Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 02:05 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
+ 1

Notice that Redzin defends Hispanics for the same thing he chides Americans for doing?
I'm giving you the side eye here because that is NOT what I said at all.

I think that Latinx people should learn some English. I never said they should not.

I just said that they should keep their Spanish skills strong and teach Spanish to their kids.

Big difference.

And, we should not give them a hard time if they're struggling with English when they move here.

They tend to know more than one language a LOT more often than white people (or black people, for that matter) born in the US do.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:06 PM

4,798 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default It's all Greek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
More and more people when they hear at least "Mexican" Spanish being used, they think illegal aliens. That's 1 BIG reason many of Americans of Hispanic family born after 1990 are refusing to use that language assuming their kind even speak it.

Too; with more and more Mexicans; legal and illegal aliens, are going back home cause life's getting better there AND it's becoming too dangerous to be in the US illegally. So; that's part of why IMHO the "Hispanic wave" has peaked and, is now dropping and fast.
Nah, you don't need the quote marks on Mexican Spanish - it's a perfectly good phrase. But I am curious - if people are irrationally proud of being monolingual English speakers - How do they know it's even Spanish being spoken, let alone Mexican Spanish? Sure, there are markers - but you need a certain amount of expertise in the language to ID them.

As for long-term immigration & return patterns for Mexican nationals to the US - it's all subject to change, of course. If Trump actually manages to preside over a renascent manufacturing sector & other sectors of the US economy boom - we're going to need more labor, more people to do the work. In the absence of a massive retraining effort & sorting through all the able-bodied on TANF, housing assistance, food stamps, & so on - which I can't really see a Trump administration even considering, let alone encouraging - Who do you think will fill those jobs, @ least @ the entry level?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
That's because of continued illegal immigration from south of our border and too much legal immigration from the same group who expects to be catered to in Spanish even though they know English. You brag about being bi-lingual because it earns "you" money even though it's because of the above and mono-lingual English speakers get discriminated against in hiring practices.
So, if they just learn Spanish, they can get jobs. Yay, capitalism!

I do speak Spanish, btw. But, I am a white girl born in the US.

I also speak a few other languages, though more at a "travel and basics" level.

I swear in MANY languages. Which is handy.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
It isn't, but when native English speakers are discriminated against in hiring practices in their own country for it that's the negative especially when it's to pander to illegal aliens and other Spanish speakers who know English but want to be pandered to in Spanish instead. All "immigrants" should learn English not the other way around. Should one have to know Spanish to order a damned hamburger in this country or any other public service job?
If one needs to speak Spanish to be a better candidate, why is it discrimination?

If I am competing for a job as, oh... a window washer and they require that people be able to walk in stilts, are they discriminating against me if I cannot walk in stilts? I mean, after all, not all window washing jobs require one to walk in stilts, but some of them do.

Not EVERY job requires people to speak Spanish and if they did? We'd all be learning it if we wanted to be competitive.

You say this like those jobs are just handed to ANYONE who can speak Spanish, regardless of their other skills.

That's not true at all.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Exactly, adapt. Times change. It's how the world works.

Other countries require their students to learn multiple languages. I was just in Mexico and there were hoards of Chinese and Japanese tourists speaking fluent Spanish. We're right next door and we're whining about possible discrimination?
You missed the memo. The world revolves around native English speakers born in the US. Even when their English skills are terrible.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Did you read the article? Thought not...

Spanish is confronting what might be called the “Three Generation Death” law of non-English languages here. German, Italian, and Polish all but disappeared after three generations — a first, immigrant generation that learned some English, a second, U.S.-born bilingual generation that lost its proficiency in the non-English language over time, and a third generation that grew up speaking English only, and knew the old language only by studying it.

Since the speaking of Spanish in the United States is clearly on the wane it would seem people are indeed adapting- as you- to speaking English and profiting by assimilating.

But feel free to discuss Cervantas in Spanish with you pool boy.
I have this issue going on in my family, but with another language.

And, my kids are upset that their father would not speak to them in his native language or help them learn it. Fortunately, their grandmother helps them (at this point, only my youngest is really interested and my other two have pursued other languages), but I really did want him to speak his native language to them when they were little.

He refused. He got it drilled into his head when he moved here that he should learn English ASAP so the people around him would, I don't know... accept him, I guess.

Which is silly.

For the record, his family immigrated here legally and are all US citizens.

So, yes... this sort of stuff bothers me because my kids would have grown up bilingual if my ex had taught them his language like I asked him to.

It's a tough language to pick up and learn after you're much over the age of 5 or 6. You can learn it (I speak some), but some of the sounds cannot be heard once you lose the flexibility of your neural pathways to hear those sounds.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:15 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think it is surely implied with the whole "people in the US should have to speak English!! sorts of comments that stem from discussions such as this one.
And a few people may have said something along those lines, but not everyone is saying that. I wouldn't mandate English, mainly because I generally don't like the use of government force where none is needed.

But you can't deny being fluent in English is of great practical utility here. Again, my family could have decided to reject English and stay with Danish, and that would have been going against the grain -- just like we could have decided to eschew daylight and live a nocturnal existence, but being diurnal and focusing on using English helped produce better outcomes. We could have tried to "keep the Danish alive" but other than some potential cognitive benefits knowing Danish today would be of little to no consequence in my life.

So it just makes sense to concentrate on becoming extremely fluent in English and being awake during the day. It has benefited me tremendously as a third-gen, whereas not knowing Danish has had little measurable effect on my overall well-being or my ability to contribute positively to my reality.

That said, I don't think the language learning I've done has necessarily been wasted, from an intellectual standpoint. The ways I've stretched my neurons have made me what I am today, although any given area of knowledge and skill might have little measurable impact on my existence.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:19 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
America is an English-speaking country for the most part. There are pockets of our country where other languages are dominant but in most of the U.S. English is all that people will hear and English is taught in the schools. Immigrants will have to pass on their native language to their children, otherwise they will likely grow up speaking only English. It would be the same situation if somebody in America moved to a non-English speaking country and had children there. They would likely grow up speaking that country's native language unless the parent passed on English.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Outside of LatAm or Spain; Spanish ain't important. Outside of France or some of its x colonies; French ain't important, either. English IS the go to language in the whole world. Period.

Me; I don't see the point of learning any other language cause I ain't leaving the US. Period.

OTOH if I decided I wanted to move to Mexico: I'd make damn sure to learn their kind of Spanish and, learn it well.

If talking American kids of foreign family: that's on the parents IF they want to teach their kids to speak "___". Tho that can get messy if each grandparent's from different countries like Germany, Spain, Nigeria and Japan.
I absolutely agree that people who move here should learn English. If for no other reason that because it's tough to get by here NOT knowing English.

I just think it's a shame to lose your native language when it can be so easily taught from birth.

And, it will NOT interfere with the learning of English by a small child at all.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:21 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
I will not adapt to cater to illegal aliens or arrogant Hispanics who want to be pandered to in Spanish when they know how to speak English just so I can make a buck. There's principal involved here. Apparently you put money above principal.
Fine.

In the interest of preserving the English language I will say the following:

The use of the word " principal" in your post is incorrect. You should have used the word "principle" (as in a rule or fundamental guiding belief).

The word principal can be either the top administrator at a school, the amount borrowed in a loan, the most important matter at hand, etc.

Now, show the English language some love and respect and spell it and use it correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies