Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 11:58 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,203,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
I'm a moderate (fiscal) conservative.

I usually consider AP and Reuters to be fairly reliable and not too terribly biased.
I cannot count the number of times lately I've seen a Republican screaming about how AP and Reuters are "fake news."

Well, if they are fake do we even have REAL news anymore?

Sigh.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:59 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,086,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Every story from every MSM organization gets the "fake news" tag when you guys disagree with it. I'd like to compile a list of news sites you actually believe to be credible. Please, list a couple, so I know which facts I can present that won't be dismissed out of hand.
The msm isn't fake news because we disagree with it.

It's fake news because it's void of any verifiable facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

34,937 posts, read 36,203,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknyc View Post
Fox news
When Fox is airing news and not editorials, I agree. They lean right, but they are not fake news at all.

34,620 posts, read 21,578,023 times
I've always been a fan of CBS and Dan Rather following their display of journalistic excellence with the Bush Texas National Guard reporting.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:00 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,578,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknyc View Post
Fox news
Fish on!!!!!!

Old 12-15-2016, 12:01 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,175,852 times
No news source can be assumed to be entirely unbiased.
Listen to multiple sources, think for yourself, and have the courage to admit when your beliefs may be wrong, or when you really don't know what the truth is.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:02 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,175,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Field & Stream
Hot Rod Magazine

I'd like to add Guns & Ammo and Swank to that list.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:04 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,409,322 times
First we have to define what is "news". If a plane crashes and a station reports that a plane crashed, they have accurately reported the "news".

In my opinion, 75% of all news reports are actually opinion pieces. There are a few dozen key words I look for when evaluating any piece. Anytime I see them, I discount the story.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:09 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,268,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
First we have to define what is "news". If a plane crashes and a station reports that a plane crashed, they have accurately reported the "news".

In my opinion, 75% of all news reports are actually opinion pieces. There are a few dozen key words I look for when evaluating any piece. Anytime I see them, I discount the story.
Spot on.

Ironically often the best places for actual US news are non-US agencies. BBC is great, CBC is good, as long as it's not a political topic. Al Jazeera used to be good, they almost stepped all over themselves to be middle of the road when they first started, but they declined as money got tight.

Really for me, I'll try and read as much from all sides about a topic as I can, and try to determine the real middle. I'll read it on Fox/Headline news, and pick a spot somewhere in between. CNN is crap for the most part. It's closer to Entertainment Tonight than the BBC.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:13 PM

20,122 posts, read 16,123,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Every story from every MSM organization gets the "fake news" tag when you guys disagree with it. I'd like to compile a list of news sites you actually believe to be credible. Please, list a couple, so I know which facts I can present that won't be dismissed out of hand.
Wall Street Journal
BBC International
The Economist
PBS
C-Span (primary source news)

By the way, I enjoy Al Jezerra, The Atlantic, VOX, and Salon, although all have a tendency to be left leaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies