Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you accept your child if they came out as LGBT?
Yes, I would accept them 213 72.70%
I might have difficulty accepting them, but I will try 24 8.19%
I would accept it if they were gay or bisexual, but not if they were trans* 11 3.75%
I could not accept it 45 15.36%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 07:40 PM

18,429 posts, read 15,177,982 times

Advertisements

I just want my kids to have a happy life. As long as they are not hurting anybody else, I will accept whoever they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 07:54 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,774,502 times
A lot of parents can't accept gay children because they are embarrassed of how it will look on them if they have a gay child. A lot of the stories about parents throwing their kids to the streets when they come out of the closet come down to that.

I am in the closet, a big part of it being my family. I have been out before, but my family completely broke down and fell apart. They ended up manipulating me into conversion therapy and I have been closeted ever since (it didn't work, but my family thinks it did).

Old 12-23-2016, 08:07 PM

30,207 posts, read 23,629,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
A lot (if not most) parents are at least somewhat unsupportive, and while I understand that it takes time to adjust expectations, it's sad when relationships become strained due to a child coming out. Although some people may feel that sticking to their principles is more important, and if they love their child, maybe they feel that helping them leave the LGBT lifestyle is best.

What does everyone think here?
What would I care who my fictional kid dates as long as they aren't being hurt? What is the point of this thread? Genuine curiosity, or are you fishing for something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
A lot of parents can't accept gay children because they are embarrassed of how it will look on them if they have a gay child. A lot of the stories about parents throwing their kids to the streets when they come out of the closet come down to that.

I am in the closet, a big part of it being my family. I have been out before, but my family completely broke down and fell apart. They ended up manipulating me into conversion therapy and I have been closeted ever since (it didn't work, but my family thinks it did).
Are you old enough to support yourself? If you are, then live your own life and hell with them. Don't waste your fricken life trying to be something that you are not. This happens on different scales, not just a gay person, it happens in regards to occupation, likes/dislikes, religion, thoughts/beliefs....

You will hate yourself later if you don't be true to yourself right now. You have one life. Live it as you are. If they can't accept it, that's their problem.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:25 PM

31,944 posts, read 14,943,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
A lot (if not most) parents are at least somewhat unsupportive, and while I understand that it takes time to adjust expectations, it's sad when relationships become strained due to a child coming out. Although some people may feel that sticking to their principles is more important, and if they love their child, maybe they feel that helping them leave the LGBT lifestyle is best.

What does everyone think here?
I would absolutely support my child if they were bi, gay, transgender or whatever. How can you not support your child even if you disagree with them.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:26 PM

22,338 posts, read 11,869,541 times
Yes. I would continue to love and accept my child if she was gay. I feel the same way about my grandkids. They would always have my and my husband's love and acceptance.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:37 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,222,798 times
I would hope that the answer is yes for most of the people on here. I am a gay man in his early 30s who came out over a decade ago to my parents. They weren't fans and laid their guilt on me in a major way (tried to convince me to go to reparative therapy, which I rejected). I guess we get along ok, but our relationship is distant. They essentially chose their evangelical Christian views over me. Sometimes, I wonder why they even bothered having me. If you can't accept the fact that your future child could potentially be gay by no choice or fault of their own, then please do the world a favor and keep your legs shut.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:40 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,790,027 times
Of course I would accept it.

But I would worry every day about people mistreating him because of his orientation.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:44 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,896,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacSoc View Post
Absolutely not. I won't get into my own personal beliefs here but no.
Enough said..................

Old 12-23-2016, 08:45 PM

31,944 posts, read 14,943,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
I would hope that the answer is yes for most of the people on here. I am a gay man in his early 30s who came out over a decade ago to my parents. They weren't fans and laid their guilt on me in a major way (tried to convince me to go to reparative therapy, which I rejected). I guess we get along ok, but our relationship is distant. They essentially chose their evangelical Christian views over me. Sometimes, I wonder why they even bothered having me. If you can't accept the fact that your future child could potentially be gay by no choice or fault of their own, then please do the world a favor and keep your legs shut.
I was sympathetic to you until your last line about keeping legs shut. Women are always to blame I don't think so. How about men keeping it in their pants.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:46 PM

39,033 posts, read 27,449,807 times
I don't know. I don't have any children, so I cannot predict the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies