Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 07:47 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Yes, because having billions automatically means he doesn't care about anyone else.
I agree. Having billions need not be the factor that determines an individual's personality or nature, but in the birther boy's case, the way he has conducted himself while having the wealth, the many ways he has attempted to grow his wealth and the people he has duped to do so, speaks volumes about his lack of integrity and willingness to lie and cheat at the expense of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 07:51 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Different situation entirely. Singers like Celine Dion are independent contractors who negotiate work on a case by case basis, not places of business that have an expectation of non-discriminatory service. Independent contractors are always allowed to accept or reject work as they see fit, and that applies to businesses, too. All the baker had to say is that he was already booked, and all would have been well, but he decided to make clear that he was turning down the couple's business specifically because they were gay, which is prohibited by law. I haven't seen any indication that Celine Dion has commented on Donald Trump, only that she has declined the invitation to perform, which is well within her rights. Just because someone offers you money to perform a job does not mean you have to accept it.
Celebrities are NOT independent contractors. They create and work for management companies that book their tours and appearances. If you have a contract with Sony Records, it should be up to Sony to accept or deny the work order.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:58 AM

858 posts, read 707,395 times
Can you really blame them? Trump is toxic right now because half the country thinks he's an embarrassment and unfit to be President. This is different than in the past where you might have just disagreed with them on politics alone. Either way, why would they want to open themselves up for bad publicity or boycotts. It's better to let it die down and then reevaluate whether you want to be associated with Trump later on

Old 12-22-2016, 08:06 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Actors/artists/musicians tend to be a pretty diverse group. Not too many old white men amongst them. Thus, they need to have their voice heard lest we become a nation of Nazi skinheads or KKK'ers--both of which tend to fall in line with Trumps spouting.

No, I don't think they believe they can sway Trump away from his polarized Take America Backwards, but they can ensure that another voice is heard from, and that America is many things: not just what it used to be.

Don't be too harsh on a group that wants to ensure balance in our society. Maybe you hate gays, or Muslims, or Latinos, but when it comes to singling out various demographic groups who's to say that you won't be next in line because you don't have a gun, drive a "foreign car", or have a child who is a lesbian. You'll be damned glad that someone stood up and argued that we are better people than the singular race that Trump espouses.

Trump is a major nut job, and despite his self labeled "I am a smart guy", he doesn't appear to be too bright nor posses much of a moral/ethical compass. He is quite unbalanced and could turn on any group at the drop of a hat. It doesn't hurt that we have groups that speak up about discrimination. They may be speaking for YOU before you know it with an unbalance kook in the White House.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:08 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Yet we're supposed to believe Trump who has billions does care about anyone but himself?

Good One!
Here's the difference: Trump ran for president because he felt that politicians haven't been doing their job.

Celebrities have done nothing more than mouthed off.

Talking doesn't do jackall. Action does.

Speaking of action, I'm still waiting for these celebrities to leave the U.S. I hope they put up 'help wanted' signs so that we can assist them with their packing.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:18 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Here's the difference: Trump ran for president because he felt that politicians haven't been doing their job.

Celebrities have done nothing more than mouthed off.

Talking doesn't do jackall. Action does.

Speaking of action, I'm still waiting for these celebrities to leave the U.S. I hope they put up 'help wanted' signs so that we can assist them with their packing.

Barbara Steisand claims to be an "environmentalist". That means she keeps the temperature of all her homes heated or cooled even when they are unoccupied.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:26 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Yes, because having billions automatically means he doesn't care about anyone else.
So he uses his Billions to help the less fortunate, cool, can you give us some fine examples?

Old 12-22-2016, 08:58 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Celebrities are NOT independent contractors. They create and work for management companies that book their tours and appearances. If you have a contract with Sony Records, it should be up to Sony to accept or deny the work order.
Celine Dion owns Les Productions Feeling, Inc. outright. The management company works for her, not the other way around. This is the case for many A-list celebrities. Try again.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:03 AM

1,544 posts, read 924,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
people who have worked for trump have nothing but good things to say about him.
Probably because Trump made them sign a gag order to prevent them from telling the truth about how much of an he really is.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:20 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
And this is the problem with liberals. They don't even see the topic, much less the solution.

Hint: Nobody cares what Celine Dion thinks. I haven't been able to stomach her for as long as I've known she existed, but that's beside the point. SHE WASN'T ASKED.

She's stupid like the high school drama queen declaring she wouldn't go to the prom with the cutest boy in school, even though he hasn't asked her and has already asked someone else.

Another hint in case you missed the first, obvious one: Nobody has asked the old nasty incredibly ugly Celine to perform at the inauguration. Nobody wants her to perform at the inauguration. Nobody gives 2 beeps about her ugly self.

Celine: You're not even an American, so sit down and shut up!

Thank you.
Excuse me - I DO understand the topic and it is not Celine Dion. She was noted as the most recent EXAMPLE of performers who refuse to perform for people they choose not be be associated with. Perhaps your reading comprehension deficits are holding you back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies