Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 10:06 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Isn't it great to see more people wishing openly each other Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah.

Even at store registers I hear it now again and people smiling while saying it.

I never understood the reason why not to say it as I never felt offended when someone wished me merry Christmas.
I love Chrismakah too as years ago the OC showed it during an episode.

In CA it may not be mentioned by the overwhelmingly liberal state and that is their choice and right but I'm so glad that PC is leaving the WH and I guess Michelle with her lost hope will be getting to see how hope for the rest of America will look like,as Michelle's hope never reached Chicago and other places that she didn't care about.

Merry Christmas/ Happy Chanukah to everyone on this forum.
Most people don't care what is said.
(Except those who have a need to be publicly outraged by every little thing and those who benefit from proclaiming that there is a war on the time of year).

Seasons Greetings and have a Happy Holiday.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:08 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee
Isn't it great to see more people wishing openly each other Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah.
Yes it sure is...... I usually say one or the other,always have

Old 12-17-2016, 10:27 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Bill O'Reilys book doesn't mention anything about Obama's Christmas greetings unless I missed something.
One, I didn't see anything about Obama and O'Reilly on either link. Two, from the Media Matters link:

Quote:
O'Reilly, host of Fox News' The O'Reilly Factor, has recently waged a campaign against corporations that greet customers with "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." For his part, Gibson, the host of Fox News' The Big Story with John Gibson, has published a book titled The War on Christmas: How the Liberal Plot to Ban the Sacred Christian Holiday Is Worse Than You Thought (Sentinel, October 2005).

Old 12-17-2016, 11:02 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
The original War on Christmas was waged by the Christian Puritans who deemed acknowledgement and celebration sinful and thus a crime in New England in the 16-17th centuries.

Dang immigrants who refused to assimilate challenged the laws with celebrations and in doing so changed the US culture. Nonetheless, 12/25 remained a business as usual day until 1870 when Congress declared it a national holiday. This dovetailed nicely with the emerging commercialization of Christmas with most decorations being imported from other countries.

90 years ago Henry Ford declared a War on Christmas. This was followed by the John Birch Society.

Fast forward to 2004 when Bill O' Reilly ran an entire segment " Christmas under Siege". Since then, the contrived war has become a very profitable staple of the 24 hour news cycle.

Pew Research concluded that 90% of US people celebrate Christmas. This includes the 17% of the population that identifies as Hispanic.

That some of the 90% perpetuate the myth of a war is nothing more than a reaction to for profit fake news. It seems to appeal to those that appear to enjoy living in a perpetual state of outrage about something or another.

As an aside, not all Christians celebrate Christmas and most orthadox Christians do not celebrate on 12/25.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:15 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I live in the NE. Might not be West Texas but it is still part of the US and jews are pretty common here, and they don't even require us to stay in "jewish neighborhoods", crazy I know!

My answer to your question would be "why would you assume anyone is christian then if you don't like it assumed you are jewish?"
I don't care if they assume I'm Jewish, but me saying Merry Christmas would be a dead give away that I'm not.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:16 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

Even at store registers I hear it now again and people smiling while saying it.

I never understood the reason why not to say it as I never felt offended when someone wished me merry Christmas.
I love Chrismakah too as years ago the OC showed it during an episode.

In CA it may not be mentioned by the overwhelmingly liberal state and that is their choice and right but I'm so glad that PC is leaving the WH and I guess Michelle with her lost hope will be getting to see how hope for the rest of America will look like,as Michelle's hope never reached Chicago and other places that she didn't care about.

Merry Christmas/ Happy Chanukah to everyone on this forum.
Back from where?

I never stopped wishing people "Merry Christmas " or "Happy Chanukah."

Never didn't hear it from others either.

What rocks have people been living under that they have been so deprived?

Old 12-17-2016, 11:26 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,049,332 times
Perhaps it's just me, but I have never in my life said "Merry Christmas" except on the actual day, beginning after midnight on Christmas Eve. These days it seems that people start saying it weeks ahead of time, just to make a point. And yes, some do say it in a deliberate manner, or with an edge in their voice.

What I say on these days leading up to Christmas is "Enjoy the holidays."

Old 12-17-2016, 11:29 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
The modern war on Christmas has been one of the most ridiculous conspiracies put out by the right. There is no war on Christmas.

There are more and more non religious people, so they won't be as inclined to say Merry Christmas, but that doesn't mean we are waging war on Christmas.

I'm an atheist, but I have no problem saying Merry Christmas, but i also don't go out of my way to say it a lot. I love Christmas time, but it doesn't have quite the same meaning to me as to Christians.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:09 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
I'm going to start saying "Happy Christmas".
It doesn't make sense for modern American's to use the term "Merry". Who actually talks like that?
Merry Holidays? Merry birthday?

Old 12-17-2016, 12:50 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Happy Holidays, Happy Holidays, Happy Holidays!!

Happy Saturnalia and Happy Winter Solstice too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies