Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 01:04 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,806,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Many democrats own guns. They just want more gun control. What's wrong with that
how about more criminal control instead? the gun grabbers always go after the guns rather than the people that wield them.

of course the other problem they have is that every law they suggest is either unconstitutional in nd of itself, or is an unconstitutional end run around the constitution itself.

i remind everyone we have this thing called the second amendment, and until such time as you can either repeal that, you wont get what you are wanting, the elimination of guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 01:56 AM

41,815 posts, read 51,008,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Many democrats own guns. They just want more gun control. What's wrong with that
Because what they consider "reasonable" is not. After the Orlando shooting the Republicans had a bill on the table that was endorsed by the NRA. Certainly you would agreeif you are going to strip someone of their rights you have to set the bar high?

It would have barred someone on the no fly list from purchasing a gun for 3 days, permanently with a court order. There was 0 votes from Democrats for this.

Old 12-26-2016, 03:51 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,150,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Because what they consider "reasonable" is not. After the Orlando shooting the Republicans had a bill on the table that was endorsed by the NRA. Certainly you would agreeif you are going to strip someone of their rights you have to set the bar high?

It would have barred someone on the no fly list from purchasing a gun for 3 days, permanently with a court order. There was 0 votes from Democrats for this.
There is only one Constitutional way to remove someone's rights and that is through due process. You arguing otherwise is not better than those you are arguing against.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:42 AM

41,815 posts, read 51,008,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There is only one Constitutional way to remove someone's rights and that is through due process. You arguing otherwise is not better than those you are arguing against.
I'd agree that the law the Republicans had would of had difficulty making it past SCOTUS but due process was preserved to some degree because there was only three day opportunity to block the sale. It would of required court order beyond that.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:54 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,741,672 times
I have wondered if the gun control fanatics are more worried about getting shot or having to shoot someone to defend themselves.

I am an economic and civil rights Liberal. IMHO being able to keep and carry arms is a fundamental civil right. History has provided overwhelming evidence that the authorities are NOT able to protect individuals from violent assault. Only the potential victim is capable of doing that.

I would like to see the 1934 Gun Control Act Repealed. It, among other annoyances, outlaws keeping of carrying a short shotgun. Those are one of the most effective defensive weapons ever made. They should be legal as well and any and all full automatic guns. What weapon an individual chooses to carry should be their decision and not the authorities.

Be alert, be aware, be armed.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'd agree that the law the Republicans had would of had difficulty making it past SCOTUS but due process was preserved to some degree because there was only three day opportunity to block the sale. It would of required court order beyond that.
So the (D)'s were correct in not voting for it. It's not OK to preserve our rights to "some degree".

Old 12-26-2016, 06:10 AM

12,268 posts, read 6,461,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
NRA is in the best position they have been in, in years! I hope they use their influence now! Get rid of the 1968 Gun Control Act!
Gun Control Act? When does that take effect?

Old 12-26-2016, 06:30 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,374,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
how about more criminal control instead? the gun grabbers always go after the guns rather than the people that wield them.

of course the other problem they have is that every law they suggest is either unconstitutional in nd of itself, or is an unconstitutional end run around the constitution itself.

i remind everyone we have this thing called the second amendment, and until such time as you can either repeal that, you wont get what you are wanting, the elimination of guns.
"Their coming for your guns" is just the NRA and Republicans scare tactics to get you to remember to send in your yearly dues.

Every gun I bought in the last three years the first thing I did at the gun store is to remove the NRA propaganda ad and ask the clerk to toss this in the garbage for me.

Why do I need to pay for 2nd amendment protection from a PAC when it is guaranteed.

How can the NRA dupe so many into paying them dues?

Why are Republicans so easily duped?

Lots of Liberals own guns and we don't need to pay the NRA for that right.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
"Their coming for your guns" is just the NRA and Republicans scare tactics to get you to remember to send in your yearly dues.

Every gun I bought in the last three years the first thing I did at the gun store is to remove the NRA propaganda ad and ask the clerk to toss this in the garbage for me.

Why do I need to pay for 2nd amendment protection from a PAC when it is guaranteed.

How can the NRA dupe so many into paying them dues?

Why are Republicans so easily duped?

Lots of Liberals own guns and we don't need to pay the NRA for that right.
Unfortunately people have to pool their funds to bring about lawsuits of this nature.

We have free speech rights but still, the ACLU plays an important role.

I agree that the NRA employs scare tactics and I don't agree with the ACLU every time but as long as we have those who are willing to chip away at our rights and people willing to vote for them both play an important role.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:00 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,880,975 times
Default The Left?

The left did underestimate the NRA and the the American people for the love of Freedoms we have. Conservatives came out of the wood work as Liberals cam out for Obama. The Left still does not grasp that the problem is criminals and the purchase of arms thru the Black Market.
Look at LA.

The Gangs are like little lawyers and the LAPD has challenges in controlling these groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies