Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 09:03 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
No gripe with people speaking both to their children, but as the article correctly noted, that dynamic dies out by the third generation. Explains why the descendants of Chinese rail workers and Swedish farmers don't speak a lick of either.

Other countries embrace knowing more than one language either because the people already speak more than one (Canada, Switzerland, Spain) or because they are small countries near large ones and thus need to so as to survive (Netherlands, Denmark, Hungary).

We do not have an official language because English is the de facto language of the US and most people have little interest in balkanizing.
But... stick with me here...

What if a person finds that they need to live elsewhere, outside the US, one day?

It isn't bad to know more than one language. That's pretty much all I have to say on the subject. I cannot see a single, solitary, negative thing about speaking multiple languages.

People from the US are just about the only people who travel abroad and get pissed off when nobody speaks English. How self-absorbed can many of us be?

I mean, I hope they speak English when I'm in a country where I don't speak the language or do not speak it well, but EXPECT it? Nope.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:10 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
We owe it to our history to save Spanish from going the way of German, Italian and Polish.
Spanish is the language of an immigrant underclass in America.

I don't see the benefit in "saving" Spanish over any other foreign language in our nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 09:13 AM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
This is sort of a bone-headed article. First of all, Spanish is not going anywhere globally. It's a huge language spoken in most of the Americas.

As for the US, there is no danger of Spanish going anywhere right now, either. I hear Spanish nearly as much as I hear English. However, just as with so many other languages that have been spoken here over the years, in the absence of future influx of Spanish speakers, Spanish will become a minor language here as has other languages. Sure, there are people in the US who speak French, German, Italian, Chinese, etc. But those people overwhelmingly know how to speak English as well. This same cycle has been going on since the colonial days. It's nothing new and it's nothing to have a cow over.

By the way, I'm all for speaking any language you like, but doesn't it make sense to understand the language spoken around you by everyone else?

Old 12-21-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

I don't see the benefit in "saving" Spanish over any other foreign language.
It's the language of aristocrats, too. You are familiar with the country, Spain, no?

That's like saying there's no need to save English because too many poor people speak it.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:14 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
The whole notion that today's immigrants will never assimilate into mainstream culture was flawed from the beginning and mainly pushed by people who gain power and money by dividing people into protected groups.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:20 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
One language for one people.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:21 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

I don't see the benefit in "saving" Spanish over any other foreign language in our nation.
Not exclusively, here in Arizona, for example, we have many Spanish business in finance and import/export to and from Mexico. Much of the country overlooks how closely the economies in areas of this country are intertwined with Mexico, generally because they don't live in these areas.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:29 AM

243 posts, read 220,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
This is sort of a bone-headed article. First of all, Spanish is not going anywhere globally. It's a huge language spoken in most of the Americas.

As for the US, there is no danger of Spanish going anywhere right now, either. I hear Spanish nearly as much as I hear English. However, just as with so many other languages that have been spoken here over the years, in the absence of future influx of Spanish speakers, Spanish will become a minor language here as has other languages. Sure, there are people in the US who speak French, German, Italian, Chinese, etc. But those people overwhelmingly know how to speak English as well. This same cycle has been going on since the colonial days. It's nothing new and it's nothing to have a cow over.

By the way, I'm all for speaking any language you like, but doesn't it make sense to understand the language spoken around you by everyone else?
Couldn't have said it any better ! Speaking multipule languages is great . But at least know how to speak English if your an American .

Old 12-21-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notinpa View Post
Couldn't have said it any better ! Speaking multipule languages is great . But at least know how to speak English if your an American .
The irony in this post is delicious.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:39 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
But... stick with me here...

What if a person finds that they need to live elsewhere, outside the US, one day?

It isn't bad to know more than one language. That's pretty much all I have to say on the subject. I cannot see a single, solitary, negative thing about speaking multiple languages.

People from the US are just about the only people who travel abroad and get pissed off when nobody speaks English. How self-absorbed can many of us be?

I mean, I hope they speak English when I'm in a country where I don't speak the language or do not speak it well, but EXPECT it? Nope.
Nobody is stopping anyone from learning another language at any point in time. Last I checked, years and years of a foreign language is still mandatory in schools. At least here most offer Spanish, Italian, German, and Japanese. How much one tries and actually learns depends on the individual. My town has an Italian language school.

Many Americans understandably don't feel the need to know another language. Some haven't even left their state, let alone the country, and know they won't or won't have an interest to. Unlike many other countries *ahem like in Europe* where nations are tiny and border other nations with different languages and cultures, the US is huge and borders only two countries - one of which speaks predominantly English with some French enclaves. It's true that we don't NEED to know another language in the US. Learning another is a choice. We are constantly compared to Europeans in this regard (and also regarding travel) and it's an unfair comparison.

I don't see anyone saying it's bad to speak another language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies