Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 04:34 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times

Advertisements

A big part of the problem, is that we keep throwing the word diversity around without defining our terms. "Diversity" has great approval numbers, even as it's kneecapped by its own nebulousness.

Diversity, to me, is always a buzzword. Nothing more, less.

I am not going to pretend a half white/half chinese or (whatever asian) person can speak for a German/Irish/Japanese.

So what is the point?

"Diversity" to a certain degree, seems like

"We have two new partners who are so diverse, I have a challenge pronouncing their names."

To me, intention is EVERYTHING.

Does the company/school treat everybody equally? Diversity is ONLY good when getting comfortable with the idea that efforts to incorporate a wider array of voices might be greeted with a good deal of skepticism.

On the other end of the spectrum, real workplace diversity also means recognizing the real talent and creativity of your shiny new hires.

I am a freelance artist. Art is my hobby and not the way I make a living. Thanks God.

To me, Most arts thrive — as they always have — in places not reserved exclusively for the arts. Arts take place in the home, at churches, temples, and community centers, in playgrounds and schools, in malls and coffee shops — beneath the radar of the larger public discussion of the arts. That is diversity to me. It is not about different colors of people create one artwork. It has nothing to do with it. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 04:34 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Oh yeah? Tell me all about these plans you conservatives have been working on!

Are railroad cars anywhere in these plans?
Yes, and vast regional mental hospitals.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:52 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times
The answer to this is simple.

Don't hire young college graduates.

There are plenty of older folks who need jobs and have both common sense and a work ethic.

Once it is clear that college in its current form isn't leading to good jobs, the colleges will change or go out of business.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
It seems most of the outrage for this has very little to do with what happened and more with who did it. Granted, this is only a two page thread, but not one post really seemed to articulate why this is a problem. And that's not an endorsement of what happened from me. I think it's actually quite ridiculous to remove the greatest writer in the English language's portrait from the English department. But it's also the English department of an institution I have no connection to. So long as the English department still values the literature of Shakespear and has it's students read it, I can't say that this is something to really do anything more than chuckle at.

But, I'm open minded. Who here that has complained can tell me what the greater consequences of this event are and why we should be talking about it.
The problem is that students and/or their professors think that great art is a function of race rather than of imagination.

That's called being stupid and uneducated -- not to mention closed minded, racist and bigoted.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:59 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
So, removing a painting that was supposed to have been replaced several years ago, and placing in the department head's office... is "students tear down Shakespeare".
...a trivial point. Why not address the main issue: there are literature students, and professors, at elite colleges who are so warped in their thinking as to believe that a Shakespeare portrait should be taken down for political reasons.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Elaborate?

Bare in mind, I saw your post on the argument of ethnic purging, though at that point, it was not an argument as you didn't really back it up. I won't even ask you to though, but I do want to know what the motivation is. Exactly what is the perceived benefit of this ethnic purging you believe is happening?
Marginalizing white people and their European-derived culture.

It's the first step in what is called "genocide."

Old 12-17-2016, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I wouldn't read too much into the Trump victory. Sure economics is a big motivator but liberals have racialized even that. I don't need the media to know liberals are anti-white. About everything they do and say is. They never have one sincere nice thing to say about them. It's just never ending criticism and opposition.
Exactly.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:11 AM

The irony here is that most of this anti-white sentiment comes from white liberals, who think it's "cool" to be against their own race and European heritage.

But -- of course -- they are only against whites in general, not themselves.

Very similar to white advocates of racial preferences for non-whites who would never think of giving up their OWN jobs or positions to non-whites.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:14 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
The irony here is that most of this anti-white sentiment comes from white liberals, who think it's "cool" to be against their own race and European heritage.

But -- of course -- they are only against whites in general, not themselves.

Very similar to white advocates of racial preferences for non-whites who would never think of giving up their OWN jobs or positions to non-whites.
Or their neighborhoods.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:26 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,681 times
Really all this fake outrage? Do any of the special snowflakes here need a safe space? This what we have to look forward to with trump being president whinning like he does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies