number, the industry, and the morality of the priesthood, and the devotion of the people, have been manifestly increased by the total separation of the church from the State."

-James Madison

Those are just a few...
You Are attempting to divert the issue.

"Due To Biblical Reference;"

"
founded on the Christian religion.”

What is THE Christian religion?

I have heard of Catholics, Baptists, Methodists etc. but, NEVER "the Christian religion"

The Bible is NOT ALL about Christ.

Have you ever heard of the Old testament?.

"thus building a wall of separation between church and State."

-Thomas Jefferson"

This is EXACTLY what I was talking about in my post.

It has NOTHING to do with the FEDERAL government.

It was a STATE issue.

Also keep in mind not every issue was agreed upon 100% by everybody.

The ALL did come to compromises which might be why there is no mention of "separation of Church and State" in any of the voted on documents.

I note you did NOT comment on my stating that 1 of the FIRST things the new Congress did was to appoint a minister to say a prayer before the opening of EVERY session of Congress.

How does this fit into your narrative?

How does this fit with you "separation of Church and State"

How does the multiple religious pictures and statues IN THE CAPITOL building fit into, "separation of church and state if they were so against mixing the 2?

How about "Endowed by our Creator"?

Hoe does that fit into "separation of Church and State"?

Did you know that the capitol building ITSELF held Sunday religious services for over 7 years?

And that Adams, Jefferson and many other of the Founding Fathers attended?

You might want to view this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeIMmXJets0

They are LOTS of examples I can give.

More then you can.

Old 12-16-2016, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Yeah, she can practice that at her home, in her car, on her property. She cannot do so in a public school.
Then why is burning the American Flag OK on public property?

Those in favor of that action claim "freedom of EXPRESSION" when the Constitution does NOT mention "expression" at all.

It SPECIFICALLY says "Speech"

If the "expression" of ones speech allows burning the flag on PUBLIC property, then religious items should NOT be banned using the same reasoning.

Either we have "freedom of expression" or we do not!

Old 12-16-2016, 06:04 AM

184 posts, read 143,998 times
Local news just indicated the nurse's aide is allowed to put it back up, so long as she notes that it's her belief by putting her name on it. Seems like a fair compromise to me.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:05 AM

As I said, America is a Christian nation.

When that is forgotten, America will be destroyed.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:13 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,292,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Then why is burning the American Flag OK on public property?

Those in favor of that action claim "freedom of EXPRESSION" when the Constitution does NOT mention "expression" at all.

It SPECIFICALLY says "Speech"

If the "expression" of ones speech allows burning the flag on PUBLIC property, then religious items should NOT be banned using the same reasoning.

Either we have "freedom of expression" or we do not!
Burning the flag on public property is okay if it is undertaken by a private citizen acting outside of their official capacity. If a teacher or government employee or official burned a flag on public property while on the job I imagine they would lose their job. If they did it outside of work as a private citizen it should be protected as free speech. See the difference?

Old 12-16-2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Majority rules.

Freedom of speech.

I could list more.
"Majority rules" does not mean the majority gets to trample all over the rights of the minority. Is that the kind of country you would like to live in? Iran and Saudi Arabia are shining beacons of this philosophy, I'm sure they are great places to live.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Not true.

Congress opens with a prayer. The Supreme Court has religious symbols. So does our currency.

The Constitution only says that there cannot be an official national church, such as what they have in Denmark or Sweden.

America has always been a Christian nation, and that's the way it should stay.
Just because something exists doesn't make it okay. It isn't the topic of this post, but I do have a problem with the things you mention. I actually take a sharpie to most of the paper money I get and draw a black line over "In God We Trust". Luckily I use electronic payment most of the time so this isn't a big chore.

The Christian nation narrative is tired and false. Yes we have always had a majority of Christians, but the government is set up to be agnostic towards religion. And to say the founding fathers were all Christians is completely false. Many of them were deists, a fact many religious folks like to ignore.

It's becoming a bigger issue because demographics are changing and many Christians don't like their place of privilege being challenged.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
"Majority rules" does not mean the majority gets to trample all over the rights of the minority. Is that the kind of country you would like to live in? Iran and Saudi Arabia are shining beacons of this philosophy, I'm sure they are great places to live.
Actually, small minorities rule those countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies