Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 07:39 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
For the same reason that liberals, who endlessly voice their support of the endless growth of Big Government, NEVER, EVER send a voluntary check on top of their required tax payments. Yet to hear them talk, you'd think Washington is responsible for everything good in America.
When do you ship off to fight in the wars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 08:15 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
China is cracking down. What was in the past is irrelevant.

Nobody forces anyone to go where they can freely pollute.
So you are saying China has US-style environmental regs and that the regulators are enforcing them in the manner it happens here? If not, then pollution still increases when we regulate companies out of the US,and that's before we add the environmental impact of shipping it back to the US.

People need to start looking at the total environmental impact of the choices being made. Shutting it down in the US does no good if the demand still exists.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
So you are saying China has US-style environmental regs and that the regulators are enforcing them in the manner it happens here? If not, then pollution still increases when we regulate companies out of the US,and that's before we add the environmental impact of shipping it back to the US.

People need to start looking at the total environmental impact of the choices being made. Shutting it down in the US does no good if the demand still exists.
Nobody has shut any business down and forced it to go to another country.

Old 12-24-2016, 07:38 AM

421 posts, read 204,969 times
Quote:
No, but they have been indirectly "forced" to leave thru the forces of the economy/market (which leftists make worse with their taxes etc). It's so simple

Leftists want all the trappings/goodies of hi-tech civilization, but they don't want the pollution/dirty factories/slave labor associated with producing those shiny gadgets at an affordable price. You can't have both

Old 12-24-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scend57 View Post
No, but they have been indirectly "forced" to leave thru the forces of the economy/market (which leftists make worse with their taxes etc). It's so simple
No they haven't.

Quote:
Leftists want all the trappings/goodies of hi-tech civilization, but they don't want the pollution/dirty factories/slave labor associated with producing those shiny gadgets at an affordable price. You can't have both
We can.

According to a teardown carried out by IHS Markit, a 32GB iPhone 7 that retails for $649 costs Apple only $219.80 in components, with manufacturing adding another $5 to the price.

Do you really think that Apple will go under if the cost of manufacturing even triples? Quadruples?

http://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-h...costs-to-make/

Old 12-24-2016, 04:33 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,625,222 times
I don't understand science deniers either. So What?

Old 12-24-2016, 04:50 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scend57 View Post
Unless your witty post was composed on a Commodore 64 or a KayPro II, you're using one of those shiny gadgets, so by your own logic I guess you want the pollution/dirty factories/slave labor associated with producing them.

You can't have both

Old 12-24-2016, 05:04 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,164 times
Quote:
Businesses give many reasons for why they leave, and not always the truth if it is politically incorrect.

Are you saying that the environmental impact is less if manufacturing is done in China rather than in the US. If not, then environmentalists should be doing everything they can to retain manufacturing in the US and to bring back businesses that left for China.

True environmentalism is basic math and science devoid of politics. If the pollution for any given operation would be is less in the US than in China, then environmentalists should work to keep it in the US. Most so called environmentalists however are of the NIMBY variety. I live in Vermont which is a very eco-friendly State that sings the praises of renewal energy all day long. However, pretty much every solar project is fought tooth and nail because it is never the right size or in the right spot. Propose a wind project and near hysteria ensues. Hydro power can't even be spoken of and forget transmission lines that will bring hydro power down from Quebec. Transmission lines are ugly I hear. Biomass generated energy? Not a chance. Want to burn cleaner natural gas instead of oil? Great, but just don't try to pipe it anywhere. To a one however they want the lights to come on when they flick the switch. They just want the environmental impact to be in some other State. Collectively nationwide, environmentalists just want the impact to be in another country more than they want the actual least polluting impact.

Old 12-24-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymclure View Post
No, they won't go under. But there's a reason Apple and most other consumer electronics companies manufacture in China. In electronics manufacturing, particularly consumer electronics, the name of the game is to squeeze every last cent out of the product cost, because that is pure profit.

For a while, I worked on consumer electronics products. We would constantly scrub the bills of materials, looking for ways to cut parts costs. With one product I worked, I was told to reduce the final test time by 5x, because that extra test time cost money. (I didn't like it, since it was a new product, but was overruled).

Using the iPhone example, if Apple sells 100 million phones (a conservative estimate, since shipments the past 2 years were double this), and the cost of manufacturing goes from $5 to $15, that's $1 billion less profit. And that's only phones - never mind iPads and computers. Could Apple absorb this lost profit? Sure. But corporations aren't magnanimous or patriotic - they're in it to make as much money as possible.

It sucks, and I personally would like to see more manufacturing in the U.S., but there aren't easy answers to this.
You are arguing that we should say "screw the environment and the health of the people to make sure Apple get their few percent more profit.

Screw that. I didn't vote for Trump but I do hope he lives up to his promises to put it to the companies that do this.

Old 12-25-2016, 06:16 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymclure View Post
No, they won't go under. But there's a reason Apple and most other consumer electronics companies manufacture in China. In electronics manufacturing, particularly consumer electronics, the name of the game is to squeeze every last cent out of the product cost, because that is pure profit.

For a while, I worked on consumer electronics products. We would constantly scrub the bills of materials, looking for ways to cut parts costs. With one product I worked, I was told to reduce the final test time by 5x, because that extra test time cost money. (I didn't like it, since it was a new product, but was overruled).

Using the iPhone example, if Apple sells 100 million phones (a conservative estimate, since shipments the past 2 years were double this), and the cost of manufacturing goes from $5 to $15, that's $1 billion less profit. And that's only phones - never mind iPads and computers. Could Apple absorb this lost profit? Sure. But corporations aren't magnanimous or patriotic - they're in it to make as much money as possible.

It sucks, and I personally would like to see more manufacturing in the U.S., but there aren't easy answers to this.
Quote:
You are arguing that we should say "screw the environment and the health of the people to make sure Apple get their few percent more profit.

Screw that. I didn't vote for Trump but I do hope he lives up to his promises to put it to the companies that do this.
It doesn't appear troymclure is satisfied with the status quo given his last sentence.

From my perspective, he seems to be applying a critical thinking approach to problem solving. After all, the first steps, using that approach, are to:
  1. Identify the problem
  2. Define the circumstances

His response seemed to be to pragmatically define the circumstances in an already identified problem. & the fact that he is seeking answers is more than promising.

Mr. Friedman wrote the following essay in 1970, he describes an ideology that is stunningly familiar in the present day, & further defines the context/circumstances/framework one would need to consider if problem solving or trouble shooting was the goal or objective:

Quote:
When I hear businessmen speak eloquently about the "social responsibilities of business in a free-enterprise system," I ...
The Social Responsibility of Business is to Increase its Profits, by Milton Friedman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies