Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2016, 03:26 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,684,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
That hasn't even happened. And just because they claimed that (maybe) that doesn't mean others weren't claiming what I said. Neither has happened.

REPENT the end is near!!!
Hmm, I posted scientific literature, all readily accessible on open source journals and you are doing the internet equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and mumbling the same thing over and over again.

Do you have any evidence that hurricane intensity isn't increasing over the same period in the articles I posted? I think I posted 4 so that would be a good number of sources to post. Please make sure they are primary lit.

Quote:
No it hasn't. Your god is a false god.
Again, I am trying to discuss the science with you, and have provided sources. You ignore them and then bring up religion. Is it that your point is so tenuous that you can't defend it without making strawman arguments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 03:31 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,075,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Hmm, I posted scientific literature, all readily accessible on open source journals and you are doing the internet equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and mumbling the same thing over and over again.

Do you have any evidence that hurricane intensity isn't increasing over the same period in the articles I posted? I think I posted 4 so that would be a good number of sources to post. Please make sure they are primary lit.
You didn't post anything.

Quote:
Again, I am trying to discuss the science with you, and have provided sources. You ignore them and then bring up religion. Is it that your point is so tenuous that you can't defend it without making strawman arguments?
You are posting things that either someone would have to go to some library to look up or simply is not true. People can point to the Bible to prove that someone was swallowed by a whale and spit out but...........

Old 12-18-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
You didn't post anything.

You are posting things that either someone would have to go to some library to look up or simply is not true. People can point to the Bible to prove that someone was swallowed by a whale and spit out but...........
Oh jeez are you deliberately pretending that online journals don't exist? Or google scholar?

All of the citations I posted, I accessed from online sources. They are all free to by the way. No need to go to the library.

Do you also really think a scientific article is the same thing as the bible?

Old 12-18-2016, 03:42 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,839,457 times
Quote:
This has been predicted for decades with the opposite actually happening. Ocean view homes are not going down in prices.
In Florida homes on the shore are going down in price.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/24/sc...tate.html?_r=0

Quote:
MIAMI — Real estate agents looking to sell coastal properties usually focus on one thing: how close the home is to the water’s edge. But buyers are increasingly asking instead how far back it is from the waterline. How many feet above sea level? Is it fortified against storm surges? Does it have emergency power and sump pumps?

Rising sea levels are changing the way people think about waterfront real estate. Though demand remains strong and developers continue to build near the water in many coastal cities, homeowners across the nation are slowly growing wary of buying property in areas most vulnerable to the effects of climate change.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...cky-it-can-be/

Quote:
The sensor station at Virginia Key is located just off the coast of Miami, just south of Miami Beach, where rising sea levels mean that the streets flood regularly. So regularly that it's been covered by The Post, the Times and the Miami Herald — and likely many others.

"The city of Miami Beach floods on such a predictable basis," Elizabeth Kolbert wrote for the New Yorker last December, "that if, out of curiosity or sheer perversity, a person wants to she can plan a visit to coincide with an inundation." The day the issue was released, sea levels were eight inches above the projection.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:47 PM

3,843 posts, read 2,209,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
[b] Mitigate means to decrease or make the impacts of climate change less severe. The only way to do that is to reduce the output of greenhouse gases.

Nobody has shown that we have any impact whatsoever on the climate.

The climate is ALWAYS changing and human activity has nothing to do with it.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:48 PM

14,651 posts, read 14,575,727 times
As scientists love to point out, science isn't affected by whether you believe it or not. It's not religion or politics.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Nobody has shown that we have any impact whatsoever on the climate.

The climate is ALWAYS changing and human activity has nothing to do with it.

I swear this should be a sticky I have to type it so often.

Yes, the climate is naturally variable. This is called the Milankovitch cycle, and it is due to orbital issues like obliquity, precession, eccentricity, etc. It is completely measurable, and is not responsible for the current climate variation because based on Milankovitch factors, we should be cooling.

As for the first, that is just plain old not true. The following are facts.

1.Carbon dioxide, methane, NOx, ozone, etc. are all greenhouse gases.
2.Increasing greenhouse gases increases greenhouse effect.
3. Human activities like producing concrete, and burning fossil fuels, gives off greenhouse gases to the atmosphere.

Now how much we are effecting the atmosphere is debatable, as are what the predicted effects will be.

But the notion that we cannot influence climate, is just untrue.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:58 PM

57,073 posts, read 26,036,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinette118 View Post
Mankind did not create this earth.

Although, tech advances make many feel they are gods and can control the universe.

Only our creator can repair the damage man has done to the earth.

How they think they can stop global warming, polar ice caps melting and prevent hurricanes and flooding is ridiculous.

Scientists and governments are made up of humans, not gods, they research but ultimately have no power to fix this planet.

So instant releases of fossil fuels, burning of forests that have stored carbon for millions of years has no impact on our atmosphere whatsoever. The balance of CO2 won't change? Research indicates otherwise or maybe you don't believe the data regarding CO2.

No man didn't create earth but he is doing his best to screw up a good thing. I think you believe the earth is warming, since you don't believe it's man what natural phenomena do you attribute to warming.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:05 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,545,038 times
Scientific fact: taxes do not remove greenhouse gases from the atmosphere.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Scientific fact: taxes do not remove greenhouse gases from the atmosphere.
True!

Taxes only limit the amount of greenhouse gases we PUT into atmosphere.

Luckily CO2 is part of the carbon cycle, so if we slow down putting it in there, the natural processes will be able to remove it over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies