Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 03:48 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Fine.

In the interest of preserving the English language I will say the following:

The use of the word " principal" in your post is incorrect. You should have used the word "principle" (as in a rule or fundamental guiding belief).

The word principal can be either the top administrator at a school, the amount borrowed in a loan, the most important matter at hand, etc.

Now, show the English language some love and respect and spell it and use it correctly.

It was an honest mistake. I know the difference between the two words and how they are spelled. Do you ever make a mistake? Seems like when someone doesn't agree with you they have to resort to this pettiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
What use would an employee be in a job where the clientele are Spanish-speaking and the employee only speaks English?

Most Hispanic Americans are bi-lingual so they also speak English. We have legal immigrants and tourists who are not Hispanic and that speak another language other than Spanish should Americans have to learn all their languages to gain employment also? No, I don't see that being required for the most part.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:57 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
Jesus Christ. Who green-lights these stupid articles?

This is the natural progression of becoming American. A few generations out it's either "no Spanish" or some horrid Spanglish hybrid.

And that's OK. Nothing special or endangered about the Spanish language in the world that we need to make some special effort to respect it.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I live in CA which of course has a high population of Spanish speakers from Mexico. Most of these immigrants being legal or illegal lose their ability to speak Spanish by the third generation. There are about 130 employees where I work, about half of them of Mexican decent. Many if not most, do not speak Spanish. Their parents intermarried and Spanish was no longer spoken at home when they were growing up. Or they simply stop speaking Spanish at home after the second generation. Spanish continues to be widely spoken but that's because there's always a large influence of new arrivals from Mexico.
It's almost comical to watch someone who grew up in Mexico walk up to a person who "looks Mexican" and start speaking Spanish to them, only to have that person tell them "I don't speak Spanish".

Quote: "Spanish continues to be widely spoken but that's because there's always a large influence of new arrivals from Mexico".

There lays the problem and it isn't going to change unless we start allowing in more immigrants from different lingual groups and stop so many from Mexico and other Spanish speaking countries from coming here. It's lop sided as hell and has been for some time now. Add so many illegal aliens from south of our border and their numerous family reunifications on our soil and that just complicates the matter.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:16 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The whole notion that today's immigrants will never assimilate into mainstream culture was flawed from the beginning and mainly pushed by people who gain power and money by dividing people into protected groups.
Agreed. it was all so very Pelosian and Clintonian.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Yeah, this is pretty silly to be perfectly honest. The Normans did impact English such that someone speaking Middle English today would certainly need a lot of work. They injected a lot of French into the language. The difference is Spanish is spoken in a bordering country . So there is no guarantee we will see the same result as a Polish speaker that does not have a nucleus on which to perpetuate itself.

If Spanish took over organically, I could not care less. Its the liberal social management of it. Its the liberal weepy , sappy BS that we must speak the native language of the poor brown people which is a dual insult to both cultures.

I pretty much agree with you except for the part about not caring if Spanish took over. I do care as Spanish is not our identifying language nor should it be any more than English should become the identifying language of Mexico especially if it happens via illegal immigration.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:01 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Jesus Christ. Who green-lights these stupid articles?

This is the natural progression of becoming American. A few generations out it's either "no Spanish" or some horrid Spanglish hybrid.

And that's OK. Nothing special or endangered about the Spanish language in the world that we need to make some special effort to respect it.
Americans take leave of their senses when it comes to foreign languages. Ben Stiller once said how 'Americans love to be mystified.'

What has more mystique than a foreign language? It's something exotic and glamorous.

It's also something most will never actually learn with any serious proficiency.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:22 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
If you don't think Spanish should be the official language of the US you are racist and xenophobic.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:00 AM

20,707 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I pretty much agree with you except for the part about not caring if Spanish took over. I do care as Spanish is not our identifying language nor should it be any more than English should become the identifying language of Mexico especially if it happens via illegal immigration.

Well again I said I don't care if is happened organically. The problem as always is double standards. Spanish is essentially receiving a subsidy. Though if Anglo America has no will to exist, then by all means go extinct. As much I as prefer Western Liberalism , Scottish enlightenment etc, without a will there is no way. Spanish authoritarianism is better than the Shakers whose psychotic religion propelled them to extinction. Seems like this illness remains. You can delight in the fact the the world will suffer without the Protestant work ethic , egalitarianism, and altruism that exists within it. They will know and record it. At the current rate, Anglo America seem to ripe to embrace Islam . Hey, Spain has a winning record against them at least . Better them than the alternative.

Old 12-22-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
If you don't think Spanish should be the official language of the US you are racist and xenophobic.
Says bleeding heart liberals and ethnocentrics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies